1650s Philip IV Spanish Cob (1/2 REALE)

U

umrgolf

1650's Philip IV Spanish Cob (1/2 REALE)

I also posted this on the Spanish Cobs forum, and they believe it to be 165?, Philip IV and definitely a Mexico City mint, assayer "P"

New Close-ups

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

yesterday's next to the 1699 from May

IMG_0045.JPG
I'm still on cloud 9 about this coin.. I was out today with not too many options as Josh and I have hit a lot of our sites pretty hard. I decided to head to a site which borders the property where the 17th century posy ring came from back in May. Josh and I had been over it once before with very minimal luck.. Today the signals seemed to be hitting better than the first time we stopped.

The first hour or so yielded some bullets and buttons---

1830's 2-piece Eagle A w/ a great green patina
IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

Civil War Navy kepi button (iron back)
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

3-ringer still in the dirt clod :wink:
IMG_0010.JPG

The next hour yielded a couple more bullets and another button--

1820's one-piece Navy
IMG_0004.JPG

.69 caliber 3-ringer & Richmond Lab sharp's
IMG_0011.JPG

and then came the early buckle and coin on the last line of the day.. This area was settled just a few years after Jamestown and also had a Civil War campsite a couple hundred years later, so it's not uncommon at all to turn up the 1600's stuff.. I'm not sure if I'll get a date on this coin, but fingers are crossed.

1/2 reale cob (dirty)
IMG_0001.JPG

Upvote 1

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spanish Cob (1/2 REALE) & more

Wish I could've gotten out with you today but you know how it is with School :-\ :-\ Nice piece of Silver though, another one for the J-TEAM! I'm glad you nabbed you one last nice find from VA before the Navy sends you off to Siberia aka Chicago. That one u'd look good at the top :wink: Maybe we can get a couple more before you have to leave. :wink: :wink: :wink: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

{Sentinel} said:
Wish I could've gotten out with you today but you know how it is with School :-\ :-\ Nice piece of Silver though, another one for the J-TEAM! I'm glad you nabbed you one last nice find from VA before the Navy sends you off to Siberia aka Chicago. Maybe we can get a couple more before you have to leave. :wink: :wink: :wink: :headbang: :headbang:

thanks Josh... Siberia's about right ::) we'll see what happens...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice Cob! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

pepperj said:
Nice Cob! :icon_thumright:

Thanks pepperj :icon_thumleft: I'm hoping to get a date, but I can't find a legible number.. maybe if I overclean it :-\

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

killer finds :o MR TUFF

ASG3

May 30, 2010
Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

8) man, you got the goods again. Was great hunting with you last weekend :headbang: and I enjoyed the call today also, you were just a bit excited :icon_pirat:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are killing us out here in Denver. I'd be wearing that coin as a necklace in a heartbeat.
And I hate wearing bling.
And annoying every human I work with telling them about it.
Kudos!
Carl

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

OldeGuy3 said:
8) man, you got the goods again. Was great hunting with you last weekend :headbang: and I enjoyed the call today also, you were just a bit excited :icon_pirat:

good hunting with you also :headbang: thanks man

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
You are killing us out here in Denver. I'd be wearing that coin as a necklace in a heartbeat.
And I hate wearing bling.
And annoying every human I work with telling them about it.
Kudos!
Carl

good idea :D

Mr Tuff said:
killer finds :o MR TUFF

thank you :icon_thumleft:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice assortment of relics Jeff!!! Your recoveries span many years of history. Good luck with your military school training. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

VOL1266-X said:
Nice assortment of relics Jeff!!! Your recoveries span many years of history. Good luck with your military school training. HH, Quindy.

thank you Quindy.. the orders have been messed up twice now so we'll see if they go through next week :-\

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great finds Jeff.
That's a nice chunk of silver you dug there too.
I got out today and realized they cut the corn on one of my fields. I was geeked to get on again.
I must have dug everything out of that place last year because I couldn't hit squat.
I'm glad you had a good day

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Very nice find!! I think that site had a civil war period well.

In one spot I found about 12 different kinds of military buttons including Navys, Eagle "I" and "A"s as well as 1 piece concave militia and some beautiful US great coat buttons. Another guy I took there found another handful of different buttons. Glad you got some early Silver off of it. I dug a VA half penny there as well. Supposedly a flowing hair dime came off that site. Glad you are making the most of your time in VA. I hope Chicago treats you well.
-Ev

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Re: Very nice find!! I think that site had a civil war period well.

metalev4 said:
In one spot I found about 12 different kinds of military buttons including Navys, Eagle "I" and "A"s as well as 1 piece concave militia and some beautiful US great coat buttons. Another guy I took there found another handful of different buttons. Glad you got some early Silver off of it. I dug a VA half penny there as well. Supposedly a flowing hair dime came off that site. Glad you are making the most of your time in VA. I hope Chicago treats you well.
-Ev

thanks ev... its very cool to be able to dig on a property you know :icon_thumleft: seems like it's treated MANY pretty well :thumbsup:

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

4-H said:
Great finds Jeff.
That's a nice chunk of silver you dug there too.
I got out today and realized they cut the corn on one of my fields. I was geeked to get on again.
I must have dug everything out of that place last year because I couldn't hit squat.
I'm glad you had a good day

some sites are weird like that... seem to dry up after one or two trips.. and others, you have to go a couple times before the good stuff shows up :dontknow:

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007

Very nice cob...I really love those buttons too :icon_thumleft:

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful Cob! Grats on such sweet finds.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

my guess on that cob is sheild type -- mexico city mint --1607 to 1734

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread