Chinese coin?, silver, IHs, 2 cent, old wheats, artifacts, whats it coin

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Chinese coin?, silver, IH's, 2 cent, old wheats, artifacts, what's it coin

Folks,
I have definitely found a virgin site; I have recovered at least 30 non-clad coins (wheats, silvers, IH's, buffs, 2 center, foreign coins) from a few hunts at the place. All of this has been in a 30'X20' area directly outside the front door! A few weeks back I saw the place, noticed it was abandoned and it looked old. I tracked down the owner and she gave me permission to hunt it and chop any of the three foot high weeds I wanted to get my coil on the ground.
Today, between writing some work projects, I stopped to take a few breaks and detect. The wheats are 1945, (2) 1916, 1911, (2) IH's (one is 1902 the other is 1870, 1872 or 1879), two 1964 clad cents (I only mention this because all of the clad cents I've found at this site have been 1964), a brass belt buckle, a two cent piece, an old ribbon aluminum wrapper, a 1937 buff, a 1940 Jefferson, a Chinese? coin, a 1940 merc and a what's it coin (very small on the 3rd and 4th pixs). On one side of the coin is a distinct maple leaf-like shape on either side at the one edge (bottom?) with a ribbon between them. My wife just observed that there seems to be a wreath that stretches up around the perimeter of the coin from the leaves and the center seems to have a large 1. There is a bead around the edge. My wife also thinks she can make out an 'ICA' on the opposite side but no guarantees there. It is smaller than a dime, very worn and seemingly copper. Any thoughts? Also, is the foreign coin Chinese? How old is it? Also, how can I clean the two center and the IH beside it (found together) so I can get a date? They were found in a place beside the front step that had gathered many leaves and the soil was more like the top layer in a forest...very dark.
Not pictured, I also dug up a marble (blue and white), a bunch of shotgun shells and a bunch of rusty pieces (proving I'm a human that likes to detect, not a robot that detects). Btw, all of these were found with my Explorer. I also had my Ace 250 which has sort of become my pinpointer. I started going over a section first with the Ace but after not netting anything twice and finding a bunch of stuff after with the Explorer I just stayed with the deeper machine. Many of the items had iron above, beside or below the items. All items were found between 6"-9".
I'd appreciate any help on IDing or tips on cleaning the two center.
Thanks in advance.
I'll head back to the place when I can.
Happy hunting!
Peace,
T-man

Attachments

• Lincolns.jpg
    Lincolns.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,337
  • Buckle, 2 center, IH, thread wrap.jpg
    Buckle, 2 center, IH, thread wrap.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Nickels, Chinese coin, what\'s it coin, IH, Merc.jpg
    Nickels, Chinese coin, what\'s it coin, IH, Merc.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,342
  • Flip sides.jpg
    Flip sides.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,366
Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Chinese coin?, silver, IH's, 2 cent, old wheats, artifacts, what's it coin

Awesome finds :icon_thumright: Congratulations :icon_thumleft:
TTH

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Congrats on the new site and nice haul of coins...

Aeroboy

Aug 22, 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 4

The Chinese coin is called a cash. I found one two weeks ago in Indiana at about 6 inches. These look very similar and can be very old. Google Chinese coins cash and you should get several sites to help you identify.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You won't find anything on that coin under "Chinese," because it isn't: it's Japanese.
I haven't learned how to differentiate the 1700 Japanese holed coins from the 1800 coins.
But, definately Japanese. The one figure on the reverse side indicates the city/government
office that minted it, and I think it is TokYo. I have found several here in Korea with the same
mint mark. Some good finds, and sounds like a great site. Keep us posted.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great site. I cant tell what you have for a mystery coin. If you can defenitly see a maple leaf then I would say a canadian penny. :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

allen said:
if its the coin below the cash coin it looks more
like an indian head to me, but you never know.

After a close look at it allen I think you are right. I think its got some nickel in it as its red and thats what Nickel tends to do in the ground. Looks like the 1859 with no shield. :thumbsup:

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe

I was looking at the mystery coin and I thought that design on it was familiar.
Pulling out my small collection of world coins I found these.

Swiss rappen and franc coins

DSC02058.JPG

DSC02059.JPG

DSC02061.JPG

The ribbon and leaves are close on the ten rappen and it is made of a copper nickel alloy.

HH,
Donny

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari

sounds like a great site, let us know when you find out what that coin is!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're cash coin is upside down...and it dates to the late 1700s to the early 1800s I believe.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice recoverys!!!!!!! MR TUFF

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II

I think your mystery coin could be a flying eagle 1856-1858. If memory serves me correctly there are only 20 of the 1856 known to exist. Has the same back as indian head or aleast very similar .

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

Wow and good work on the site find Turtleman! go find some more quick. As far as your whatsit coin I am going to say maybe a Swiss 1 centime coin, like this one;
http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces161.html?PHPSESSID=ro2hp9ka9i0825u7q1t1992lk3
or real similar, can you get an accurate weight and size from it? see if they compare, the only thing that I am not sure about is the ICA part, maybe on later coins it is Helvetica instead of Helvetia, hope this helps and nice work there! HH.

Chuck.

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II

Thanks everyone for your help trying to ID the coins. I think the coin is Swiss but it is so worn it is difficult to be 100% sure.
I'll try to post what I found at the site since then today.
Peace,
Turtleman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread