2 Pound 4 Ounce Paperweight

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
They have been doing a little digging around our town, new sidewalks etc. There had been a pretty good sized pile of dirt where Mach 1 got his Cannonball Fragment last week. Thursday night he brought over the piece to show me and we went detecting for about 45 minutes until after dark. Scanning the dirt pile and some or the surrounding ground they had dug up. We found many modern coins a few whats its and he got at first what we thought was a Colonial Coin but after getting it home and cleaning it up we are not sure of what it was. Large Cent size, the right Patina on for it's age but 5 holes in it ??? Couldn't make out anything at least at the time. Kind of a let down, I was sure he had gotten a Coin.
Friday evening I noticed they had removed half of the dirt pile exposing what would have been out of detector reach. So Saturday morning just a little past daylight I went up to have a look. Nothing sounded off in the pile ! I was really surprised, not even a nail. So after picking up a few modern coins on the surface. I went across the road to where they had dug up to install a line or something. There were pottery pieces everywhere. Same deal as the other side of the road, modern coins, pull tabs, junk. Then I got a decent Iron hit. When I pinpointed I could tell it was fairly large. I just kind of knew it was a Cannonball Fragment, could have been a horseshoe but I just had a good feeling. Digging down about 5 inches I pulled out this Beauty ! No doubt what it was. I was really stoked ! I just love this stuff ! Even has half the fuse hole. French and Indian War Baby !!!! I hope they dig somemore ;D

HH
BB

Attachments

• Reunion and Cannonball pics 038.JPG
    Reunion and Cannonball pics 038.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 719
  • Reunion and Cannonball pics 039.JPG
    Reunion and Cannonball pics 039.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 687
  • Reunion and Cannonball pics 040.JPG
    Reunion and Cannonball pics 040.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 671
  • paper weight 003.JPG
    paper weight 003.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great conversation piece!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey - you misssed the "mine is bigger than yours" line in there somewhere! ::) :tongue3: :laughing9:

Great find Bob!

I'll have to get a few picts of that probable coin with the holes in it posted in the what is it section.... its identical in size and thickness to the one I found at the other British camp site at the other end of the county... of course its smooth too! :( But it does not have the holes.... :)

OP
OP
FortBedfordbob

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Mach 1 Pilot said:
Hey - you misssed the "mine is bigger than yours" line in there somewhere! ::) :tongue3: :laughing9:

Great find Bob!

I just can't wait to see if they fit together or there is more to find.....I'm sure of that, they just need to dig somemore

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello2:

Woaaaaaaaah Bob!

I can really appreciate that one!
What a fantastic and historic find buddy!
Most guys would throw that in the junk pile, never knowing what it was.
That's a Banner find any day of the week. :hello2:
As far as the coin with holes, I have read that the large coppers wee used as curtain weights and Buttons, as you probably already know. Maybe the coin was fashioned into button.

Fantastic dig you had there friend. Keep up the great work!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! A French & Indian War morter ball fragment. There have been some of those found at Fort Ligonier too. The coins and relics that have to be buried deep under the streets, yards, and parking lots of Bedford is mind boggling!

OP
OP
FortBedfordbob

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Thanks Guys, getting ready to head to Canada for some fishing. So Happy Hunting and I'll check in with you all in a week or so.

BB

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bedfordbob said:
Thanks Guys, getting ready to head to Canada for some fishing. So Happy Hunting and I'll check in with you all in a week or so.

BB
Canada?? You lucky dawg!

Bring me some fresh Walleye back.
I can remember as kids we would go to Canada for a couple weeks at a time. It was a blast.
Bathing in the lake with the leeches and the water was soooo cold!
Great Pike, Lake trout fishing to boot!

Have a great time Bob and be careful
Mike

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bedfordbob said:
I just can't wait to see if they fit together or there is more to find.....I'm sure of that, they just need to dig somemore

Oh we will find some more when you get back.... that is if DeArmitt doesn't wear out his Etrac at that site before we get back to it..... ::) :laughing9:

Are you sure you are not taking your detector with you to Canada? There has to be a British encampment somewhere close to the fishing hole that needs discovering.... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions