recharged interest in metal detecting !!!!

redbird

Jul 29, 2005
i have been treasure hunting on ebay for too long so i decided to brush the dust off the old GTA100 and hit a few places, in the last week and a half i have found:

handful of clad. dimes quarters, even nickels
another handful of memorial cents

close to a dozen wheats (oldest being a 1928)

a 1907 indian (very high grade)

silver: 1919 and two 1959 D dimes and a 1944 quarter

probably not very exciting to most of you, but the last time i dug a silver coin was in '97 thats how long its been since ive found anything significant. well, this year is gonna be different. i plan to hunt at least a few hours every week, and do a few hours worth of research a week as well. i have come to the conclusion that if i want to find that seated coin this year, im gonna have to put forth some effort, so far making excuses why i cant go isnt helping me find one.

anybody from SE mich need some hunting company ?? im working on gaining permission for two sites that should give up some goodies, the best part is it is only possible to hunt them for a few more weeks, after that the mosquitos will be horrible.

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your on track....

B

brz

welcome back and way to go on the finds. something way distracting must have happened to keep you away from swinging for so long.Glad your back :D

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
In my book any day you find silver is a good day -- keep it up and I hope you get that seated this year.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
yep,,, (3) silver and an Indian Head, looks like your of to a great start at coming back, WTG!!!
Welcome back to the greatest hobby there is...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Yep....I agree with Gypsy.......I should be so lucky :-[ Welcome Back!! Keep us posted on your finds!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds exciting to me!! ;D

Great stuff RB!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
R

redbird

Jul 29, 2005
getting closer !! i spent the better part of the day in a patch of woods that is supposed to be an old picnic grove, i believe i found part of it, here's the take for the day:

1 indian (pretty well worn, can only see 186 of the date
10 wheats 1911 to 1951
1920 canada cent
1907 canada dime (first coin i found)
1905 barber dime
and 1 memorial im getting close guys !!! i can feel it ! this grove was supposed to be in use for about 30 years so i may not be the first to find it.

next hunt is in a field where a church used to be, during the summer months on saturday night you could buy a chicken dinner for 10c (i read this in an 1890's newspaper) im drooling just thinking about the dimes that were lost !!! first i have to double check the location and get permission.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Redbird. And nice finds. Tsgman

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
RED, Welcome Back, Nice Finds. Best of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 052.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 052.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 241
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 052.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 052.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 234

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know what you mean redbird,It wasn't till last Nov. that I started back up again and I'm glad I did.My avatar was found with a cheap Radio Shack model back in the early 90's.Got to love it,hooked for life this time...Great find's and welcome back to the "madness"

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome back and congrats on the finds. Just so you know I may have found a solution for the mosquito problem. Last year I bought a gadget for hunting from cabela's outdoor catalog called a Thermacell mosquito repeller and it seemed to help alot costs about 20-30 bucks. hope this helps and hopefully will extend your time thing....HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going and congrats on the silver and old! Welcome back and good job on the research. HH, Mike

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ricky1601 said:
Welcome back and congrats on the finds. Just so you know I may have found a solution for the mosquito problem. Last year I bought a gadget for hunting from cabela's outdoor catalog called a Thermacell mosquito repeller and it seemed to help alot costs about 20-30 bucks. hope this helps and hopefully will extend your time thing....HH
I took one of the Thermacell's up to Canada bear hunting last Oct.,Work's like a charm....Not one bite,and they were there.I'm pretty sure you can get belt clip's(case's)for them.Pretty inexpensive,try one out,you'll be surprised..HH!!

OP
OP
R

redbird

Jul 29, 2005
i went through a stage where i was discouraged with finding modern coins, and other things in life took priority over my free time, here in michigan the hunting season is rather short, spring is nice cuz the ground is still good and wet, i have a severe skin reaction to most mosquito repellant so i cant use it, i have tried those small electric mosquito repellers with ZERO luck, i live in a part of michigan that was settled in the 1830's but everything is under asphalt so hunting sites are a little hard to find. i have been going to all the historical museums and donating items that i have found in that particular city, once you do that, the people will share with you all kinds of good leads, today i learned of an old horse race track from the early 1900's as well as an old recreation area that was in use from the 20's to late 30's every weekend there was 100 or so people in that place, as long as the weather was nice. 50c admission, a candy store, pony rides for a nickel, picnic grounds, swimming area, all kinds of things to do, thats the next place im gonna hit. i guess i would settle for a few nice 16d dimes now and wait a little longer for the seated stuff, im sure there were seated coins still circulating around in the 20's but they were undoubtedly low grade. bet hey you just never know and thats part of the fun ! happy hunting to all !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions