38 years lost -my first silver treasure finds- find their way back to me (pics)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
38 years lost -my first silver treasure finds- find their way back to me (pics)

long ago when I was an 11 year old child --my father owned a lawn mower repair shop * in the summers i helped in repairing the riding mowers and sharpening and balancing the riding mowers blades --we test ran the mowers in a rather large weed filled vacant lot next to the store .

one day while doing a "test run" in the weed patch -- i spotted a open type 3 ring binder with a large batch of paper type coin holders next to it ---looking at them it was clear someone had ripped off a coin collection and punched out all the silver american coins and dumped the rest in the feild ( there were several "foreign" silvers and copper coins still left in the binder * however)--they only took the silver american stuff that they could easily sell at a pawn shop .

i gathered up my treasure "find" and took it to my pop -- who said we had to turn it in to the police --so we did and after a peroid of time with no one claiming them --they became "mine"---it was the start of my coin collection**

a year goes by -- I went that summer to visit my mother in ohio * and decided to stay up north at the time ** but my collection was at my fathers home in florida, AND a year or so later my and stepmother moved to another house --in the moving shuffle the coins "dissappeared"--

well my dad died a couple years ago and as my stepmother is cleaning up stuff -- guess what pops up --some "foreign" coins --so knowing I like "foreign coins" --my stepmothers says well --I'll give these to Ivan -- I look at them as she gives them to me --- and behold ---ITS MY OLD COIN COLLECTION --WELL AT LEAST PART OF IT ANYWAYS . ---THE CENT IS FOR REFERANCE SIZE.

seems the 1911 venezuela SIMON BOLIVAR coin likes me -- I might have to make a necklace coin out of it -- 900 fine SILVER CONTENT just like A US SILVER DOLLAR -- just about silver dollar sized too. -- the british stuff is 500 fine silver

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 933
  • scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 926
Upvote 0

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Re: 38 years lost -my first "real"treasure finds - find their way back to me (pics)

Yea its was about 38 - 40 years ago when i started to thumb through my farthers
old coat / coin pocket . No wonder i like Indian heads and V nickles.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 38 years lost -my first "real"treasure finds - find their way back to me (pics)

Cool story......nice coins!

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: 38 years lost -my first silver treasure finds- find their way back to me (pics)

thanks funny how they "refound" me

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 38 years lost -my first silver treasure finds- find their way back to me (pics)

Cool story, it's weird how things like that work out sometimes. I'm glad you got your coins back.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats pretty cool Ivan..glad they found their way back to ya.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awsome story an return Ivan :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread