Nice Barber Quarter found, until a nieghbor rubbed it...

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Corinth, Illinois It aint on the map! Southern
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/sunray probe, Excelerator EQ2 coil
I have dug a few barber quarters and they are almost always worn down slick. Ive dug an 1892, 1895-0 1897, 1901-s, 1914 and now a 1906-d, that might go Fine, but probably VG. I found in in a private yard, and while showing it to a nieghbor he proceeded to rub some of the dirt off so he could read the date, i about cried. Well at least it wasnt a 1913-s or something...It was found about 7 inches down, right next to the front sidewalk. Found a few wheats in the yard, but its so dry some of the deeper signals were hard to pick up so im gonna come back to it in the fall. This makes silver #112 for 2010.....

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,205
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,207
Upvote 0

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
congrats on the barber! I was at a private residence a month or so ago and showed the owner a 1951 Roosevelt I just found. He rubbed and rubbed that thing in order to see the date. I cringed but then realized it has a value of like $1.20 so I cringed slightly less.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the barber :thumbsup:
HH..Miner

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Barber :icon_thumright: Congratulations :icon_thumleft:
TTH

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010
Nice Barber!!! I didn't even know what one was until my old friend Josh on here gave me one a few months ago...I'd never seen one of these old SOBs ;D

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same things happens to me! I show a freshly dug coin to a passerby or someone, and they go, "Ooooh let's see what you got here" and rub it off as soon as it's in their hand. Lesson learned I guess. :P Yours still looks good. Nice find!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, same thing happened to a buddy of mine and a 1739 KGII. I guess people think we save all the rubbing for total strangers. >:(

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
that coin has been in the ground for a hundred years. I doubt some one rubbing it is going to do any more substantial damage to it. And to be honest, I don't see any scrape marks.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Coins!
I handed a CW era 'A' button I had just dug to a friend, and he immediately started rubbing it to clear the face of dry mud! I said 'NO NO NO!,
and grabbed it back, you should have seen his face!
Most people just don't know :(,
More great digs to You!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Barber! Reminds me of the time in high school back in the 70's, found my first V nickel, showed a buddy in shop class, he walked over to the wire wheel and proceeded to "clean it up" for me. ffd

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
Oh I'm with you dude!..in my early days I made that mistake and had a '21 Stander rubbed! I never hand anyone my stuff, had a friend who found a nice gold ring, showed to a guy who dropped on the road and cracked the stone. The funny thing is I still know some people that rub the dirt of their coins when they find them. Drives me crazy, guy finds an XF early Merc and dirt scratches it then says "well it was only a $10 coin anyway", wish people who do that would just stay home. By the way congrats on the Barber, she's always nice to find.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Nice find, too bad about the neighbor but I don't think it looks that bad............did you say you've found a 1901-S Barber quarter?? If you've got a picture, you've got Banner all day long......

HH all!

Greg

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
I found the most perfect 1816 Large Cent one time. Was in amazing condition and a friend of mine rubbed it. Rubbed it so hard that the front was ruined.. I know the feeling. Now no one touches the coins till there in holders.. Nice find still though.

U

umrgolf

Still looks pretty good :thumbsup: Back in Feb 2008, I had just dug my first barber half (1899) when a guy was passing by. It hadnt been out of the dirt more than 30 seconds when he approached me and asked to take a look.. You know the rest of the story >:( :laughing9:

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
yeah I've learned this the hard way as well. Now whenever someone asks to see a find its always proceeded by "whatever you do, don't rub it at all" with a little explanation why.

just curious, it that a die error under the eye?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not sure the eye is a die error: looks more like damage to me. But it may be an error coin anyway: look on the obverse left star about 10: the added blob near the star point may be a cud. Cud is usually with the rim, but sometimes ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions