Civil War button or Revalotionary Button?? found today in Ohio (Pictures)

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Well what a great day it was here in Ohio. After work my buddy and I went to an old
church site. It was built in 1891 and closed was torn down in 1991. My first find was a
1890 Indian head penny, then found a 1919 Wheatie.

They had a monument about the church and I hunted around it and found a gold broach
with ivory inside. On the ivory was a house and a woman.

In front of the church I came up with a button that has a sheild and a Eagle on it. Below the
Eagle is the word R E G and over to the side is the letter T. On the back is Phila and ARMTTAGE
I think. Not sure what war it is from or if it is even a war button. But it sure is neat and it's
silver in color,

My buddy found two Inidan head pennies, not sure of the dates and a V-nickel. All in all we had
a pretty good day.

Well HH, Ringfider

P.S. All the finds from today and most of my last posts were found with an ACE 250 and a SunRay
Probe, both of us are using these machines all the time now. It really does go deep. We've found
coins in wet soil over 7 inches deep.

Attachments

• 4 5 6.jpg
    4 5 6.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 445
  • 456 back.jpg
    456 back.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 598
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ring,

Awesome finds...really like that brooch.

HH :)
RR

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Great button! It's a Sheffield silverplate, c. 1812-15 Infantry officer's button. Ben's right about the backmark. It's Armitage? probably "Armitage Phila" Normally, a regiment number was struck on the shield, but some buttons have plain/blank shields.

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you guys are the best! Thanks Ben and PBK, you guys are right on the money. I went
to our local museum today and he said he thought it was a button from the war
of 1812, but wasn't sure. He said he was going to look it up in his button book
tonight. On the face of the button there is nothing on the shield. But below the shield there
is this R E G and to the side is a T. Thanks again for all your information.

Just like they always say, you never know what you will find metal detecting.

I'm going back to this site and read all the names on the markers in the cemetary who were in the Civil War. Maybe one of them had a father who fought in the war of 1812. Research, research,
research. Hopefully I can trace down some of these men and where they lived in the
township and maybe hunt their log cabin sites.

Well HH and thanks again for the information. Ringfinder

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds , the broach is very nice....The silver button has to be one of the best looking dug buttons I have ever seen !!!!!Congrats

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds! Awesome brooch!
Coins come out in nice shape too.
You better get back and hunt that some more.
Good luck!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and congrats on the gold and ivory brooch! HH, Mike

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another great hunt, Ringfinder. I agree with Seeker...that is a nice-looking button. :o Congratulations. :)

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your comments. I went back there today to the Church site and took
pictures of the grave markers. I only took pictures of the Civil War Veterens. I am trying
to trace down the families of these veterens to see if they had any relation who might have
fought in the War of 1812. I called one of the names found in the cemetary and talked to
one of the decendents. He was very interested in my find and wants me to help him with
his genology of his family. I told him he could find most of what I know from the local
historicla society. But he wants me to help. Oh well maybe another lead to another
hunt site.

I hunted some more their but didn't find anything else so far. I hunted a couple of other
places today and found 2 indian head pennies, 3 wheaties and a small ring. What a great day
hunt.
HH guys and gals. Ringfinder

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
RING, Very Interesting Finds, Congrats. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 039.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 039.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 130
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 039.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 039.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 137

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread