road trip to new 100+ park, hunting good coins, then the cops try to run me out

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so up and out headed to a new spot today.. so i get to the old park and start swinging.. well things were looking good the 1st half hour or so.. few clads and a few keepers already ;D then i see some feet, look up and it is a cop ??? tried to tell me i could not dig.. then went on to say lots of gas and power lines are buried in the park. after my reply of why? told em i am a pro and would not do any damage.. well he pretty much said i could work the top few inches :icon_scratch: after I told him what he wanted to here.. soon as he was off in his car, i was back to digging coins up to 8-9 inches :laughing9: ( did not drive all this way for nutting ) so i pressed my luck, and it held. i was just about to chase a iffy on the way back to the car, and as soon as i touched the ground. i here ( I told u not to dig deep. ) so i pull the digger and walk up. say I'm just leaving that was the last one.. pack up and head out.. looks like the 1st and last time i will be there :'( but i got some keepers!! $3.06 in clad, 1910, 1917, 1934x2, 1938, 1942, 1944, 1945, Wheat's.. 1917, 1943 Merc's. and a 1902 Ih i scraped :( best of digs to all :icon_salut: MR TUFF

Attachments

• Photo001.jpg
    Photo001.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 916
  • Photo003.jpg
    Photo003.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 915
  • Photo004.jpg
    Photo004.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 907
  • Photo005.jpg
    Photo005.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 897
  • Photo006.jpg
    Photo006.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 904
  • Photo007.jpg
    Photo007.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 906
  • Photo008.jpg
    Photo008.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mr Tuff, was he really concerned about you hitting a gas or power line, or just trying to chase you off?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Can't speak to the gas lines, but, if my memory serves me right (I no longer own a code handbook) the National Electric Code says that buried power wires need to be:

6" down if encased in metallic conduit
12" if in plastic conduit
18" if direct-buried (no conduit)

There are some provisos for frost depth as well that would make the required burial depth deeper

Bottom line is you should not encounter buried wires unless you are digging 18" or more......................

Diggem'

OP
OP
Mr Tuff

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt fishing Wolf said:
Nice finds Mr Tuff, was he really concerned about you hitting a gas or power line, or just trying to chase you off?
yea he said somthing about criminal damage to property at the last encounter. so i decided to get out while i could! johny law is always unclear when they have a hard time tring to come up with a way to run u off.. he was not making a whole lot of sense.. one of them hot shots... MR TUFF

OP
OP
Mr Tuff

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall said:
Can't speak to the gas lines, but, if my memory serves me right (I no longer own a code handbook) the National Electric Code says that buried power wires need to be:

6" down if encased in metallic conduit
12" if in plastic conduit
18" if direct-buried (no conduit)

There are some provisos for frost depth as well that would make the required burial depth deeper

Bottom line is you should not encounter buried wires unless you are digging 18" or more......................

Diggem' thanks i will remember that :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would call the parks and recreation department and double check for permission. Get the persons name and phone number at the recreation department so if you run into the police officer again there wont be any problems.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Nice finds there MrTuff, with ones like that I would have to do some checking to see if he was being straight or not, sounds like a load to me, either way you got some goodies out before being run off! HH!

Chuck.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job, I can't believe you held your ground. I've had police come up to me asking what I'm doing, I say "looking for old coins". Then they leave. It's just nosy neighbors, not liking some strange guy in the neighborhood. TS. In parks, permission is assumed, unless otherwise posted. Clean that spot out before it's too late!

goldguru

Aug 24, 2005
kinda Were a cell phone cam comes out Nice Tuff Take a pic of the Badge that way once Home U have His ## without having the Blue slip In yer pocket..then U can enquire @ yer leisure whether it be @ the local parks or the P station..Nice finds But I hear U on the frustration Level..

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
goldguru said:
kinda Were a cell phone cam comes out Nice Tuff Take a pic of the Badge that way once Home U have His ## without having the Blue slip In yer pocket..then U can enquire @ yer leisure whether it be @ the local parks or the P station..Nice finds But I hear U on the frustration Level..

I would be careful taking a picture of the police officer. Some states its against the law and can result in arrest. That could be the quickest way to upset a law enforcement officer. I work in LE and sometimes others dont know how to handle the situation. I would have probably been a nuisance and asked you to many questions about your finds over the years.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Man, if I at least got a reason I would consider it worth, well, considering... usually when I encounter, er.. authorities, they expect you to do as daddy says and go away. Whenever I have asked questions, the answer is always the eyebrow-lowering and constant repetition, so as to say "you have your orders, I don't need to explain anything to you, boy". So yeah, an actual attempt to reason with you, I think, is a good sign. Personally, I would be thankful to be told about pipes or wires where I was digging, heh. But, as said previously, might be a good idea to find out -where- the pipes and wires are so you are prepared to show your pro-ness when hassled again.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Tuff... You might be hunting on this Officers hunting grounds :thumbsup:

Sweet coins thou..Seems like the trip was worth it

snowyettie

Feb 19, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, and Ace 250
You weren't in Lockport were you? My hunting buddy and I were "asked" to leave a park here. We were in the woodchips area of a playground, with no one there, and the officer drove up onto the woodchips in his suv. lol Told us it was against the law to dig and that we were destroying the park. Funny. He didn't even get out. Anywho, nice finds! Keep it up.

B

Bev

I wrote to my local DEM and asked about some "Archeology license" I heard about and told them I was interested in detecting in the woods. I got an Email back going on about beaches and parks- beaches not during people time and parks I have to ask permission. Nothing about the woods at all ::) so I printed that up and put it in my "research folder" in my duffle bag in case anyone says go away. I havent had anyone all official approach me yet.

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
RiverRat3 said:
I would call the parks and recreation department and double check for permission. Get the persons name and phone number at the recreation department so if you run into the police officer again there wont be any problems.

I think this would be what I would do also. After permission granted get back out there cause you know there's more. Cop probably just trying to show is authority. Nice going on the finds.

Skelly607

Bronze Member
May 5, 2010
Danville Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO M6 Ace 250
HA! Your hitting his park,,,,, "dont dig to deep" he wanted you to get the trash for him and leave the deeper coins! Bad cop no Md for you! Nice finds!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check with rec park authorities or park officials. If I could'nt get an answer there I would go straight to city hall and inquire if there were any laws against metal detecting in the local parks in town. Once I got the ok I would inform them of the situation that occured and get an answer from them as to how I should respond to the officer in question. I would also let the officals know that I'm not a novice. That I cover my holes and remove the trash and that part of my professionalism of detecting is why I am there inquiring.

dave in iowa

Jan 29, 2008
iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Track, Minelab S.E. , and a Whites Prizm 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Public park , happened to me once , i called the park board and got permmission even got a note from them and the same park patrol guy told me to leave , i showed him the note and said just dont make a mess lol ,what a boob he was .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread