Dont know till you dig

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
Don't know till you dig

While detecting an old wagon road ,yesterday, I swept over a large flat rock and received a large silver indication.I soon discovered the rock was too big to remove with my garden spade.Walking to my truck for my pick,I envisioned a nice cache of coins under the rock.Removing the stone I started digging,I sure was disapointed when I unearthed a small coil of copper wire with a wire end attached!

The day was not a total bust though,I introduced the neighbors 8 year old son to the world of metal detecting. He done the digging so he confiscated all the money found.

Yesterday's finds were:1 grease gun end,1 pour spout from a 1 pound salt box,1 clad dime,3 pennies 8 .22 caliber shell casings,and the usual assortment of trash found while detecting.

Had a lot of fun though and still have about 80 acres of the farm to detect.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
S

southbound

Re: Don't know till you dig

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you Hasbeen! That is one large farm. Good luck.
Vern

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know that "could be" feeling you get when you start digging. I hit a good strong iron signal a few weeks ago, started digging to find a rusty square corner, like on an iron box. A few minutes later, I had a nice 2 foot long piece of angle iron! But for a few minutes anyway, I was digging up an iron strongbox full of Morgan silver dollars, lol! Good job intoducing the youngster to the hobby! Better luck next hunt!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

hasbeen your story sounds all too real and familiar.

You could have wrote how you walked 10 feet and dug a large cent, two more feet and got a Civil War button at 12 inches, and finally a seated dollar at 15 inches.

But no...you had to tell the truth! Some people just have no sense of imagination.

At this rate you'll never make field tester for one of the major firms!

Hope you locate the loot soon.

Badger

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the excitement of what could have been under that rock is what makes us keep goin back! ;D

Congrats on those finds!

;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread