1650s Philip IV Spanish Cob (1/2 REALE)

U

umrgolf

1650's Philip IV Spanish Cob (1/2 REALE)

I also posted this on the Spanish Cobs forum, and they believe it to be 165?, Philip IV and definitely a Mexico City mint, assayer "P"

New Close-ups

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

yesterday's next to the 1699 from May

IMG_0045.JPG
I'm still on cloud 9 about this coin.. I was out today with not too many options as Josh and I have hit a lot of our sites pretty hard. I decided to head to a site which borders the property where the 17th century posy ring came from back in May. Josh and I had been over it once before with very minimal luck.. Today the signals seemed to be hitting better than the first time we stopped.

The first hour or so yielded some bullets and buttons---

1830's 2-piece Eagle A w/ a great green patina
IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

Civil War Navy kepi button (iron back)
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

3-ringer still in the dirt clod :wink:
IMG_0010.JPG

The next hour yielded a couple more bullets and another button--

1820's one-piece Navy
IMG_0004.JPG

.69 caliber 3-ringer & Richmond Lab sharp's
IMG_0011.JPG

and then came the early buckle and coin on the last line of the day.. This area was settled just a few years after Jamestown and also had a Civil War campsite a couple hundred years later, so it's not uncommon at all to turn up the 1600's stuff.. I'm not sure if I'll get a date on this coin, but fingers are crossed.

1/2 reale cob (dirty)
IMG_0001.JPG

Upvote 1

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spanish Cob (1/2 REALE) & more

:notworthy:

Great Cob Jeff :headbang: I'd love to find just one of those, not much chance here :-\ although I did see one once found at a Rally in North Yorkshire :icon_thumleft:

SS

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

I don't know , I think this should be Banner material .
Good luck in Chicago. My brother did his bootcamp out there, then went up to Brunswick Naval Air for his hitch. That was awhile ago.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Awesome find
Congrats
Dman

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Now this is what I like to see being dug by the J-Team. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: A solid day for you, my friend. :thumbsup: You not only struck a sweet cob (definitely older than 1699 :wink: :laughing9: :laughing7:), but that 17th century spur buckle would make my day. :headbang: Thanks for sharing your finds, Jeff. Take care! Say Hi to Josh for me. :hello:

Kirk :hello:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds my friend. The cob is great, hope you get a date off of it. Best of luck in the windy city, Take care, :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds :o !! :laughing7: Amazing how a CW buttons and a 17th century silver can be layered into the turf within feet of each other in that primo VA hunting grounds . Maybe you will you move back there after your service days . Sounds like Chicago blues will be your future soundtrack , been there, it is a Great city with some very cool people !! 8) 8) I am voting BANNER for the cob !! :headbang: :o before you roll out of Virginia , have a :occasion14: .. :thumbsup: What A RUN , for the J-Team , :( gonna miss the "Double Trouble " , killer hunt's , of Jeff and Josh !!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

CMDiamonddawg said:
Nice finds :o !! :laughing7: Amazing how a CW buttons and a 17th century silver can be layered into the turf within feet of each other in that primo VA hunting grounds . Maybe you will you move back there after your service days . Sounds like Chicago blues will be your future soundtrack , been there, it is a Great city with some very cool people !! 8) 8) I am voting BANNER for the cob !! :headbang: :o before you roll out of Virginia , have a :occasion14: .. :thumbsup: What A RUN , for the J-Team , :( gonna miss the "Double Trouble " , killer hunt's , of Jeff and Josh !!

Thank you ALL for some great replies and votes.. Dawg, it is amazing, without a doubt the best type of site :headbang:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spanish Cob (1/2 REALE) & more.. Video Added!!

That, my friend, is a FANTASTIC day! :notworthy: I'd take the spur buckle in a heartbeat. Any artifact dug in the U.S. that is more than 300 years old would occupy a prominent place in my collection. The cob is a stellar find. There might be a shot at narrowing down the date range.

Killer stuff, my fried!

-Buckles

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

BuckleBoy said:
That, my friend, is a FANTASTIC day! :notworthy: I'd take the spur buckle in a heartbeat. Any artifact dug in the U.S. that is more than 300 years old would occupy a prominent place in my collection. The cob is a stellar find. There might be a shot at narrowing down the date range.

Killer stuff, my fried!

-Buckles

Thanks BB, went back this morning for a couple hours and found a couple 1820's US Army greatcoat buttons and a beat up NY

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice find, I wish I could get one as nice as that :notworthy: (at the moment 1 of any date will do, but I prefer these early crude looking ones) :hello2:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad to see your gettin your "Virginia" fill....Not so sure the windy city will have cobs and such.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

CRUSADER said:
Very nice find, I wish I could get one as nice as that :notworthy: (at the moment 1 of any date will do, but I prefer these early crude looking ones) :hello2:

thank you Crusader :icon_thumleft:

Sniffy said:
Glad to see your gettin your "Virginia" fill....Not so sure the windy city will have cobs and such.

thanks Sniffy :icon_thumright: i doubt there will be either :laughing7:

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
That Spanish is killer....just killer. Congrats Golf. I would be flying high on that one.
Chris

Thanks Chris, I'm still feeling pretty good about it :headbang:

ASG3

May 30, 2010
Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1650's Philip IV Spanish Cob (1/2 REALE) Better close-ups Added!

The new pictures look great. That is a half reale like you said. :icon_pirat: Look forward to our next hunt, Jeff.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent find UMR! Bet it's your oldest to date. Congrats...................Hogge

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

hogge said:
Excellent find UMR! Bet it's your oldest to date. Congrats...................Hogge

thanks hogge, actually got a 1640 french copper this year,..... and a roman bronze :tongue3:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

SUPERB! 1/2 reale like finding a half-disme, only a LOT older. GREAT FIND!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Tuberale said:
SUPERB! 1/2 reale like finding a half-disme, only a LOT older. GREAT FIND!

...and a lot more common! Nice work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread