Checkin out my own back yard!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good Morning All!

Thought I'd give my own backyard a shot yesterday. I've lived here almost two years now. I rent an apartment in a house that was divided up in the fifties. Not sure the exact year this house was built, but some of the surrounding houses were built in the turn of the century. The neighborhood I live in is very historic. I remember my neighbor(in the back of the house, same property) telling me that she found a jar of coins in the bushes when she first moved here. She also found a liberty dime in the front yard on top of the ground. Not sure if someone just dropped it or if it washed up.

Anyway...I decided to detect our yard yesterday to maybe find a cache. I'm getting some faint signals so far. I got excited when I found an old Ball Mason jar lid. I also found some broken glass. I'm almost certain that I may just find something soon. It's really hard to dig in some places in the yard because it was covered in large gravel at some point. Any suggestions on digging in rocks? It's really a pain :-\

I will keep you posted if I "strike it rich" soon.

Diggin it!
Moon

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For digging in rocks, gardening tools designed for just that, like a hoe, garden pick, etc. should work. Good luck on finding the rest of your jar of coins!

N

neu

for digging in rock, i use a masonry hammer, its got a long flat pick on one end, very good for digging and moving rock

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely add one of those to my tool pouch.

Interesting find yesterday...no coin cache, but I did find two musket balls. At least I'm pretty sure that's what they are. I've searched here and the web to get some photos of musket balls and from what I've seen and read, I think I got them ID'd. I'll post a pic soon.

I spent a couple of hours at a baseball park yesterday and found a little clad and a sterling silver baseball player pendant. Pretty cool find. It registered as a dime and when I got to it, I thought it was scrap. Gotta love this hobby!

Have a good week all!
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread