1rst Walking Liberty Half found in old trash pit could use some cleaning advice!

GulfCoastRelix

Mar 2, 2010
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 / Garrett Ace Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a break from metal detecting yesterday to gather up some bottles at an excavated trash pit. Most of the best bottles were still hidden in the huge piles of dirt so I brought along my rake. After about 20 minutes of raking and pulling a few decent bottles a very black and crusty coin just popped out and I almost missed it. I couldn't read anything but could barely make out an eagle so I was excited. After I got home I soaked it and using a toothbrush got as much as I could off but now could recognize it as a 1942 Walking Liberty! I have wanted to find one of these forever how unusual in the way I found it didn't even have my detector with me. What luck. Anyhow here lays the problem. As with most trash pits this one was set fire and I believe it came in contact with another metal that might have bonded with it. I tried electrolysis to try and get what I could off. Although its better the stains are still there. What next? I don't want to ruin this coin and I'm not to saavy on what chemicals would work to remove it without damaging it. Anyhow here are some pics and more of some of the things I recovered. Everything is from the 40's including 14 cokes (1941-1946), 2 Dr. Pepper, 7-Up, Nehi's, and some nice milk bottles.

Mike

Attachments

• WalkingLibertyFront.jpg
    WalkingLibertyFront.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1,129
  • WalkingLibertyBack.jpg
    WalkingLibertyBack.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,118
  • BottlesAll.jpg
    BottlesAll.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,116
  • ParTPak Cola.jpg
    ParTPak Cola.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,124
  • RedStar_7Up.jpg
    RedStar_7Up.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • Dr.Pepper.jpg
    Dr.Pepper.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • ToyGun.jpg
    ToyGun.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,099
  • SunRubberSedan.jpg
    SunRubberSedan.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,113
  • BaldwinDairy.jpg
    BaldwinDairy.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,108
Upvote 0

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
nice digs! are there any markings on the right side of that toy gun? i've got one i'm tryin to id (real, or toy) kida looks like the same dimensions

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1rst Walking Liberty Half found in old trash pit could use some cleaning adv

Not an expert on cleaning, but, I'd say just leave it be. Might wind up marring it up a bit more. Maybe someone will chime in with some better advice however.

I'd be thrilled if I were you. Heck, who needs a metal detector?!?! :laughing7:

Those bottles are awesome :headbang: Way to go on an unusual and rewarding hunt :hello2:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Milk Bottle. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GulfCoastRelix

GulfCoastRelix

Mar 2, 2010
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skateandcreate said:
nice digs! are there any markings on the right side of that toy gun? i've got one i'm tryin to id (real, or toy) kida looks like the same dimensions

Had to get my magnifying glass but its a Edison Giocattoli made in Italy. I cannot find the model number but its needs some more cleaning. I think this one is from the 60's.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
First, congratulations on the half! Them's pretty rare finds, anywhere.

No the bad news. Coin surfaces appear to have pitting. Looks like someone put acid (battery, maybe?) nearby, and the coin appears to my eye to be corroded, making it not really worth more than just the silver value. OTOH, silver is $18+ and ounce right now, and a Walker should have 0.3618 oz. of silver (maybe less for your coin because of the acid), so still worth about $18 x 0.36 = $6.48, give or take a few. Try going to Kitco.com for up to the minute silver prices. No matter how you clean this, it's still going to have those pits on it. So, if you want it to look better, try making a paste of baking soda and rub on the coin. At least some of the crud may come off, along with a minor amount of silver tarnish. Or, you can choose to keep it in the condition you found it in, as a reminder of what and where it was located.

Just my opinion, and I'd prefer to be proven wrong.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I agree with njnydigger and tuberale.

Sometimes a coin just isn't ever going to look any better, and you've got to accept that. In my opinion, your coin really doesn't look too bad. Readable date, visible details, just a little bit of black and some pitting. If you just GOTTA try more cleaning, try rubbing with a baking soda paste or toothpaste. Don't think it will do much since you've already tried electrolysis. And you run the risk of making the coin look unnaturally shiny on the clean spots, but it might help a little bit.

If it's any consolation, my only WLH (a 1941) was burned severely in a fire. Won't fit in a coin holder because it isn't flat, and has very little detail left except the date.

MP

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1rst Walking Liberty Half found in old trash pit could use some cleaning adv

Since you are not dealing with a numismatically important coin here , you might try the method
that Iron patch recommends , a lemon juice soak - you could also try Tarnex - I found it at
Walgreens . Argentium.

OP
OP
GulfCoastRelix

GulfCoastRelix

Mar 2, 2010
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium said:
Since you are not dealing with a numismatically important coin here , you might try the method
that Iron patch recommends , a lemon juice soak - you could also try Tarnex - I found it at
Walgreens . Argentium.

Thanks I think I will try that. :)
Mike

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pretty lady was dumped in a trash pit. Put her in a 2x2 flip and keep her as is. Just my 50 cents worth. 8)

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet bottles!!!! nice silver!!! MR TUFF

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you used electrolysis already then that is probably the best you'll get. :icon_scratch: You could try to Zap it again but that may start to cause damage. :dontknow: I'd leave it alone now.... :icon_thumleft:

Great finds !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds :icon_thumleft: try soaking that half in lemon juice it should get most of the crud off it still has a lot of good detail left on it ,that milk bottle is awesome that is when milk was the real deal unlike today its all junk Good hunt :thumbsup: Dd60

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Very cool finds. The good news about the Walker is that it's the perfect coin to experiment on with cleaning methods. One of the most common dates so you won't lose any value if you make it worse. The mid 40s dates are regularly bought & sold for the bullion value no matter what the condition. It would be a crying shame to find a rare date that looked like it had been through a fire.

drplaztics

Mar 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Tesoro Cutlass II uMax
I'm in your boat as I found my very first WLH this past Saturday (a 1945). Unfortunately it has been hit by a lawnmower in three different areas on it's edges. Still very exciting to find.

I've seen on youtube.com how to clean silver with aluminium foil, baking soda, and almost boiling water. You could try this since the coin is a keepsake and not collectible.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love them old soda bottles. Looks like a good place to continue to hunt. As far as the coin? Looks like it is stained. May not be able to do a lot with it. Maybe the old lemon juice might clean it up a bit. Good luck with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions