Unusual find from this past Sat. morning...

Burning Metal

Dec 6, 2008
Tampa Bay area Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I found these this past Sat. while doing my usual Sat. morning beach detecting routine. None of the jewelry is anything good...not real silver or gold. Thought it was unusual to find a pair of earrings though...they were about 15 feet from each other. I usually see hardly anyone else on the beach detecting when I'm there, but this Sat. I saw 3 people in the water with detectors and 3 more on the dry sand! The unusual find is the large bullet...this is the first time I've ever heard about any ordnance being found on this beach! An older lady that was there said that this beach was used as a target range during WWII, I've lived in the area for over 20 yrs and had never heard that before...
Lido-Beach-finds.jpg

Upvote 0

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a 20MM round... I used to work on the F-15 Eagle and that what it shoots!

Chukers

daroofa

Apr 8, 2010
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
chukers said:
That looks like a 20MM round... I used to work on the F-15 Eagle and that what it shoots!

Chukers

I was thinking .50 cal, but could be wrong. BM, check the headstamp as there should be some letters and numbers which would tell you when/where it was made.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff!

The bullet is a .50-caliber machinegun round. . . it's most likely a "live" round with gunpowder still in the casing. If you don't want it around the house, give the police a call and they'll take care of disposing of it.

(Just don't tell them you found it metal detecting :wink:)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice shells you have there. We have a place called shell island up in the Gulf off of Panama City that we go to get huge shells and Sand dollars :wink: :wink: I'd say that is probably a .50 Cal shell you have. I find them all over here in Virginia left over from WWII. And being that was the favorite round for their equipment back then and that Florida was a place that they loved using for target practice, its a good chance it could be left over from WWII. There's an easy way to find out. If you could, read me the number off of the bottom of the shell and tell the date it was made.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going by memory... Its been 20 years...

I looked the 50 cal and the 20MM and you can see the difference now I see them both...
Compared to the 50 caliber slug the 20mm is much bigger

The pics show the differences... good IDs

Attachments

• 50cal.jpg
    50cal.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 20mm.jpg
    20mm.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 278

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread