Adventure and Irony

MD

Apr 4, 2005
I'm trying to get away from parks and find new places to detect. I have researched pioneer trails that followed rivers here in Colorado between about 1830 and 1880. I'm not sure what it is called, but I found this. I call it a horse horn. I don't know if the pioneers left it behind but it certainly has been there a long time. I also found a huge piece of iron. I couldn't identify it or dig it completely out with the shovel I had. I have no idea what it might be, but definately weighs more than a hundred pounds.

Here's what makes it an adventure. I went under a bridge. There was gang grafitti and signs people had been staying there. They had a table made out of rocks, lots of empty beer bottles and a matress. I spent a lot of time detecting there before I noticed at the top of the bank a rather elaborate homeless shelter with firepits and lots of debris. Somebody left there bible there. There were what amounted to individual cubicles made out of rocks. A piece of rebar was laying in one of them. I gather it was a weapon for self defense if needed. Somebody could have been in the shadows long before I noticed them. I didn't poke around the living quarters once I discovered they were there. Who knows what I would of found if I had. I felt like I was invading somebody's home and I didn't know who might be hiding in the sticks. I wish I had my camera with me. The shelter was much more interesting than my find.

When I got home, I looked at the front page of the paper. Three homeless people were picked up under that bridge by the police and taken to a homeless shelter. Rather ironic! This isn't a big town. I couldn't believe people were living under bridges.

And that's the story. If someone knows what this horse thing is called, let me know.

Attachments

• Horse horn.jpg
    Horse horn.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Its a horse hame and they come in pairs.....
Thats sad that people live under bridges, but it could be dangerous also....be careful.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
No! Its a gear shift to a 48' willy's jeep! Just kidding, have no clue what it is. Watch yourself around those homeless camps, might run into some psycho/drug addict who may decide he likes your machine, wallet, whatever. Things could get messy............for you or for him/them. Stay safe. ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
MD,

very interesting story. Nice artifact also.

Homeless folks seem to be a strange lot.
Think a lot of them have problems that are
very deep.

Came across several areas like you mentioned.
Came across several living just outside residential
areas off in the woods.

I just try to move off when I realize I'm in their area.
They seem to prefer being alone.

When the American Legion had fish Fry's on Friday,
some started stopping by and we gave them any
that was left after the evening.

Asked why they did not use one of the shelters that
would be opened to them and they said they do not
trust the shelters and feel safe in the woods.

Its a shame the way some folks live. Makes one
appreciate what you have.

There but for the Grace of God go I..........

Done rambling, preaching.

all have a good un......

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
wow,, memories. i was one of them 10 years ago,, living on the streets of boston,, major drinking problem.. im in A A now, and life is good . but i still feel i can do more for them than just a couple bucks,, i used to go to the shelters and speak with them .. i think i'll start again, moet are nothing to worry about they just want to be left alone,,,,, im glad i read this thanks sherm,, green 1 mass.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ran across one shelter years ago while running the dog in the woods one day.was DEEP in the woods this dude had a nice little set up..homemade shower of sorts and a 10x 10 hole dug about 4 feet down .some canned goodies a few water jugs and even a fire place rigged up from cinder blocks was neat little "sod" dwelling had tarps wrapped around it weighted down with rocks held up by a center pole.temp stays 50*4 feet down so even on cold nights the ground and fireplace held heat in the bricks, prolly did him pretty good....pretty ingenius..

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Green1 said:
wow,, memories. i was one of them 10 years ago,, living on the streets of boston,, major drinking problem.. im in A A now, and life is good . but i still feel i can do more for them than just a couple bucks,, i used to go to the shelters and speak with them .. i think i'll start again, moet are nothing to worry about they just want to be left alone,,,,, im glad i read this thanks sherm,, green 1 mass.
i was homeless after my first wife and me split in the 90s. i guess i was lucky to have friends and some family to stay with off and on. but i wanted to be alone too. before i got back on my feet and a new wife who i think is to good for me , i lived out of a car for about close to a year. i had the drinking problem to. i don't drink the hard stuff no more. but still like the beer. green, im glad your on top now. i know i need to go to aa too. thanks for shareing :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread