Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Got a few hours out yesterday afternoon visiting the 'Bronze Age' farm again.
After a very quiet start (only a couple of buttons in the 1st hour) a few 'recent' coins showed up - George V 1921 Florin, George VI Sixpence, etc and then this as I walked up the slope:
Bronze Age Dagger blade - Rapier or Dirk - around 1200 BC:
BA-Rapier-Blade-1.jpg
BA-Rapier-Blade-2.jpg
BA-Rapier-Blade-3.jpg
BA-Rapier-Blade-side.jpg
BA-Rapier-Blade-end.jpg

[youtube=425,350]TasD7BBaMMo[/youtube]

Quite possibly a votive deposit rather than it having been lost.

13cm in length, 4cm at widest part tapering to 1cm - wafer thin probably only about 3mm down central rib sloping down to nothing at the sides - weighs around 50g.

It would have had 'rivets' at the butt end attaching it to a bone or horn handle - A thrusting weapon.

A nice few hours in the sun rewarded also with £2.01 modern money towards the cold beer fund! :occasion14:
2pound-and-penny.jpg
George-V-Florin-1921.jpg
Other-coins.jpg
3-buttons-pewter-handle-rin.jpg

There's 2 more fields just been cut - hoping to get back on there next week.

Upvote 1

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that blade is a killer find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find bud! Not too many people can say they've dug a dirk that old :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic. It is a Dirk or maybe have you considered spear point. The rapier was the dueling sword the Dirk the dagger so to speak. Man that is just a great find. Very thin and still looks sharp. I think that is a very rare find.
Congratulations sir !!
TnMtns

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Ditto to ALL the positive remarks, WOW what a great find congratulations amigo! :notworthy: I would have likely broken my neck trying to do a backflip if I ever found something like that! I am voting BANNER! :thumbsup: :hello2: :headbang:
Oroblanco

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Fantastic. It is a Dirk or maybe have you considered spear point. The rapier was the dueling sword the Dirk the dagger so to speak. Man that is just a great find. Very thin and still looks sharp. I think that is a very rare find.
Congratulations sir !!
TnMtns
I thought it was a 'Spear Point' at first, yes (not dug one before.. perhaps I will though here) and we all thought it could be back at the farm, It wasn't until I got back home to my books that I could rule Bronze Age Spear out as these were 'Socketed' for the shaft to fit in to. The 2 'rivet' holes (remains of) gave it away.
Since had confirmation from the museum that it is a Dirk (they'll have it off me next month). Also mentioned that items like this were not usually lost but placed as a votive offering, there are some burial mounds not too far from this field.... Could be digging a body up next.. oh dear!

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Tuff said:
that blade is a killer find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF
"Killer Find" indeed - I wonder how many it has been used to kill by its previous owner.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something Dad & I are yet to find, maybe never will, my Banner votes in :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I will say it again, for a recently joined member to the hobby, your on fire :headbang:

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
...I will say it again, for a recently joined member to the hobby, your on fire :headbang: ...
Thanks Crusader... More than just a hobby, its become an obsession! The Grand Piano in the corner of the room can't be seen anymore, it's now become a table for pots of finds, books, maps, internet print-outs, horns, skulls etc.. Looking more like a science museum every day. Have recently bought a SEF coil for my etrac 15" x 18" - I don't use it all of the time but on the old pasture fields its picked up things that my normal coil hasn't - still waiting for that gold coin though!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: excellent find, as far as weapons the only to be older is stone incredible Banner for sure !! :thumbsup: Dd60

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh! I made the banner.. :hello2: Yippee
Just been given 2 new fields to go in in the next village too - what a lovely day x

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
Gosh! I made the banner.. :hello2: Yippee
Just been given 2 new fields to go in in the next village too - what a lovely day x
Congrats on the Banner well deserved :thumbsup: Dd60

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good eyes Dave, way to keep your eyes on the ground! :o Enjoyed your video as well.
Congratulations on making the Banner too :notworthy:

U

umrgolf

Hi, that's a great looking dagger blade :headbang: I agree, that is A VERY deserving piece :thumbsup: Congratulations :occasion18:

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
You just mind the top of that grand piano David.....Great finds tho.....enjoyed the pictures and video.......congratulations on the banner.. :hello:

U.

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unicorn said:
...You just mind the top of that grand piano David.....
U.
Thanks Unicorn - got a thick cover over it, got to take great care of this one as a few important fingers have played on its keys, Stevie Wonder, Jools Holland, etc - do you play? :sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions