Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first item you dug was a snap fastener from the early to mid 1900s. If I recall correctly, they were on some military issue items. The SC button is a great find, and I think the solid silver spoon bowl is an excellent find too. :thumbsup:

I think it is a dangerous assumption to make that your thimble was used by a Confederate soldier. I have never, Ever found a thimble in a Civil War camp. It is a safe assumption to make that the thimble was used by a woman anytime from the 1700s up through the early 1900s (when thimbles started to be produced in aluminum as well as brass). Without a close-up of the thimble, one couldn't really say much more about it than that.

And if I might give you a tip or two... rather than chopping away at the ground in many short, small scoops of the shovel, try to get deeper than the find and get it out of the hole with as few scoops as possible, using slower, more calculated scoops with the shovel. The scraping of the bottom of the hole with the shovel can also destroy a find, so try to avoid doing that. I'm just trying to save you the heartbreak of damaging something really good. The worst part is that a damaged find sits in a display case for years and years as a grim reminder of bad digging habits. :-\

Second tip: You should take a moment and read my post in the "Cleaning and Preservation" forum about cleaning and preserving buttons. You'll find lots of good information there. If you take a toothbrush and water to that button, very little of the silver gilding will be left. What you need is peroxide to remove the dirt, followed by aluminum jelly to brighten the gilding. :)

The post covers just about every type of button imaginable--from 1700s "dandys," tombacs, and pewters, up to two and three-piece buttons from the mid 1800s:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html

One more little ID thing--those items you've identified as "CW percussion caps" are not percussion caps. They appear to be brass casings from bullets. Percussion caps were Much smaller than that. Google them and take a look online.

Keep up the good work. You're making good finds, and that is most of the battle.

Regards,

Buck

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
The first item you dug was a snap fastener from the early to mid 1900s. If I recall correctly, they were on some military issue items. The SC button is a great find, and I think the solid silver spoon bowl is an excellent find too. :thumbsup:

I think it is a dangerous assumption to make that your thimble was used by a Confederate soldier. I have never, Ever found a thimble in a Civil War camp. It is a safe assumption to make that the thimble was used by a woman anytime from the 1700s up through the early 1900s (when thimbles started to be produced in aluminum as well as brass). Without a close-up of the thimble, one couldn't really say much more about it than that.

And if I might give you a tip or two... rather than chopping away at the ground in many short, small scoops of the shovel, try to get deeper than the find and get it out of the hole with as few scoops as possible, using slower, more calculated scoops with the shovel. The scraping of the bottom of the hole with the shovel can also destroy a find, so try to avoid doing that. I'm just trying to save you the heartbreak of damaging something really good. The worst part is that a damaged find sits in a display case for years and years as a grim reminder of bad digging habits. :-\

Second tip: You should take a moment and read my post in the "Cleaning and Preservation" forum about cleaning and preserving buttons. You'll find lots of good information there. If you take a toothbrush and water to that button, very little of the silver gilding will be left. What you need is peroxide to remove the dirt, followed by aluminum jelly to brighten the gilding. :)

The post covers just about every type of button imaginable--from 1700s "dandys," tombacs, and pewters, up to two and three-piece buttons from the mid 1800s:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html

One more little ID thing--those items you've identified as "CW percussion caps" are not percussion caps. They appear to be brass casings from bullets. Percussion caps were Much smaller than that. Google them and take a look online.

Keep up the good work. You're making good finds, and that is most of the battle.

Regards,

Buck

I totally agree, & even after my PM, I'm sad to see this still happening. If you wish to continue ignoring the combined advice of many years of experience because up until now you have been lucky, then there is no helping you & I know it won't be long before you distroy your lifetime find. :'(

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds again :icon_thumleft: and your lucky you did not cut that SC button in half :-\ Michael !!! listen to those 2 experts Buck and Cru slow down on your digging ,you seem to be in a area where there could be relics and coins that could be worth a lot of money but just hit it once with the shovel and its worthless , i could of used you over in Vietnam to dig a fox hole in the jungle,s :laughing7: But good finds :thumbsup: Dd60

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really enjoy your video's man, I can tell that you're very passionate about what your doing :headbang:

I hate to bang on about this . . . but at least please consider the advice that Cru & Buck are offering. Just take a look at what these guys have dug over the years and the combined experience they have. :icon_thumright:

Please, just reread this one more time:

"Rather than chopping away at the ground in many short, small scoops of the shovel, try to get deeper than the find and get it out of the hole with as few scoops as possible, using slower, more calculated scoops with the shovel. The scraping of the bottom of the hole with the shovel can also destroy a find, so try to avoid doing that. I'm just trying to save you the heartbreak of damaging something really good. The worst part is that a damaged find sits in a display case for years and years as a grim reminder of bad digging habits." - BuckleBoy

"I'm sad to see this still happening. If you wish to continue ignoring the combined advice of many years of experience because up until now you have been lucky, then there is no helping you & I know it won't be long before you distroy your lifetime find." - Crusader

You're obviously working in an area that has seen a lot activity before and after the Civil War, this area clearly still has some very important items that have yet to be found. If you're at least willing to adjust your style of recovery, now would be the best time to apply the advice that these guys are offering. :hello2:

I wish you the best of luck man. :hello:
Dave

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds! Great vid production, too! :headbang:

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice video, awesome finds & " Excellent Site to Hunt " ! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antiquarian said:
I really enjoy your video's man, I can tell that you're very passionate about what your doing :headbang:

I hate to bang on about this . . . but at least please consider the advice that Cru & Buck are offering. Just take a look at what these guys have dug over the years and the combined experience they have. :icon_thumright:

Please, just reread this one more time:

"Rather than chopping away at the ground in many short, small scoops of the shovel, try to get deeper than the find and get it out of the hole with as few scoops as possible, using slower, more calculated scoops with the shovel. The scraping of the bottom of the hole with the shovel can also destroy a find, so try to avoid doing that. I'm just trying to save you the heartbreak of damaging something really good. The worst part is that a damaged find sits in a display case for years and years as a grim reminder of bad digging habits." - BuckleBoy

"I'm sad to see this still happening. If you wish to continue ignoring the combined advice of many years of experience because up until now you have been lucky, then there is no helping you & I know it won't be long before you distroy your lifetime find." - Crusader

You're obviously working in an area that has seen a lot activity before and after the Civil War, this area clearly still has some very important items that have yet to be found. If you're at least willing to adjust your style of recovery, now would be the best time to apply the advice that these guys are offering. :hello2:

I wish you the best of luck man. :hello:
Dave

Thanks.

I really don't want to come across as the 'told you so' police, & the first thing I should be thinking along with many others is 'nice find'. However, it isn't to late to take on board what others have learnt the hard way.

As I once said before, dig like every target is an Uncirculated Gold Coin, because the second you lose focus is the time it will bite you. It is devastating & nothing can take back those few seconds that could have saved your dream find (now a reoccurring nightmare).

I promise this will be my last words on this, as I don't aim to deflect from your great finds & video aventures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread