I SAW A WHEEL IN THE SKY! Wheel Mystery Solved Today!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NOTE: Just today 4-25-06 I believe the mystery of the wheel has been solved. Scroll down until you find my new post "Mystery Solved."

Here's the original post...

Okay, maybe it wasn't exactly in the sky. ::) It was in a tree though.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Here I'm THing along an old path in the middle of nowhere and I come upon this old car wheel grown into a tree. You don't see this every day ;D

The trail wasn't very productive today. All newer coins this time.

I'll tell you one thing...I was pooped out a bit after this climb! These northern Michigan hills are steep and tall. And of course I had to leave today without my climbing boots.

I'll have to come back to this spot this fall when the color is full. I'll return and get some pictures then.

The trails were made mostly by the lumberjacks and some by the woodland Indians.

Attachments

• bad2.jpg
    bad2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,126
  • bad5.jpg
    bad5.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,116
  • bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,076
  • bad6.jpg
    bad6.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,106
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: I SAW A WHEEL IN THE SKY!

JudyH said:
Hmmph.....don't you guys recognize a treasure tree when you see it? ;)

You may not be far off, Judy. It is a well known fact that many of the Chicago gangs frequented this area back during the Prohibition days. Just some food for thought.

Z

ZumbroKid

I think the archlogists might of seen the tree picture and now it will be off limits till they can get a grant to study it. After all a wheel in a tree is much more than it appears. They could determine what the people did for a living and what their life styles were like by studing how it was positioned against the tree. ;)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

ThePete said:
I think the archlogists might of seen the tree picture and now it will be off limits till they can get a grant to study it. After all a wheel in a tree is much more than it appears. They could determine what the people did for a living and what their life styles were like by studing how it was positioned against the tree. ;)

archaeologist??? I thought they had rules about using bad language on here? LOL! ;D

There ain't no way I'd tell anybody where that puppy is. My guess is a lot of the locals in that area already know about it. It was probably done by some oldtimer with a good sense of humor. ;D

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I guess that's why everyone walks up there now instead of driving! I'd be afraid to take my car past that thing too!! Thanks for all the great pictures, those are all really amazing. I've never seen anything like that.

Dudes

S

southbound

Cool pic and nice pile of change too.
Vern

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

OK, here's a theory from another up nort' woodtick:

Trees grow out, not up at their base, so that wheel is about as far off the ground as it was when it was put there.

It looks like it may still have a spindle in the hub, and it doesn't appear to have been hung by the bolt holes.

My guess is that it was put there years ago without a tire and used as a pully for dragging logs

Just my 2 cents worth.

Diggem

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

diggemall said:
OK, here's a theory from another up nort' woodtick:

My guess is that it was put there years ago without a tire and used as a pully for dragging logs

Diggem

Good guess...that could be it.

However, I have seen fences grown into trees and pulled up high off the ground.

Whatever this thing is it's cool. I'll probably never see the likes of it again. Most likely this is the only one of its kind.

I plan to go back up there next week and take lots of pictures and also do detecting in the actual area of the wheel.

While there I'm also going to look for any odd piles of stones or other such markers.

Thanks for the comments.

Here's one more photo for a little better perspective:

Attachments

• wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 667

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

that is really cool badge! ive never seen anything like that, i mean ive seen barbed wire fences go thru trees before, but nothing like that, or the other pictures folks put up ( the bike in the tree is a good one as well!) nice post!

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cool Stuff, you sound like me and all the climbing here in Okinawa, I just have to go up that last path to see whats up there... I'm pooped!
Like me to today...Some recent money , but nothing relly old, but for a old bronze pipe...That was nice!
Thanks for the pictures!

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.

do not cut the tree....tell the ranger or property owner to preserve it as a local
monument to the power of nature... lou

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Dave N Japan said:
Cool Stuff, you sound like me and all the climbing here in Okinawa, I just have to go up that last path to see whats up there... I'm pooped!
Like me to today...Some recent money , but nothing relly old, but for a old bronze pipe...That was nice!
Thanks for the pictures!

Thanks Dave (and everyone), I really have enjoyed your posts too. I should think you could find some awesome stuff over there.

The great thing about this hobby is you never know what will turn up in that next spade full of dirt (or in the sky).

HH

Badger

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow check in the last picture, there is a metal detector growing out of the tree also.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Marc said:
That makes me feel old!
(must be a sign to treasure!)

I've been wondering about that very thing, Marc. It could very well be some sort of treasure marker.

I plan to work the area pretty well this week. I'll be looking for any signs or unnatural structures in the area.

I now think someone did this on purpose. It wasn't just leaned against a tree and the tree swallowed it...LOL.

And too, why did they put it where it is? It doesn't really make sense. The trail is old dating maybe to the 1880's (lumber era). Maybe older if it was originally an Indian trail. Why would someone place a wheel on a tree that leads seemingly nowhere? Where the wheel hangs there are no paths and you can barely see the wheel from the path when the leaves are all down. Yes, it's a marker of some sort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread