Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then what? Toothbrush?

Thanks for the reply...

LowGradeCopper

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago & Cincinnati
for a beginner

you could use a toothpick or match stick to flick off dirt - slice the end off at an angle with a very sharp razor blade - no heavy pressure

for toothbrushes I prefer a chopped down brush from oral B

http://www.oralb.com/products/endtuftedbrush/

the best way - mechanical combined with long term soaking - is under a stereo microscope but that takes a long time to get used to

dish soap is generally not harmful to a coin like that and you can use warm water - you'd be surprised how effective that can be - helps get the surface dirt off

some use peroxide - I do not advocate that for copper - for a variety of reasons

no need to try electro - resale value is almost always destroyed - patience is key in cleaning EVERYTHING - some items soak for well over a year before the nasties break down and give up the glory and I would call that an average time needed - change water often, let the item dry every once in a while - don't scrub it too often or too long - the brush will tell you everything you need to know: brown = working

there are plenty of articles online related to coin cleaning - take them all with a grain of salt but there is alot of useful information to be found

OP
OP
pjm66

pjm66

Jul 18, 2010
Somerset Co NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again.

Cool little coin---tiny---I'll try to post a pic later

OP
OP
pjm66

pjm66

Jul 18, 2010
Somerset Co NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks exactly like that except mine is from 1957. I managed to scrape a lot of the gunk of with a toothpick---will do more tonite. The coin is basically emerald green...patina, I assume?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread