🥇 BANNER Trip to S.C. = 1853 Longacre "Type I" Liberty Head Gold Dollar!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trip to S.C. = 1853 Longacre "Type I" Liberty Head Gold Dollar!

What's up guys :wink: Just got back from a visit to see my mother, and brothers and sister down in South Carolina. While there, I did some research and found an old Confederate camp that was used to hold Yankee prisoners for about six months. The place is near my parents property and is overgrown with brush and woods now. On Friday I went out there to look around very late in the afternoon. After locating what looked like the breastworks and rifle-pits that would've surrounded it I dropped my
coil and within 5 minutes found a decent Eagle Button and that was all the evidence that I needed, the smoking gun so to speak, and secured my appointment to go back the next afternoon. Here's the video below about 2 hours into the dig and starts with me digging out the hole:

Second video after I took a few minutes to collect myself:

Needless to say I was stunned when that popped out. It was the LAST thing in the World that I would've expected to see come out. This camp was erected late in the war and most Confederate soldiers would not have had access to U.S. Gold coins like this. I believe that this was a Gold coin that was somehow hidden by a Northern soldier to keep until he was released or to use to bargain for goods. A U.S. Gold Dollar could by ALOT in the late war Confederacy and that soldier knew it. He could've used it to barter for foodstuffs (potatoes, bread, etc) really just about anything. He either buried it or lost it but I'm pretty sure it was probably lost because you just didn't bury something like gold and not recover it, unless of course that soldier died or was moved so abruptly that there WAS no time to recover it.
My brother was with me behind the camera and was amazed and he got alittle mad because he didn't find much (he wasn't over the learning curve quite yet with the Ace 250 w/ 10x14 Excelerator Coil). This Dollar was the most minted of the years but is in great condition. According to PCGS the high points are the hair near the coronet and the points of the leaves on the reverse and there's very little to no wear. Comparing it to the PCGS photos of this coin, it grades in the higher AU range. If it had been a "D" or "C" worth more but just to dig a Civil War era Gold coin is a very rare and exhilarating find indeed and something I won't ever forget! Thanks for looking :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Photos (Uncleaned)

1853 Dollar (7).JPG

1853 Dollar (1).JPG

1853 Dollar (11).JPG

Photos (Rinsed with alittle water)

1853 Dollar (9)ed.jpg

1853 Dollar (2)ed.jpg

1853 Dollar (3).JPG

Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Trip to S.C. = 1853 Longacre "Type I" Liberty Head Gold Dollar!

Three words come to mind here. Location, dedication, perseverance.

You had them all going for you that day!

Congratulations! What a find!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:D you must be running out of that wish list, time to right a new one :headbang:

Been unable to hit a gold coin this year, I still hold out hope but even over here they are a red letter day :icon_thumright: :hello2:

Swingit

Apr 29, 2007
Southwestern, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac Sun Ray X-1, Tesoro Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon

Awesome Coin!!! :headbang: :notworthy:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad for you ,and on tape to so that the thrill of the hunt can be expierienced over and over again! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
What in the heck are you going to dig next Josh-the Crown of the Queen of Egypt??? Great find. I'm sure you will find a little spot in your collection for that baby. WTG AGAIN and HH, Quindy.
:D :D :D :D LOL. I expected to find a South Carolina or Georgia button, maybe a U.S. plate, but never did it cross my mind to find a gold coin there Quin. As God as my

witness I was almost speechless :o

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

AWESOME MAN! lol your reaction was like mine when i dug the GW button :laughing9: that's incredible and very happy for ya!
ya got my BANNER vote!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OMG that is one kick butt killer find.. I love it.. and I have to give ya big huge credit for going that deep into the woods there, my god, they had me scared to death to hit high grassy areas let alone in the woods, so ya know I gotta ask, did ya come across any snakes? Did I also tell ya, man oh man are you brave..

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding find! :thumbsup: 1.67 grams and 13mm = tough to find.

Would look great on the Banner! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan said:
Sentinel, that is a STUNNING find and a terrific historical find. The emotion in that video was awesome. Congratulations, this one will be on the banner in no time!

Thanks Terpfan!

Deepdiger60 said:
That is a great coin :icon_thumleft: beautiful in good shape , one that is always on anyone,s list show the Eagle button also . Real good hunt Banner find !! :thumbsup: Dd60
:wink:

Nana40 said:
:-X I've been about to die to tell everyone what you found! :-X ;D (Someone called and let me in on your fantastic hunt this weekend.) ;D :wink:

:notworthy: Absolutely stunning find, Senti! Banner day! And always GREAT to see the videos! :notworthy:

Nana

there................now, I feel better. ;D

I know, I got back from South Carolina and like four people already knew about it.. ;D ;D ;D...News travels fast here on TNet :wink: Thanks Nana! :wink:

romeo-1 said:
Hello Banner Gold!! :icon_thumright:

Thanks Romeo :headbang:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
VOL1266-X said:
What in the heck are you going to dig next Josh-the Crown of the Queen of Egypt??? Great find. I'm sure you will find a little spot in your collection for that baby. WTG AGAIN and HH, Quindy.
:D :D :D :D LOL. I expected to find a South Carolina or Georgia button, maybe a U.S. plate, but never did it cross my mind to find a gold coin there Quin. As God as my

witness I was almost speechless :o

I forgot to mention that I formally nominated it for BANNER. Congrats again Josh. Do I really need to say happy hunting? I don't think so. Great find, Quindy.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jorge del norte said:

Nope, that's Millen Stockade in Georgia, I was hunting a much smaller one in South Carolina. Millen was a very large stockade and was not used for very long at all before Sherman came through. Although the history is that the one near where I was hunting was temporarily holding prisoners until Millen could be completed:wink:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

baylorhall said:
I just read this article and thought of your post. Are they in the same area?? Right near border of SC and Georgia.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/14/georgia.civil.war.camp/index.html?iref=NS1

No, that is in Georgia about 5 hours from where I was. That's nuts that they just discovered the location though. It was a very large and formal Stockade. The one I was hunting near, as I mentioned above, was a small temporary one :wink:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Beautiful coin!

But did you bump your head, going into the forest around these parts in August? :D

That's crazy man! :D

Kudos to you for getting out alive

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
Beautiful coin!

But did you bump your head, going into the forest around these parts in August? :D

That's crazy man! :D

Kudos to you for getting out alive

Nope, I had my brother's thigh high Snake Boots on. You forgot, I'm from Georgia my friend, those woods in Carolina were nothin' ;D:icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bootybay said:
OMG that is one kick butt killer find.. I love it.. and I have to give ya big huge credit for going that deep into the woods there, my god, they had me scared to death to hit high grassy areas let alone in the woods, so ya know I gotta ask, did ya come across any snakes? Did I also tell ya, man oh man are you brave..

I grew up in the woods and swamps of SouthEast Georgia. I wasn't afraid at all quite honestly, but was very aware of my surroundings and safe as always. I expected to come across a couple but not a one was seen the whole time :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a great find. That thing came out of the ground screaming. Fantastic coin and research. Hope your finds can continue and thanks for sharing.
TnMtns

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II

BEAUTIFUL gold coin, and so awesome that you got it captured on film! I nice reward for your research. Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread