A 50 year class reunion

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
After tallying a 1911 wheat from the back yard the other day, I realized that I was closing in on $400 in face for my 6 year detecting career. Typically, my focus is on digging sites where old coins are likely; occasionally, I'll do a modern site just for something to do (and you never know about jewelry). Determined to pass that $400 milestone, I went over near our ballfield yesterday and hauled in $2.43 in clad. Went again today for a while just to inch closer to the goal, and did just that. I had $1.18 in clad when I dug one last signal; it was pretty strong, indicating a copper penny and maybe a dime and I started. Quickly, I realized there was more than one penny, and saw immediately that they were Memorials. They kept coming, and coming, and coming, from about 5 inches down. I had a pretty big pile on my towel when Miss halfdime came over to inspect. When she saw what was going on, she started helping and adding a few comments: "This has to be a world record!" I assured her that it wasn't; wasn't it this year that a chap in England found a cache of 50,000+ Roman coins?
I had a drink cup, and wanted to keep these pennies apart from the rest of the days finds, in part to get an idea when they may have been placed. Miss halfdime was instructed to put the pennies in the cup, and we'd worry about counting them later. I walked away to attend to another matter, then returned. "They're all 1960." "You mean they're all from the 1960's?" "No, they're all 1960, except for a 1941 wheat penny." "What!?"
At home, I washed the pile, then went through to confirm: there were indeed 177 Memorial pennies, all 1960, and a lonely 1941 wheat! Some of the coins still had signs of mint luster on them, leading me to believe that this pile was left very close to 50 years ago. Long story short, I'm now only $6 short of 400.

Attachments

• pennyreunion (Small).jpg
    pennyreunion (Small).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 528
Upvote 0

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Now talk about weird? Sure some interesting ideas why, and even though it gets me thinking, I am not going to comment any of them.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find there halfdime. :notworthy: Maybe it was a time capsule placed there by a very large
Grade 1 class back in 1960 and the 1941 penny was from the teacher! :wink:

celtex

Oct 25, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like maybe 2 rolls of coins were dropped there. Maybe more around there, like 23 more :wink:
Good luck on the 400 milestone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread