Machins Mills/Colonial Copper Coin

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Machin's Mills/Colonial Copper Coin

Found today at 1700s Rev. War era house in NY. This is the second colonial copper found there and in an area I was sure I had already covered well. Also found Large Cent there on my last trip. It's soaking in olive oil right now, but I'm not expecting to get a date off it. The earlier one is in better shape and didn't get a date off that one. Will photo it later if anything of note can be seen. Right now I can just see outline of bust facing right and "REX" in Georgius REX. Here's what a nice one looks like on ebay. It's a real rush when one of these pops out of the ground. It may be a bit of a stretch, but this coin was found at a site where Gen. George Washington was known to frequent the area of the Hudson River valley, and where his troops camped, so it's at least possible the person who held this coin before me met him.
(click and scroll down to photo)
http://cgi.ebay.com/1775-MACHINS-MI...Z8404723683QQcategoryZ528QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Machin's Mills/Colonial Copper Coin

Nice finds Bergie! HH, Mike

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great finds and Thanks for sharing....I hope to get out soon....Rained out in ca......LOL

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rush!!! How about a stroke. What a joy that must of been. HH Burdie

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Isn't it great to think about the who, where, when and how. I think that's what makes it so much fun to find. Congrats on your great find Bergie!

Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread