Found a RARE Post WW1 Howitzer Company Collar Disc

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG I didn't realize what I found when I posted my summer WW1 finds. My detecting partner Confederate1 went detecting today. We hit our normal park. Didn't find much. We decided to change locations. So we did. Well shortly after arriving one of my first targets was this Collar disc. When I dug it I told my buddy..Collar disc..He said "No Way"..I said oh yeah. Well after looking at it we saw the HZ insignia and I had no idea what it meant. I have dug several Mississippi and U.S. Collar Brass, but never one with the Letters HZ...So I put it in my pouch and kept kickin. Well rescanned the hole and had another signal. The gilted Button...Then another signal...a cuff button. After staying for about 10 more minutes I went home to the wife and the Honey Dews. Well I started researching...Couldn't find anything on the HZ insignia. So I gave up and put kids to bed. Well after a little more research I came across this page. According to the write up the HZ insignia stands for "Howitzer Company." They were part of infantry companies after WW1..Actually they were Mortar companies. Well the HZ collar disc I found was made in the Fall of 1921...They were made obsolete in October of 1921...Replaced by crossed muskets with the letters HZ under them. SO>>>> That means this collar disc was only made for a few months in the Year 1921!!! That boys and girls means that this is a rare disc...I am so freakin excited... :headbang: :hello2: This is one that I probably wont Top!! Thanks for looking...zaxfire69..

Disc.jpg

http://books.google.com/books?id=tr...&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

WW1 HZ Collar Disc

6abc51f9.jpg

Screw Back

7d2da792.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. What makes it rare is it was only made for a few months then made obsolete. Replaced by a disc with crossed muskets and HZ in small letters under the rifles. Such limited production has got to count for something.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Colorado.
:thumbsup: