$2.10 Coin Spill, BIG SILVER x2 and Small Silver*UPDATED W/ PICS!*

Sofaman36

Aug 16, 2009
Gadsden, AL
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Well, finally got around to posting this! :headbang: I doubt that I'll be this close to making banner anytime soon again. Lol

Well, Monday, I got outside just to detect in my yard a little. Me and my dad have found coins as old as a 2 cent and 3 cent from 1865. I went to a spot where my dad had found a 1905 V Nickel a few months back. Well, I crank the old MXT up and start walking around.

Got a REALLY nice solid hit, with a VDI bouncing from 40-80. 5 inches deep. Iron? Eh, what the heck. I dug it. Finally found a target. 1901 Barber dime. :thumbsup: I thought that was amazing. :o Well, I go back, as I start covering the hole, I decided to re-check it since I had forgotten to. STILL a signal in the hole. I dig some more, and several nails come out. Still something with a high VDI number.

At this point, I am becoming a bit frustrated. BUT, I never leave a hole till I have cleaned it out. And this is the one time I will always look back on and thank myself for.

Well, I'm still digging, when I suddenly see the edge of a BIG SILVER in the side of the hole. I start quivering basically. I have found a Peace dollar before, but this surely surpasses that MEAGER find. :thumbsup: I get it out of the ground carefully, and it's an 1884 CC mint mark Morgan dollar. MY FIRST! I rush to show my father.

I then go back to the hole. STILL another target!!! I end up seeing the edge of ANOTHER BIG SILVER in the hole. I get this one out, and it's an 1883 CC mint mark Morgan dollar. :hello2:

NOW, the best part. Once I get inside to show this one off, we pull out the coin book. First up, the 1884. 1.2 million made. SO, it's a rare one! About $100-$130!!! Woo! Now I'm pumped. Now, the 1883. 1.3 million made. SO, ANOTHER rare one! $100-$150!!!!!! WOW! I've only been detecting a little over a year as well. I am very surprised how well I have done in the short time. And I'm 17 years old now.

Attachments

• Scan000202.JPG
    Scan000202.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 660
  • Scan000303.JPG
    Scan000303.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 644
Upvote 0

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: $2.10 Coin Spill, BIG SILVER x2 and Small Silver

Man, I read the story and then no pics??

They sound like nice finds but pictures speak volumes.

:thumbsup:

P.S. I REALLY wish I started hunting at your age. I had a metal detector when I was like 12 but it was broke. I don't even remember where I got it from.. lol

You rock!! :headbang:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Combined with the other material you and your dad have found there, sounds to me like there was an intentional concealing of some pretty valuable coins there. WORK SLOW, and I'd suggest digging everything. Yeah, there will be nails. But just like you found out, sometimes those iron targets can mask other targets.

Congrats on those BIG SILVER though! Terrific finds, and only 17. What will you find next?

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Congrats on the Big Silver spill !! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

mobile miner

Mar 10, 2010

Great job. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Not many of us have that kind of yard of our own. Keep at it son. WTG

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would be pumped too with finds as you describe.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:
You The Man! :notworthy:

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds :icon_thumright: Congratulations :icon_thumleft:
TTH

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

WTG!! Sounds like a good spot!

OP
OP
Sofaman36

Sofaman36

Aug 16, 2009
Gadsden, AL
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Thanks everyone! I had some difficulties with the pics last night, but I got them up now! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sofaman36 said:
Thanks everyone! I had some difficulties with the pics last night, but I got them up now! :thumbsup:

How did the 1901 barber get 20-30 years of wear on it & the morgans have hardly any at all & they were 20 years older :icon_scratch: Guessing the morgans sat in someones stash until the 1920s when these were lost. You were very lucky to get no iron residue on the silver, or were they cleaned?

OP
OP
Sofaman36

Sofaman36

Aug 16, 2009
Gadsden, AL
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
CRUSADER said:
Sofaman36 said:

How did the 1901 barber get 20-30 years of wear on it & the morgans have hardly any at all & they were 20 years older :icon_scratch: Guessing the morgans sat in someones stash until the 1920s when these were lost. You were very lucky to get no iron residue on the silver, or were they cleaned?

I have no clue. The Morgans came out of the ground in amazing shape. All I did was soak them in water the release the excess dirt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sofaman36 said:
CRUSADER said:
Sofaman36 said:

I have no clue. The Morgans came out of the ground in amazing shape. All I did was soak them in water the release the excess dirt.

Its not impossible, just strikes me as strange, but stranger things happening in detecting, its what keeps the mystery alive :headbang:

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Sofaman36 said:
CRUSADER said:
Sofaman36 said:

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

FUNNY OLD WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread