Tried To Trade This HUGE Old Padlock I Dug To Dman For 3 CSA Bullets-No Dice!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dman wanted to hone his golf skills this morning so we planned a mid afternoon hunt at an old 1840s home. He found some modern coins as I did on my first trip there. I dug this old iron lock. Neither of us have ever dug one this big. The brass lockplate has writing but I can't make it out. Then, Dman showed out by finding 3 dropped .69 cal. Round Balls dropped by Gen. Morgan's Troops before we left. I offered a trade as he has an old country store glass top showcase full of Ag. and other iron relics from our hunts in his store. Since Gen. Morgan's Soldiers bullets from this site are VERY difficult to recover anymore, he declined the trade.
Any info. on the age or maker of the old lock is appreciated. HH, Quindy.

YTD Total Colonial and CW Relics=138

Attachments

• 9-17-10 Hunt.jpg
    9-17-10 Hunt.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 980
Upvote 0

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
Re: Tried To Trade This HUGE Old padlock I Dug To Dman For 3 CSA bullets-No Dice!!

wow!!!! nice lock!!!! i want to relic hunt really badly but my area too new, 1921. :-\

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Awesome lock.. I will trade you some of the maneuver bullets I found for the lock. I don't think you have many of them. ::) I have a friend that found an anvil in the sky while it was lightning that I can trade for the lock also. ;D
Dman

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice early lock!This is my biggest....the pic really doesnt do this thing justice!!!

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 897

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello:
Hey Man.

You still hanging around that Dman dude? :D
Just kidding "D" I love you brother.

I think that lock is about spot on the era you mentioned the home site to be.
It's a beautie. :icon_thumleft:

You need to go back and dig again!

"I have a friend that found an anvil in the sky while it was lighting that I can trade for the lock also."

can you believe this guy? ;D

Peace

U

umrgolf

nice lock Quindy, I found one similar this year that I gave to Josh.. not sure about the age, he would know

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kuger said:
Thats a nice early lock!This is my biggest....the pic really doesnt do this thing justice!!!

Thanks Colorado. I have hunted Mule Deer around Lamar and Granada, Colorado and saw many OLD deserted ranch house sites that need to have a coil run over the ground there.
Dman, keep the manuever bullets.
Cody, that's a BIG one. I found one CW period D M & Co. lock at a Yankee CW site very close to where Dman found the round balls today. Your lock looks great to be mid 1800s. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4-H said:
Hey Man.

"I have a friend that found an anvil in the sky while it was lighting that I can trade for the lock also."

Peace
I have learned not to believe him Mike. I would like to soak that lock in WD-40 and lock him and Modern Miner in a cell. Thanks Buddy.
umrgolf2010 said:
nice lock Quindy, I found one similar this year that I gave to Josh.. not sure about the age, he would know
Thanks Jeff. He will sign on sometime this weekend and see it. There's some good food in Chicago-you'll gain 20 pounds-LOL.. HH Bud.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
kuger said:

Thanks Colorado. I have hunted Mule Deer around Lamar and Granada, Colorado and saw many OLD deserted ranch house sites that need to have a coil run over the ground there.
Dman, keep the manuever bullets.
Cody, that's a BIG one. I found one CW period D M & Co. lock at a Yankee CW site very close to where Dman found the round balls today. Your lock looks great to be mid 1800s. HH, Quindy.

Hey Quind,your a buck hunter too huh??

Thanks,we dig that style lock quite frequently in mid 1800's sites,the one pictured is in great shape as it came from a arid climate :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine even has your guys or at least D mans initials on it....you can be Co.!!! :laughing7:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
4-H said:
Hey Man.

Peace
I have learned not to believe him Mike. I would like to soak that lock in WD-40 and lock him and Modern Miner in a cell. Thanks Buddy.
umrgolf2010 said:
Thanks Jeff. He will sign on sometime this weekend and see it. There's some good food in Chicago-you'll gain 20 pounds-LOL.. HH Bud.
Together?

Oh Lord

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Qman,
Congrats on the 1800's lock, and to find it with the keyhole cover is a real bonus. :icon_thumleft:
I've been looking at your lock photo and trying an assortment of high tech imaging on it to see if I could make out what was on that keyhole cover. I've narrowed it down to either: "Drink more Ovaltine", or "Paris Hilton - Cell #69". Not sure which though. ???
Seriously though, it has curved writing and a symbol of some sort that I can see. I was wondering if it could be similar to this one I found? :dontknow:

As far as you trying to take advantage of Dman's good nature with that trade, shame on you! :violent1:

Have a great weekend, and don't forget to milk those chickens.

-Doug-

Attachments

• MVC-151S.JPG
    MVC-151S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 706

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Qman,
Congrats on the 1800's lock, and to find it with the keyhole cover is a real bonus. :icon_thumleft:
I've been looking at your lock photo and trying an assortment of high tech imaging on it to see if I could make out what was on that keyhole cover. I've narrowed it down to either: "Drink more Ovaltine", or "Paris Hilton - Cell #69". Not sure which though. ???
Seriously though, it has curved writing and a symbol of some sort that I can see. I was wondering if it could be similar to this one I found? :dontknow:

As far as you trying to take advantage of Dman's good nature with that trade, shame on you! :violent1:

Have a great weekend, and don't forget to milk those chickens.

-Doug-
Yep, It's Paris Hilton alright

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tried To Trade This HUGE Old padlock I Dug To Dman For 3 CSA bullets-No Dice!!

colorado14ers said:
wow!!!! nice lock!!!! i want to relic hunt really badly but my area too new, 1921. :-\

Colorado14ers,

The Spanish were through-out Florida from the 1500s on up into the 1800s. The French also wanted a piece of the action. So, there were battles fought all up and down the Gulf side of Florida. Then, in the early 1800s, Andrew Jackson brought troops into FL and fought the Seminoles. Go to your local library and researce the history of FL, you might be surprised at what you might find.

Then, in the early 1900's, there was a big "land boom" in Florida. Even the Chicago mobsters had villas here and there up and down the Gulf coast. If I remember correctly, the Naples area had sheltered areas where pirate ships could weather out a bad storm.

I assure you that there are many artifacts still in the sand of Florida.

Eagle

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

EagleDown said:
colorado14ers said:

Colorado14ers,

The Spanish were through-out Florida from the 1500s on up into the 1800s. The French also wanted a piece of the action. So, there were battles fought all up and down the Gulf side of Florida. Then, in the early 1800s, Andrew Jackson brought troops into FL and fought the Seminoles. Go to your local library and researce the history of FL, you might be surprised at what you might find.

Then, in the early 1900's, there was a big "land boom" in Florida. Even the Chicago mobsters had villas here and there up and down the Gulf coast. If I remember correctly, the Naples area had sheltered areas where pirate ships could weather out a bad storm.

I assure you that there are many artifacts still in the sand of Florida.

Eagle

That I didnt know!!! I didnt know they came to naples that long ago!! maybe there is hope ;D

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking lock!

I'm dreaming of finding one someday.... still attached to a clasp... that is still attached to a steel box.... that is still full of gold coins! :tongue3: ;D :headbang: ::)

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

colorado14ers said:
I must apologize to you because I thought you were in Colorado (i toolk the name literally). I will say that I have seen some excellent pre CW reilcs and coins that were dug in Florida and posted on Tnet. Thanks for looking and hope to see your future find on banner sometime. HH, Quindy.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI

VOL1266-X said:
colorado14ers said:
I must apologize to you because I thought you were in Colorado (i toolk the name literally). I will say that I have seen some excellent pre CW reilcs and coins that were dug in Florida and posted on Tnet. Thanks for looking and hope to see your future find on banner sometime. HH, Quindy.

no biggie :D I guess i can relic hunt, just have to go north a little. I am planning on going to Arcadia this winter, very old and it has a old river going through it but its like a 2 hr drive >:(. oh well a drive never hurt any treasure hunter ;D

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dixiedigger said:
Hey Quindy, wouldn't Doug let you post the bullets? I need some help down here with the playboy Relic Hound!!
Based on the picture that I saw of him all dressed up that I received, I'd say you do. He looked older than 14 years. You, Dman, and I will have to wear tuxes just to go hunting with him now. I'm afraid he's getting ready to swap his detector time for girls and become a playboy. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• Sept. 2010 Relic Hound.jpg
    Sept. 2010 Relic Hound.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 331

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread