Recent find (in my hand) - broken dedector. Now repaired?

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Was at only my second cellar hole site last week. It was my first visit. This one also in woods and dense with shrubs. I had checked out the foundation area of the burned barn first - frustrated by scrap. Found some copper wire near a shed. Then found the house foundation in woods 50 yards away. I carry my XLT in my right hand and in my left I carry my pinpointer, drop cloth and a digger. I was using my closed left fist to push shrub branches out of my way as it was time to head home without really searching at the house. Suddenly - crack - I had pushed on a branch with the detector tip more than with my fist. A moment of vatigued carelessness left me ticked off at myself.
As I didn't want to buy a new pinpointer, and this one still was (working?) I did some brainstorming and the results are below. I bought some PVC pipe which I cut lengthwise as it didn't quite fit - especially due to the tapered pinpointer shaft. Glued that to two sides of the shaft with standard PVC glue. (Keelyco and Whites techs thought the glue would be tolerated) Not knowing how strong the bond would be, I cut down PVC joint pieces and filed them to the correct inside diameter to fit over my splinted shaft and again glued them in place. It seems to function okay though it isn't very pretty. Cost was under $10.

Attachments

• broken MD.jpg
    broken MD.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 570
  • repaired MD1.jpg
    repaired MD1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 564
  • repaired MD2.jpg
    repaired MD2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smart thinking, looks good to me. And hey, as long as it works right, thats all that matters.

HH Twister

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
HOOSIER, Doesn't Have To Be Pretty As Long As It Works. Good Job. Trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 088.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 088.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 528
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 088.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 088.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 537

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats one of the automax`s shortcomings. the probe end is just too darn flimsy. i know mine will wind up the same way someday. good idea about the pvc.its probably stronger now than it was befrore it broke! now, if you could only shrink it a few inches.......... ::)

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your pipointer. You know you can make a good pinpointer out of a stud finder? It's fairly easy, you reposition the coil part and add some wire and pvc and you have a nice pinpointer. Here is a pic of a couple a friend of mine made. Tsgman

Attachments

• home made pinpointers.JPG
    home made pinpointers.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 419
OP
OP
hoosierfinds

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
hoosierfinds said:
Was at only my second cellar hole site last week. It was my first visit. This one also in woods and dense with shrubs. I had checked out the foundation area of the burned barn first - frustrated by scrap. Found some copper wire near a shed. Then found the house foundation in woods 50 yards away. I carry my XLT in my right hand and in my left I carry my pinpointer, drop cloth and a digger. I was using my closed left fist to push shrub branches out of my way as it was time to head home without really searching at the house. Suddenly - crack - I had pushed on a branch with the detector tip more than with my fist. A moment of vatigued carelessness left me ticked off at myself.
As I didn't want to buy a new pinpointer, and this one still was (working?) I did some brainstorming and the results are below. I bought some PVC pipe which I cut lengthwise as it didn't quite fit - especially due to the tapered pinpointer shaft. Glued that to two sides of the shaft with standard PVC glue. (Keelyco and Whites techs thought the glue would be tolerated) Not knowing how strong the bond would be, I cut down PVC joint pieces and filed them to the correct inside diameter to fit over my splinted shaft and again glued them in place. It seems to function okay though it isn't very pretty. Cost was under $10.
Bringing this back up as a response to a question on the metal detecting site. Seemed the easiest way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread