diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That depends. Do you plan on taking them to the fleamarket to unload them? If not then.........
If it was me i'd clean them up a little and pack them up and sell them for whatever I could get out of them. Customers can buy new lids and seals and as long as the glass isn't "sick" then they are good for re-use. Depending on how old they are some of them could fetch a good penny or two. By the way, people buy crates and barrels too. About the cast iron stove....people buy anything even if it's not in the best of shape . So the answer in short is YES! Can you post a pic of the stove and crates and barrels? Also what do the jars say on them it looks like you might have some square Ball jars there. I'd love to have all these to sell. Need more pics of jar types.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's very decent of you gxray to be considering the idea of finding another use for these jars. I used to collect early preserve jars years ago. The round ones are typically older then the square sided ones. Mason usually dated his on the bottom and often on the glass sealer lid as well. If the metal lids and the glass sealer are in good shape, it would be a shame to see them go to a land fill.

If I were you, I'd collect as many of the most complete ones and the ones in the best condition. Then maybe rent a space and a folding table at a local Sunday Flea Market for $50 bucks and sell each for $5 - $10 a piece. These look nice as a vase to hold flowers on a table, holding buttons, coins, nails, screws or just about anything else that you need storage for.

I just think that these jars are a part of our past, they're still functional and we certainly can find other creative uses for them. I believe in the motto Reduse, Reuse and Recycle.

Good luck gxray and let us all know what you decide to do.
Dave

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gxray said:
what is "sick" glass?...please explain.
"Sick glass" is a cloudy film that makes a glass bottle or jar look like it's dirty or stained inside. No amount of washing or using CLR will get rid of this. You often see this in bottles that have been excavated, the bottles are simply starting to "breakdown". Please see definition below.

Sick Glass or Glass Disease

Glass disease is caused by an inherent fault in the chemical composition of the original glass formula. Usually, inadequate calcium oxide causes the alkalis in the glass to remain water soluble at a low level. Exposure to higher levels of relative humidity during storage or display causes these salts to hydrate and leach out of the glass. Upon a reduction of relative humidity, these hydrated salts can then form a crust on the surface. This process causes a complex disintegration of the glass which can be identified through a variety of symptoms. One such sign is the aforementioned crusty deposits which can form a visible hard alkaline coating on the surface. Another symptom is a distinctive network of fine cracking, also called crizzling, which can reduce the transparency of the glass or even threaten the integrity of the structure.

Attachments

• Glass_Disease.jpg
    Glass_Disease.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,332

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YES. Some fruit jars are worth several hundred dollars. Some of the green and clear ones are not worth much unless they are the older ones.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes get all you can that is not broken, chipped or cracked. Well worth your time....Matt

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gxray said:
Recently , in an old barn , I found hundreds and hundreds of mason jars and fruit jars in boxes , crates and barrels and scattered about all over the place. Also an old French style woodstove ( very ornate) with a crack in it. Do y'all think these are worth salvaging?...your opinions are appreciated.

Theyre really not worth much...But i wouldnt Mind getting rid of them for ya :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:..Haha.. EBAY THEM!!!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you found dollar bills laying there instead of all the jars would you pick em up ?.............theres your answer

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , you should clean these with warm soapy water and recover and clean any lids - take
them to your local flea and see if you get any takers at 50 cents or a buck each . Argentium.

poppy in pa.

Jan 8, 2009
Wernersville,Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go for it. There could be some older ones worth a few bucks and also craft people sometimes look for them to use. I've seen them filled with colored beans and set around the kitchen. As for the stove I used an old pot belly stove and made a lamp with it. Sell them! :icon_thumleft:

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Argentium said:
Yes , you should clean these with warm soapy water and recover and clean any lids - take
them to your local flea and see if you get any takers at 50 cents or a buck each . Argentium.
He shouldnt shortchange himself, I would gladly dispose of those for a 50/50 split, 60/40 on the ball jars, especially if they are colored...after all....ya never know..

Attachments

• Ball jar 1.jpg
    Ball jar 1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 880
  • Ball jar 2.jpg
    Ball jar 2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 910

up north

Jun 3, 2009
The Frozen Tundra
Detector(s) used
Whites's PRIZM V
Heathkit GP-45 Metal Locator
Garrett Ace 150
Pacific Northwest Insturments BH2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the zinc lids have some value. Amber preserve jars are especially desireable.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
there is a book called the redbook for fruit jars.. it is a price guide with over 10,000 fruit jar varities in it...you'll want to buy one of them... you'll want number 10 that is the newiest..DON'T GET RID OF ANY JAR THAT IS ANY OTHER COLOR THEN THE USUAL AQUA BLUE..til you know what you have... colored jars can be 12.00 to 1200.00 sometimes even more....

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Can you post some pics of some on those jars cleaned? the ones best to post are any that are not the normal aqua blue an the square ones... check the top of the rims of your jars..the super old jars will have there lips grounded..so they will be rough newer ones the lips are smooth...

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
not worth much,25 cents apiece if your lucky,stove for scrap metal price

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread