Oldest coin to date!!! 1800 Maybe US coin, not sure

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)
Hey, i have been detecting but not finding much other than clad a some silver(nothin old). Today i decided to go to a field behind my parents house since it was a beautiful day. I got 2 clad pennies and that Security Badge. It looks like it was hit by the plow. How it would have ended up there is beyond me. So i showed my neighbor the badge and he said he has 4 houses in historic schaefferstown. I was cool, he said i was more than welcome to detect them any time i want and to keep any finds i get!!! Thinkin to myself that this was probally gonna be an all clad day. Well, i only got to the one house, searched the front and was pulling clad and the dam old roof nail things. So i changed some settings on the Explorer II and went to the back. More clad, then i got a really good 00-29, 00-30. Thinkin it was silver i cut the plug, probed the hole, dug alittle more dirt and about 5 inches deep turned up this 1800 coin. Not sure if its us or foriegn. I beleive i made out 1800, but its kinda hard to tell. Not sure if i wanna try to clean more dirt off or not. Thanks for lookin. Greg Horning

Attachments

• all together.jpg
    all together.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,250
  • badge.jpg
    badge.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 1800.jpg
    1800.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,016
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? (British King William III Halfpenny)

Attachments

• 15097_0141_1_lg.jpg
    15097_0141_1_lg.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,069
OP
OP
firefighter35

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)
not sure, the back looks bad, corroded, and the whole coin is kinda thin. ???

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure your probably right IP, you most always are. But that bust looks a little bit different to me. ???

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Could it be a KG III? :dontknow:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think IP has it! :thumbsup: Only other one's close would be Virginia Half or 1781 Counterfeit Hibernia.
That I can think of.Nice Finds :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete :hello:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Im sure your probably right IP, you most always are. But that bust looks a little bit different to me. ???

Here's one that shows more wear. I can't say 100%, but if the coin in question ends "VS" that's probably what it is. (There are also different issues for this coin but off the top of my head I don't know how much they change)

Attachments

• 1262650958-9713-0.jpg
    1262650958-9713-0.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 870

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:

Here's one that shows more wear. I can't say 100%, but if the coin in question ends "VS" that's probably what it is. (There are also different issues for this coin but off the top of my head I don't know how much they change)
:thumbsup: The V&S fit better on this one.I think you hold your title. ;D

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:

Don't think so, isn't a very good match for British or Irish George III. William III is the closest.

I wasnt doubting you, as I said you are most always right. 8) Counterfeit? :laughing9: Couldnt resist had to throw that in there. :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:

Don't think so, isn't a very good match for British or Irish George III. William III is the closest.

I wasnt doubting you, as I said you are most always right. 8) Counterfeit? :laughing9: Couldnt resist had to throw that in there. :headbang:

My first reaction was William III or this French one which kinda has a similar style bust. That's why I said the left side ending in VS would probably clinch it as William.

As for counterfeit... it doesn't matter. ;D (weight/diameter would be the only way to guess)

Attachments

• fra-1s1774w-s.jpg
    fra-1s1774w-s.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 816

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:

My first reaction was William III or this French one which kinda has a similar style bust. That's why I said the left side ending in VS would probably clinch it as William.

As for counterfeit... it doesn't matter. ;D (weight/diameter would be the only way to guess)
I was just looking at the two Pics here.They seem to be a little different were the V&S is located. :icon_scratch: I've found a few but as you said didn't know till I weighed them.

Attachments

• HIBctf-G3HD-1781.obv[1].jpg
    HIBctf-G3HD-1781.obv[1].jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 806
  • HIB-G3HD-1781.obv[1].jpg
    HIB-G3HD-1781.obv[1].jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 903

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:

I was just looking at the two Pics here.They seem to be a little different were the V&S is located. :icon_scratch: I've found a few but as you said didn't know till I weighed them.

There's lots of counterfeits for those. I see many differences ..... just look at the bottom of the "I"s.

I have one that's an impossible date.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
i cast my lot with IP. William III halfpenny. the backs are often worn smooth. congrats!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:

There's lots of counterfeits for those. I see many differences ..... just look at the bottom of the "I"s.

I have one that's an impossible date.
Yea I see what you mean!Here is my best one.(Counterfeit) I'll stop now before I get deleted! :laughing7: (off topic)

Attachments

• 000_0001[1].jpg
    000_0001[1].jpg
    77 KB · Views: 725
  • 000_0002[1].jpg
    000_0002[1].jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 721

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Iron Patch said:

honestly, it was my first thought - counterfeit William III

OP
OP
firefighter35

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
thanks guys. i thought it was a us coin. hmmm makes me wonder what else is at these houses.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
firefighter35 said:
thanks guys. i thought it was a us coin. hmmm makes me wonder what else is at these houses.

Don't forget they had to use something before the US coins, so in a sense it is an American Colonial find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread