1893 Chicago Columbian Exposition Medal

Collectingstuff

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
I found this today at a flea market for $30. How did I do? I would love to know more about this medal/token. The back says "To C. Emmerich & Co.". Im guessing this was an award medal?

ggggg.png

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
C

Collectingstuff

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
I only found one like mine on Ebay and the seller started the auction at $200. I sent some pics and information to Heritage Auctions so hopefully they can give me an idea of what its worth and its rarity.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collectingstuff said:
I found this today at a flea market for $30. How did I do? I would love to know more about this medal/token. The back says "To C. Emmerich & Co.". Im guessing this was an award medal?

ggggg.png

Now that is interesting and talk about "timing",,,,,,

I found this napkin ring at yesterday's garage sale, and it's from the same Exposition except it is engraved with the date, 1892.... They sold it for $1...
Here is a link to it and some of the other items sold back then:

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,chicago-worlds-columbian,798303.html
http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,798303.html

OP
OP
C

Collectingstuff

Greenie
Aug 22, 2010
A person at heritage auctions said it was worth around $100 or so.

This is the message I got:

Thanks for contacting Heritage. There is not a strong market for world's fair collectibles at present. I have seen other examples of your medal, including one presented to the famous globe-trotter Nelly Bly. I think it would have modest value... maybe $100 or so. It is not something we could use.

daroofa

Apr 8, 2010
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
If it had said "Chas. Emmerich & Co" on the back you would have hit the jackpot as it is rarer and more valuable. Chas Emmerich & Co. were one of the largest producers of feather and down goods at the time. Still a good buy and a neat find. :icon_thumleft:

tmot99

Sep 28, 2010
That looks to be so-called dollar size and the name is appropriate. It is a miniature size of the actual award that was given to Emmerich at the Columbian Expo. About 22,000 awards were given at the expo and companies used there awards in their advertisements. Emmerich had these minis made for their advertisement. It comes in 2 versions, Chas. Emmerich and Emmerich. I have also seen the Kimball company (pianos) have the same medals. I actually have this medal in bronze as issued as well as a trial piece in aluminum.

In this condition, I'd bet this would sell at most for $50. If you get a couple of crazy bidders that haven't done their homework, you might see more for it. I can understand why Heritage would say $100 or less. Worn and corroded versions are generally available and therefore, don't carry much value. It's the really nice, unworn pieces that can bring a couple hundred bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread