Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Single shot percussion "boot pistol" from the 1850's period

:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang:

This is one of my better CW relics for our collection to be donated soon!
I still can't believe this.

I set off in the early AM hours Tuesday to see if I could dig a few Civil War relics where I have found both Union and Confederate items in the past. Have you ever had those days where you don't just feel like detecting AFTER you drove a good distance? Yeah, it started like that. It was rough around the ole house after Tennessee took a whoopen from the Gators last weekend. :laughing9: Maggie loves college football, and her team is the TN. Volunteers. :D Having went to school there and graduating with 2 degrees, she will tell you blood pumps orange in her veins. :D

So, Just on the outside of the North Carolina border into South Carolina, I drove to one of last years favorite fields. The corn that was standing had just been cut recently, so I was pretty stoked in anticipation of what the day might bring. Yawning and groggy still, I attached my gear, chose my coil to start with and sipping the remainder of the coffee from my old Coleman thermos. As I watched in awe, the neon red glow of the sun just coming up, burning the fog, and warming my face, giving me a good feeling and the pep needed to start hunting. I noticed in the corner of the field, a real nice Whitetail buck who had obviously been scoping me out for quite a while. As we stared at each other for a minute or so, he wiggled his white flag tail, put his head down, and continued grazing, as if he knew I wasn't there to harm him or fill my freezer that day. :D I pressed the power on the new GPX5000 I did a quick noise cancel and ground balance and started to rhythmically sweep the dirt, listening to the symphony of musical tones bouncing around my Grey Ghost NDT's . It wasn't long before I got my first real good solid tone, that I dug a really interesting looking roman button/attachment. I slipped it in my keepers side of my Orvis fishing vest and continued on. After digging several civilian buttons and some dropped and fired lead, I got this tone, this really, really sweet tone. I thought, "whoa, what is this?" As I carefully dug my plug from the hard red S.C clay, a strange brass object laid right at the bottom. I couldn't believe what I was looking at, or what I had thought I was looking at. I thought, " Man, that looks like a gun barrel" "Could it be"? I gently put it soft side of my finds vest and continued on gridding. It was so hard to concentrate , I couldn't stand it any more. I shut down the Etrac, and took the miniature cannon looking object out and observed it a little more closely. I thought again, "oh man, I think this is a boot pistol!!" Still, reluctant to take my clothes of and do cart wheels in my very religious farming buddies field, :laughing9: I thought, "how can I get this ID'd out here?" I thought of calling my wife Maggie, but I knew she was out of the office. One name came to mind, Quindy, Vol1226-X I called up my Tennesee buddy, and after us two "old schoolers" figured out how to send a picture off the phone, I snapped a couple, and sent them in to Quin. Of course I did it wrong, and they never got there, thank God, because if I would have donr the cartwheels I spoke of earlier, I probably wouldn't be welcome there again... EVER! :laughing9: Just kidding of course. So When I got home I sent some pics via internet to Sir Quindy, the I.D expert. It wasn't long at all when Quin called me and authenticated it was indeed a Boot Pistol! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: This is such a historic find for the American Civil War archives and enthusiast's. A pistol, from a fallen soldier, seriously? fighting for his side of the woods. The pistol would have been used as a back up fire arm. Maybe he was using it when he fell. :-\ If this doesn't send you imagination into a frenzy, nothing will. This is an artifact all of us passionate American, Military relic hunters dream about.
I'm proud to say that this and other relics like it will, be donated to a museum in the area it was found, so history can be taught, remembered accurately.

Other finds were a full, intact 1781 Carolus lll Reale!! :hello2: Last week I dug a cut version. This one is in fantastic shape. Another find was an 1808 Sheldon American large cent. Looks like the rare version from what I can see of the back!
Lead pistol and rifle rounds, buttons and a real nice American Native broad head point.

The pistol is a single shot percussion boot pistol from 1852-55 it is a Leige.

Thanks Quindy and Buckleboy for your help on the ID!

Thank you for looking
Mike Post

Attachments

• PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 4,462
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 5,519
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 5,455
  • PICT0023.JPG
    PICT0023.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 5,456
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 5,441
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 5,438
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 4,605
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 4,599
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,562
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 4,323
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 4,376
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 4,287
Upvote 4

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Single shot percussion "boot pistol" from the 1830's period

Dman said:
Q really knows his stuff but don't tell him I said it. He already has he head too big after getting articles published in 4 or 5 magazines.
Dman

Dman,
I remember Q's articles in Tiger Beat, GQ, Cowsmopolitan, Farmers Almanac, and Goat Herders Weekly, but what was the 5th one? :icon_scratch: :laughing9:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Dman said:
Q really knows his stuff but don't tell him I said it. He already has he head too big after getting articles published in 4 or 5 magazines.
Dman

Dman,
I remember Q's articles in Tiger Beat, GQ, Cowsmopolitan, Farmers Almanac, and Goat Herders Weekly, but what was the 5th one? :icon_scratch: :laughing9:
Because I must deal with you two, It was an article in "Morons Weekly". HH, Quindy.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW!! You recovered some great stuff there. . . the boot pistol is awesome :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey thanks guys for the votes on banner.
I still can't believe I found it~

Dman,
I remember Q's articles in Tiger Beat, GQ, Cowsmopolitan, Farmers Almanac, and Goat Herders Weekly, but what was the 5th one?

Because I must deal with you two, It was an article in "Morons Weekly"

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds, outstanding !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great group of finds there Mike :headbang: Congrats :icon_thumleft:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, I managed to find...my way to the bathroom yesterday. Rascal!! Excellent hunt! Congrats. I'll vote banner on the boot pistol, but maybe a little better pic and more info on it too for us that don't know much about that sort of thing.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

RGINN said:
Well, I managed to find...my way to the bathroom yesterday. Rascal!! Excellent hunt! Congrats. I'll vote banner on the boot pistol, but maybe a little better pic and more info on it too for us that don't know much about that sort of thing.
You got it.

Thanks buddy. I don't see you too often over here.
Thanks for the vote!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
RGINN said:
You got it.

Thanks buddy. I don't see you too often over here.
Thanks for the vote!
As i thought Mike that square copper button has the figure of Marc Antony of Rome:thumbsup: nice find

Attachments

• 2457206_177.jpg
    2457206_177.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 4,493

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice going on the pistol and the silver. :icon_thumright:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

VOL1266-X said:
ModernMiner said:
Dman said:
Dman

Dman,
Because I must deal with you two, It was an article in "Morons Weekly". HH, Quindy.
Yeah! Q wrote an autobiography. It's time for us morons to take back this country. The trouble is we don't know how. Besides, Q has to take me metal detecting next week. Next week is take a moron metal detecting week.

Stray Cat...

Greenie
Sep 12, 2010
So. Plfd. NJ
Detector(s) used
DFXcellent!

Very well written, might pay ya to do the same for my postings!!! Great finds too!!!

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's some really great find you got yourself.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sweet finds!!!!!! :o :o :o :o MR TUFF

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man ,what an awesome hunt!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man that is a fine recovery of that pistol frame. Old Silver and angry lead and a 10,000 to 7,000 year old Big Sandy arrowhead(looks like). Geeez..There has to be some time frame in there you have missed?
Nice finds 4-H. Maybe the buck was an omen?
TnMtns

rocko dogg

Dec 22, 2008
marion nc
Detector(s) used
6000di pro sl and xlt

great finds 4-H ive been researching the town of mortimer nc it was a boom town til 40 flood we need to hit it this winter. ps check it out on google

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread