Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Nov 2005
    Ohio
    18 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Civil War button or Revalotionary Button?? found today in Ohio (Pictures)

Hi all,
    Well what a great day it was here in Ohio. After work my buddy and I went to an old
    church site. It was built in 1891 and closed was torn down in 1991. My first find was a
    1890 Indian head penny, then found a 1919 Wheatie.

They had a monument about the church and I hunted around it and found a gold broach
    with ivory inside. On the ivory was a house and a woman.

In front of the church I came up with a button that has a sheild and a Eagle on it. Below the
    Eagle is the word R E G and over to the side is the letter T. On the back is Phila and ARMTTAGE
    I think. Not sure what war it is from or if it is even a war button. But it sure is neat and it's
    silver in color,

My buddy found two Inidan head pennies, not sure of the dates and a V-nickel. All in all we had
    a pretty good day.

Well HH, Ringfider

P.S. All the finds from today and most of my last posts were found with an ACE 250 and a SunRay
    Probe, both of us are using these machines all the time now. It really does go deep. We've found
    coins in wet soil over 7 inches deep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 5 6.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	82116  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Minelab GPX 4500, Nautilus IIB, ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Depth Pro, Fisher 1235, Fisher F-75, Minelab Explorer II, X-terra 70

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    1351 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Civil War button or Revalotionary Button?? found today in Ohio (Pictures)

Ring,

Awesome finds...really like that brooch.

HH
    RR

us
    Beep beep 'm beep beep Yeah

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    853 times

ARMITAGE?
    Former Caveman... my brain shrunk.

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    1 times

That broach with the ivory is a fantastic find. Very cool. Indian Head is in great condition too.

HH,

Mirage

Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

Charter Member

May 2005
    81 times

Great button! It's a Sheffield silverplate, c. 1812-15 Infantry officer's button. Ben's right about the backmark. It's Armitage? probably "Armitage Phila" Normally, a regiment number was struck on the shield, but some buttons have plain/blank shields.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2183 times

Very nice stuff!! I need a break in the rain!!!!
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

us
    Oct 2005
    Goose Creek, South Carolina
    Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Awesome finds, HH Art...

us
    Nov 2005
    Ohio
    18 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wow, you guys are the best! Thanks Ben and PBK, you guys are right on the money. I went
    to our local museum today and he said he thought it was a button from the war
    of 1812, but wasn't sure. He said he was going to look it up in his button book
    tonight. On the face of the button there is nothing on the shield. But below the shield there
    is this R E G and to the side is a T. Thanks again for all your information.

Just like they always say, you never know what you will find metal detecting.

I'm going back to this site and read all the names on the markers in the cemetary who were in the Civil War. Maybe one of them had a father who fought in the war of 1812. Research, research,
    research. Hopefully I can trace down some of these men and where they lived in the
    township and maybe hunt their log cabin sites.

Well HH and thanks again for the information. Ringfinder
    Minelab GPX 4500, Nautilus IIB, ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Depth Pro, Fisher 1235, Fisher F-75, Minelab Explorer II, X-terra 70

**Bring History Back to Life**

Nov 2005
    Keep on Digging!
    MINELAB Explorer-II
    12 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Those are some nice finds , the broach is very nice....The silver button has to be one of the best looking dug buttons I have ever seen !!!!!Congrats
    Sometimes you need to look back to a time that made you laugh and smile!...... The memories of all the great times..... will always be there!!

us
    Jan 2006
    ft scott Ks
    ,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wow,what a great piece of Ivory
    Loyalty and Honor

Jan 2006
    2 times

Very nice stuff!!
    ___ / **** \=======#
    /;|* Т-34 ****:\
    (@=@=@=@=@)

finder of lost articles

Nov 2005
    Western New York
    Banner Finds (1)

very nice stuff there really like the brooch and button

Tim

Get out and dig

bk
    us
    Seeker of Fortune

Jan 2005
    SE Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
    6 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Very nice finds! Awesome brooch!
    Coins come out in nice shape too.
    You better get back and hunt that some more.
    Good luck!

us
    Feb 2005
    Bavaria Germany
    Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
    77 times

Nice finds and congrats on the gold and ivory brooch! HH, Mike

us
    Jan 2005
    Great Falls, Montana
    White's DFX & a Sunray probe
    2 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Another great hunt, Ringfinder. I agree with Seeker...that is a nice-looking button. Congratulations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors