100+ year old cabin...picture heavy...rivet experts PLEASE HELP!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
OK, long time, no post.
Went camping a couple of weeks ago. My buddy is a farmer in MO, and pointed an OLD cabin out to me along side the road. He said I could metal detect it if I am ever home for more than a day. I finally got that oportuntiy this week as I FINALLY took leave. Unfortunately, someone used it for a trash dump and left a LOT of metal. Well, here's the cabin...
cabin.jpg
cabin corner.jpg
here you can see it was hand cut...
cabin hand cut.jpg
an old Army truck right up the rock road...
Army truck.jpg
old well (sorry about the pics, camera is shot so all pics will be either cell phone or scanner)...
well side.jpg
well inside.jpg
the finds...(with a ceramic doll arm in the hole with the "TEST" button)
all cabin finds.jpg
here's the rivet that I am curious about (about 5/8 to 3/4 inch long)...
rivet side.jpg
notice the star...that's the end of the rivet...
cabin finds.jpg
Also found this cool lead shipping tie
Normal Il.jpg
says "AUGUSTINE & CO NORMAL IL" on one side
Pear.jpg
and "SUD**TH PEAR" with a pear on the other...any info is appreciated...

Hope you can ID the rivet, and hope you enjoyed the pics!!! Happy Hunting!

~Tom

Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW dude! I'd be checking that well! Looks like a spot that might have some really nice stuff hiding around it. That foundation looks to be the remains of a mid 1800s log cabin. Hit that whole area with impunity my friend.

P.S. That rivet with the star is one that can be found in many Civil War camps. They're pretty cool as most are just plain but every once in awhile you'll get the ones with the stars on them. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Sentinal,
It will take some serious work to clear the area of all of the metal dumped there over the years, but I am happy to do so. I think you are spot on with the dating of the cabin. This area was setteled in the late 1840's. I also found some buttons. Seems, as soon as I get away from all of the engine parts and steel cans I find a LOT of good buttons, rivets, etc...I will continue to post as I clear the area out. THANKS!

~Tom

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds!! i would detect a small spot till its clean.. then go around and pic up all the eye candy and pile it up in that spot. then just keep on working the site till its clean.. good luck ;D MR TUFF

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
cookiemonster351 said:
Wow I really like the 2 1/2 ton truck!!!! Banner!!!!
keep on diggin'
cookiemonster351
aka Don
:hello2:
:hello2:

Took a couple hours to dig that thing too...lol Funny thing is, I am still liscenced to drive it!

~Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread