GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I had planned to visit a spot today where an two old saw mills were, along with a boarding house. Visions of old copper, silver gold. Relics....

I found this location from old maps and using google earth, and found some old paths that went to it.

As I drove to the house next to the path to ask permission, I looked down it and saw a gate. "Call ____ for access"

Perfect!

I called... and explained to the gentlemen that my hobbies were prospecting and metal detecting, and that I would like to go check out the geology of the old quarry and detect for some old coins around the saw mills and boarding house which no longer exist.

He stutters, forwards me to another lady.... in human resources... I expain again...

She forwards me onto someone else, and then I get it again, and again... explaining what I wanted to do every time to each individual. Finally the fifth lady said, "Sorry, you need a permit to be on our land"...

"Thank you, that's why I called!" - ( :BangHead: ) :(

So back to yesterday's safe cove I went, and dug up a few little items, along with plenty of old nails.

One is a fishing weight, that is for sure...

But I found two little balls which I think are musket balls, both we're in the same hole, about 8 inches deep. They're not fishing weights as far as I know, they dont have any hole going through them.

I also found this other bent lead? item. Looks like a clasp or a hook...

Mcove5.jpg

Upvote 0

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, love that old lead (musketballs) your getting warmer :headbang:

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
Oh man that really sucks....
But i think you find other things on other places! :thumbsup:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ask what does it take to get a permit, you may have the whole site to your self,you made the first step now go get whats yours before the next guy pulls a permit, good luck and good hunting.......

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Patriot...

I'm getting there...

I found a dime as well... was hoping for something interesting. It was totaled from the water, and what not...

I saw the sailboat on the back and the smile turned into a tight lipped gaze... haha :help:

mcove6-1.jpg

*** Dale, when I realized who owns it... lets just say, they're not the friendliest company around. It's worth a shot though. All they can say is no to me again.

I do have my prospecting license, and I could just haul that out and say, " too bad, so sad... here sampling for govt." , but that would be abusing it.... and again, not a company I'd like to mess with. :evil7: :evil7:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya , some catches ya just got to cut the line......... :dontknow:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has been my experience to NEVER say the word "prospecting". I don't prospect anyway but when you say that word, people have visions of gold & silver that they will never hear about or share in. Some feel that way about CW relics but far less than prospecting. Some people just don't want anything found unless THEY find it. I can't tell you how many folks have told me "I'm going to buy a metal detector someday and hunt the land myself". My favorite is "I'm saving it for my granchildren to hunt". I would really like to tell them "Maybe the Easter Bunny can take them" but I have gone back and secured permission to hunt on the same site on a FEW RARE occasions.
Good luck on future occasions and HH.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good point Vol.

I'll be replacing prospecting with "hiking" in the near future. lol

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice lead!!!! MR TUFF

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Are old mills good places to detect?

I own a few acres in rural Southern Virginia that has an old mill foundation on it (and an old house foundation).
Oral history goes the mill got converted into a store sometime in the early 20th, then burned down after World War 2. I *guarantee* this place is virgin as can be, as far as treasure hunting goes. I bought the property on a lark a few years back just because it was dirt cheap and seemed like a good deal at the time (I was younger and dumber). Turns out it's unbuildable due to setback regulations and some boundry lines that got weird when the railroad came through and took a few acres off the original tract- kinda wrote it off as a loss but just keep paying the taxes on it since it's cheap. I really haven't even bothered to see the whole property, since the one time I went out there, the ticks were beyond intense.

If anyone is in the Martinsville area, let me know.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi PokerPlayer,

Glad to see you're getting away from the computer and the online poker world for a bit of detecting! :)

Any place with a history of people coming and going sounds like worthwhile to me. You should head on down there when the ticks easy up and give it a shot. :hello2:

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GioTheGreek said:
Hi PokerPlayer,

Glad to see you're getting away from the computer and the online poker world for a bit of detecting! :)

Any place with a history of people coming and going sounds like worthwhile to me. You should head on down there when the ticks easy up and give it a shot. :hello2:

Or........... He could take along a couple of BIG dogs and make them walk in front of him. :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha the poor puppies.

celtex

Oct 25, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GioTheGreek said:
Thanks Patriot...

I'm getting there...

I found a dime as well... was hoping for something interesting. It was totaled from the water, and what not...

I saw the sailboat on the back and the smile turned into a tight lipped gaze... haha :help:

mcove6-1.jpg

*** Dale, when I realized who owns it... lets just say, they're not the friendliest company around. It's worth a shot though. All they can say is no to me again.

I do have my prospecting license, and I could just haul that out and say, " too bad, so sad... here sampling for govt." , but that would be abusing it.... and again, not a company I'd like to mess with. :evil7: :evil7:

What is it?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AH "The sail boat"! ;D Nice going on the lead. :icon_thumright:
So did they say, or did you ask "How to obtain a permit"?

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It baffles me Pepper... Railway land, surrounded by water, with no rail in sight.

I sent them an email yesterday asking how to obtain a permit, no reply yet. I know where their offices are and I'll give it a shot Monday.

(Cmon rail folks, let me enjoy my hobby!) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread