My first real treasure

O

Owise Owera

My new TH friend took me to a spot that he's found several large cents, a few buttons, some cannonballs, and ox shoes. I never knew they made ox shoes unbelievable, but I dug this button up from 9 inches of soil. I was really hunting hard for coins but only found an Ax head, a winter horseshoe, a summer horseshoe, several ingots of lead, and another button but that ones not worth describing. I'll keep it in my new collection of found treasures.

Attachments

• stitch.JPG
    stitch.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 595
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Button Owise......That is a militia riflemans button from around the time of the war of 1812 ......great find! and in nice shape to....... 8) Seeker

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice finds Owise!! And the 1812 button is really great! Keep digging that site...and the silver will start popping out!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
post some pics of your summer/winter ? horseshoes....i have got to see them....gldhntr

OP
OP
O

Owise Owera

The winter and summer shoes. I cleaned a lot of rust off them because I wanted them in my collection.."in my house" and I wanted a closer look at them. I only pitched shoes didn't know what they really looked like. lol

Attachments

• found items 005.jpg
    found items 005.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 501
OP
OP
O

Owise Owera

http://www.relicman.com/butf.htm Shows a "riflemans button" War of 1812 it has 16 stars completely circling a number 1 and the horn. The button I found has 7 stars on top of the horn and 6 under the horn with a ribbon of sorts, all within a circle. The book that I found it in says this button was Revolutionary war and 1766 was the last year it was made. RECORDS OF AMERICAN UNIFORM AND HISTORICAL BUTTONS..Author: Alphaeus H. Albert
I'm glad I did more research into this. This forum is the greatest ;)

Attachments

• war1812.jpg
    war1812.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 371

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Nice button..... rather have a gold coin, but still a fantastic find.
HH
-GC

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Great button, Owise! However, check your copy of Albert's book again. Your button is #RF 27B, Rifles, Militia, pp. 79-80.

It is also listed in Tice's book, Uniform Buttons of the United States: #RM187-A1, p. 176.; and in Wyckoff's United States Military Buttons of the Land Services, pp. 60-61

It dates c. 1815-21, and although buttons of a similar pattern (c. 1808-15) were indeed in use during the War of 1812, this particular variety— corded edge, oval border, stars above & below horn— would have seen little, if any service, in that war, which ended in February 1815.

S

southbound

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the great buttons!
Vern

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread