Rare Coca Cola Porcelain Door Push

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everyone! :)

Pulled this sign out of the ground about 7 inches down. Found a couple of them on Ebay and apparently it is a highly desired collectible. :o I don't collect Coca Cola memorabilia so I'm not too sure what to do with it. The ones on Ebay have been professionally restored. What would it cost to restore something like this? Would it be worth it? I could put it on Ebay "As-Is".

Attachments

• rsz_dsc01404.jpg
    rsz_dsc01404.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,165
Upvote 0

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Honestly I think it is very nice 'as-is'. I personally enjoy it as it looks right now vs. having someone blast it to heck and restore it..

nice find man

Neil

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat piece. I like it as is but if I were to consider restoring it, it would have to be for me. If you aren't interested in keeping it, I would sell it without restoring. Restoration needs to be a labor of love. The costs always seem to get a little crazy once you decide to fix something. if you found that you must be in a good area. Nice job.

Don
HH

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
:icon_thumright: What an AWESOME piece! :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on what I consider a splendid find!
7 inches down eh? Did you find anything else round there? Know the history of the area you found it?
Doing quick search I saw some similar that date 1930's! Thinking this is a realy beauty for that age & being burried so long!

Awesome find!
:D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find !

restoration Would Ruin it In my opinion.

Something like that shouldn't look new
Unless it is New

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
put it on ebay "as is". recently my dad put an old good year tires sign on that was in just about the same shape and some guy paid $185 for it! Not bad for a junk pickup.

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will probably put this up for fun on Ebay and see how it goes. I will let you know how it turns out. :)

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Bogey,

The only thing else in the area I have really found are some old bottles that come from an old mining town. We have been doing some digging in the area. Happy you like it! :)

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
What you can do is to put it on Ebay, with a reserve price...make it the lowest amount that you will take for the piece....that way you can determine the interest in the piece, and if the bids don't make it up to your reserve price, the auction is over, and you don't lose it.

A sweet piece of Coca-Cola history, and a great piece of Americana!

Congratulations on a sweet, rare find! :hello2:

Larry G.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
If you end up keeping the sign, there is a product called, "Ospho". It contains osphoric acid, and when it is painted on rust, it chemically binds with the iron oxide, (rust), and turns it into a hard black material that will no long continue to rust. Thus ending further rusting, but keeping the piece in basically the same visible texture condition. The product is intended for use as a rusty metal pre-primer, to stop rust from eating thru the paint, or stop rust from continuing to eat away at the metal under the paint. I have used it many time in the past and would not paint a rusty metal object without first using this pre-primer. It works GREAT. Hope this helps. Ralph

OP
OP
C

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone!

The sign has been up for auction for a couple of days now. I started the auction at $19.99 +$10.00 shipping. There have been 57 views and there are 13 people watching. 4 days and 17 hours left to go until the auction ends. The sign is at $20.49 with 2 bids. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread