32.4 KB · Views: 680
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty crazy bud. To think that thing has been floating around near the bottom of the sea for around 80+ years probably! That's mind boggling. You can tell by the wear on the outside of the bulb that its been down there quite sometime......Its a testament to how well they were made! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
BttleDiggerDrew

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
{Sentinel} said:
That's pretty crazy bud. To think that thing has been floating around near the bottom of the sea for around 80+ years probably! That's mind boggling. You can tell by the wear on the outside of the bulb that its been down there quite sometime......Its a testament to how well they were made! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

It was found amongst leaf litter, makes it more amazing

OP
OP
BttleDiggerDrew

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
CATFISHJK1 said:
How sure are you that it's a Gem bulb? Can't tell because it's so dirty, but it looks more like a radio tube to me.

Nobody can ever not have speculation, but if you do a little digging on the information you will find the answer...

OP
OP
BttleDiggerDrew

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Never mind that, for the simple reason why it is extremely rare is because " The GEM bulb used a filament that was 25-30% more efficient than the carbon filaments used in earlier bulbs (they gave more light and used less power) but were later left in the dust by the much superior tungsten filament, which appeared in 1907 and is still used today." ( second ...sentence in) and on the end to which proves my point, is that the filaments still exist...see the last sentence.."It is interesting to note that GEM filaments are extremely springy, much more than normal carbon filaments, and appear to be quite resistant to rough handling. "...case and point they still are there...
http://bulbs.2yr.net/187w-gem-bulb.php

Killzworth

Greenie
Aug 7, 2010
Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250-Sniper
Just my opinion, and it may be the picture itself, but 2 things come to mind in trying to ID this.

1 - It looks small, as in smaller than the 187w bulb.

2 - It looks like the small nipple of glass that should be on the very top of the bulb is non-existent.

A very cool find if it is a GEM, and a very cool find if it's not :tongue3:

OP
OP
BttleDiggerDrew

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Killzworth said:
Just my opinion, and it may be the picture itself, but 2 things come to mind in trying to ID this.

1 - It looks small, as in smaller than the 187w bulb.

2 - It looks like the small nipple of glass that should be on the very top of the bulb is non-existent.

A very cool find if it is a GEM, and a very cool find if it's not :tongue3:

1- I have Big Hands :laughing7:

2- there is a slight bump, but keep in mind this has been sitting in the elements of NY/NJ (rain, snow, sleet...105 degrees ....repeat...)and being that this area has not been inhabited for over 80yrs..by using deductive reasoning to what its not...Catfishy, but thank you for your sincerity

lastly there are two what appear to be support rods that would hold the filament are there, it would be almost impossible for the actual filaments proper to survive that long.

I like friendly debates... :violent1: j/k

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those. Dug out of a privy this spring. Cool find! :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a complete one with base somewhere wrapped in cloth. I will see if I can find it. Nice recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread