* *Updated-Probable source of the Farthing*Striking 1749 King George II Farthing

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
It's going to rain on Sunday so the twins and I decided to do a permission mission and detectathon all at once today. The first place we tried was a bust. The landowner was not home for the second week in a row. The second place we had better luck and was close to the site where 2 weeks ago Kyle and I found a few coppers. We began at the new site by spreading out and blitzing the field. Nothing but sporadic signals and a severely corroded Memorial penny and victorian era copper or brass spoon. In other words skunksville. We decided to mosy over to the previous site where 2 weeks ago I found the Draped Bust and Braided hair largies. I wasn't swinging 5 minutes and found a decent if broken large Tombac button. Good sign. 20 minutes later I found what would turn out to be one of my best coppers ever. A beautiful 1749 KG II Farthing. It was 4 inches or so deep and worth every drop of perspiration that I excreted today. What a stunner and as Kyle said numerous times today...It beat the odds. Meaning it is no worst for the wear for the 250 plus years it waited patiently for this Homo Sapien to free it frrom the dirt. Fertilizer usually plays havoc on our Pa. farmfields coins. Our clubs first confirmed Farthing and I couldn't be more pleased about that. Hope every one enjoys this post.
Chris
***I was reading about British coinage sent to the colonies and gleaned this little nugget. Most likely where and when my Farthing came to America.***
In 1749, the largest shipment of British coppers to be sent to the colonies arrived in Boston on the ship Mermaid. The British parliament sent Massachusetts Bay almost two long tons of Spanish silver coins (650,000 ounces in 217 chests) as well as ten long tons of English coppers (in one hundred casks), in order to reimburse the Colony for the assistance it provided to the Louisburg Expedition on Cape Breton Island, Novia [sic] Scotia, during the French and Indian War. The coppers included over 800,000 halfpence and more than 420,000 farthings, all dated 1749; approximately thirty percent of the entire mintage for the year.”7

Attachments

• 1749 King George II Farthing 004.JPG
    1749 King George II Farthing 004.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 1749 King George II Farthing 006.JPG
    1749 King George II Farthing 006.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • 1749 King George II Farthing 024.JPG
    1749 King George II Farthing 024.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,123
Upvote 0

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030
Re: Striking 1749 King George II Farthing

Great find!!! Sweet coin!!! :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

GREAT copper find today, Unc! That thing is a beauty! :headbang: I knew we were bound to strike a farthing here in PA!

Put up the diameter and weight of it for the people here.

Let's go do some scouting tomorrow morning. I'll have a pile of sites we can scout!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sweet looking copper you got there Zeus. :icon_thumright: The odds the fertilizer get the coins are stacked, so this is a cool save.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one SWEET copper! And this is the type of post I've been waiting for ALL summer long! This is the type of Coinage you guys need to be digging, not those late date largies.

I think I'll make your photo of this coin my wallpaper. I want to keep looking at it for a while. ;D

-Buck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If the targets were that limited you did great getting that! Not many farthings posted, and very few that are good and clear.

I guess I should warm up my pic to post huh.

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

BuckleBoy said:
That is one SWEET copper! And this is the type of post I've been waiting for ALL summer long! This is the type of Coinage you guys need to be digging, not those late date largies.

I think I'll make your photo of this coin my wallpaper. I want to keep looking at it for a while. ;D

-Buck
Thanks Buck. It was a long time coming. I thought it was a half cent by the size of it until I cleaned the dirt off of it and almost fainted. :)This is alot more satisfying than those late largies. I'll take them though to increase my copper total. Hope to see you posting soon.
Chris

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's a great looking coin Chris, it was well worth your efforts! :notworthy:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buck
Thanks Buck. It was a long time coming. I thought it was a half cent by the size of it until I cleaned the dirt off of it and almost fainted. :)This is alot more satisfying than those late largies. I'll take them though to increase my copper total. Hope to see you posting soon.
Chris

Hey nothing wrong with those late date Largies either but it sure is nice to see a nice KG II Farthing like this one! This is classic KKC :wink:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So that is what one of those look like :laughing9: with excellent detail good find :thumbsup: Dd60

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

:icon_thumleft: nice looking coin

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats Chris, you deserve it buddy. :thumbsup:
I hope to get out soon.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the KGII! Coppers do not hold up very well here either. HH, Mike

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome copper, Zeus! This just goes to show that PA is killer for Colonial. :hello2:

Kirk

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

good job! that's a nice looker! :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest: