I SAW A WHEEL IN THE SKY! Wheel Mystery Solved Today!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NOTE: Just today 4-25-06 I believe the mystery of the wheel has been solved. Scroll down until you find my new post "Mystery Solved."

Here's the original post...

Okay, maybe it wasn't exactly in the sky. ::) It was in a tree though.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Here I'm THing along an old path in the middle of nowhere and I come upon this old car wheel grown into a tree. You don't see this every day ;D

The trail wasn't very productive today. All newer coins this time.

I'll tell you one thing...I was pooped out a bit after this climb! These northern Michigan hills are steep and tall. And of course I had to leave today without my climbing boots.

I'll have to come back to this spot this fall when the color is full. I'll return and get some pictures then.

The trails were made mostly by the lumberjacks and some by the woodland Indians.

Attachments

• bad2.jpg
    bad2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,126
  • bad5.jpg
    bad5.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,116
  • bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,076
  • bad6.jpg
    bad6.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,106
Upvote 0

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I SAW A WHEEL IN THE SKY!

U NEVER KNOW WHATS OUT THERE.COOL!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The guy must have been going pretty fast when he hit that tree. LOL
Cool pic.!

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would go and cut that tree down, make a nice top for it, and sell it on
ebay!!!! bet you could get a heck of a price for it!!!! I'd bet anything just for the chunk of tree with nothing else done to it, it would bring at least a couple of hundred.......Treasure is where you find it..........HH

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Geez people ....you can see right off the bat why its there....its evidently a "rubber tree". ;)

Rubber trees are internationally famous for their vicious nature when they see things that are in need of rubber,sometimes devouring entire vehicles......

Hmmmmmm......Let this also serve as a lesson to those "twitterpated " couples who think they want a little "unsafe" afternoon romp in the shade of one.

Attachments

• tree eats bike.jpg
    tree eats bike.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,069

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Man, I would hate to be the guy that finds either one of those with a chainsaw a hundred years from now !

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool pic Badger, Apparently they will eat anything! Tsgman

Attachments

• tik_08.jpg
    tik_08.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,012
  • 297.jpg
    297.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 988

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Very unique.

As for the "unproductive day" Well at least you found some coins and found the wheel.

HH
Mirage

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Roadquest said:
Mich. Thats has to be the cool of cool things I have seen
on here. Did you find any car parts on or under the ground?

Roadquest

The ground in that area is filled with junk. I didn't detect right up to the wheel tree. I was so amazed at finding it that I was back to the trail before I even thought about detecting there.

My guess most people don't even know it's there. Backpackers use the trails in the summer and fall but then the leaves would make the wheel impossible to see from the old path.

Most likely someone a long time ago leaned the wheel against that tree and it just ate it ;D

Can you believe I found an old fence up there too? The top is narrow and there is no room for farmland up there.... really weird. ???

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

MB...You could have found a fence that once enclosed a pasture. When left unattended ,plowed fields can revert back to dense forest in about 40 years. So there might be old foundations along those trails as well. You should see if you could get some old maps of the area and find where the homes/farms were.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

gypsyheart said:
So there might be old foundations along those trails as well. You should see if you could get some old maps of the area and find where the homes/farms were.

Yes, I thought about that when I was up there today gypsy. Tonight I plan to check the area from the satellite and next comes the research.

It's kind of funny because these trails are all over Michigan. I've been told that there are thousands of miles of them. I know I see them all the time as I travel the state. Most every hill has some old looking path running down the side. Well, that makes sense because all this area was heavily used during the peak years of the lumbering industry and before that the area was filled with native Americans. I would think they also needed paths in their day.

I can tell you this for sure, those babies are old.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

BADGER, If Your Tired Of Climbing Up and Down The Hills Of Mich. Come Back Down To The S.C. Low Country, The Closest Thing To A Hill Here Is A Sand Dune. Interesting Pic Though. trk5capt... 8)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

trk5capt said:
BADGER, If Your Tired Of Climbing Up and Down The Hills Of Mich. Come Back Down To The S.C. Low Country, The Closest Thing To A Hill Here Is A Sand Dune. Interesting Pic Though. trk5capt... 8)

Oh man...you could have gone all day without bringing this up...I WANT TO LIVE IN S. C.!

I'm trying very hard to forget all those awesome Rev./Civil War sites but I feel myself losing the battle. Wish I could talk Ma into the move :'(

I'm soooo jealous of you guys living in those areas. I think I'll go hug the few goodies I found last winter. ;D

R

rvbvetter

So thats the tree with the inflated ego, that thinks it's a Bigwheel huh?
That's too funny! Great pictures!! WTG!! HH

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You should cut the tree down and send it to Ripley's believe it or not! At least a picture....

-GC

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Too funny RV! I have to give my opinion here......I would leave the poor tree alone and appreciate a really cool piece of living art!! ;D Okay. Now.....what a really cool find! And finding clad out there in East Jesus is not bad either!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions