large wheat pennies and zinc pennies cache in 30-40s era house

L

lookingaround

large wheat pennies and zinc pennies cache in 30-40's era house

hello everone i am new to this furom and although i did not find this late i found a cache of at leat a hundred wheat pennies and about 20-30 zinc pennies of wwII era. oldest goes back to something like 1911, not sure though on date but i found it when my father (passed away 3 years ago) bought a fixer upper house out of the 30's or 40's and in a closet in went in looking around becuase i noticed nooks inside the upper part of the closet door in the inside/inner wall of closet. inside of closet was not framed or covered with sheet work or any material.
i will try to get the pennies spread out for a pic to upload. also any pointers on what to look for as key dates on these pennies? i found this before i picked up an interest in metal detecting. i have another cool story of a silver bell i discovered belive it or not on a vacant lot my father purchase, where he eventually put a house on. lady he bought property from said it once had a house on it. i found the trash pit and i estimate the homesite to have been present atleast during the 30-40's since i found 2 original brass or copper chevy automobile front ensigna's that were from that time period. also found out the large pasture next door used to host basball games during the 40's and guess what i went detecing there and remmember finding some indean head pennies a couple of buffalo nicked and i barber dime. all of this was done within my first year of metal detecting and i was an amatur at it and i thing i did not have the setting correct nd after that first years i just kind quit but after discovering this site i have been rebittin and will probably start th'ing again here soon and will start out with my mothers property, o and forgot to mention that behind my mother property is a property that was probably from the 40-50's but used to be some kind of corral for pigs or sheeps of some sort with some wooded fences but you can tell it has been abondoned for quite some time since tree have grown so big as to sart detroying the wire and wood fenced but from my mothers property cannot be seen, closer to my mother property is some sort of mini shed that is falling over but it look to contain little amount of hay but it cannot be walking into looks more like a big huge doghouse, anyone know what this could be? thanks will post picture id anyone car's to see. mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lookingaround

Re: large wheat pennies and zinc pennies cache in 30-40's era house

does anyone live in the waller county, texas area? mike

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Welcome to the forum, Looking. You've come to the right place to reacquaint yourself with metal detecting. Lots of good advice and good friends on Tnet. :)

Congratulations on the cache and good luck with your metal detector. What kind do you have? :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

1909SVDB would be the big one. here are some other key and semi key dates;
1914D
1922 PLAIN
1931S
1955 DOUBLE DIE
1972 DOUBLE DIE

and some semi key dates;
1909S
1911S
1914S

i hope you find some of these! good luck! ;)

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Welcome to the Forum! I think Jeff ran a promotion this week for newbies!! We look forward to all of your posts and finds!!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI

Welcome, Mike. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I'm looking forward to hearing about your future finds.
Happy hunting,
Bob

S

southbound

Welcome and have lots of fun. Vern

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread