First day metal detecting ever and a find!

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I've wanted a metal detector since I was 8 and just got one about two weeks ago, (a Garrett GTI 2500). So finally at 42 I can start metal detecting. I have made a few contacts on this website, through the local metal detecting club and through White's Electronics website, (even though I own a Garrett). I was hoping to find another digger locally who I could go out with. I found a guy on White's and he took me out to a local park that he thinks has great potential.

I knew very little about my GTI, but Tennessee Treasure Hunter (Raymond), has been a great help. He too owns a GTI and he gave me some great tips. That along with watching the Garrett video (yes, VHS - not DVD), helped me get a head start. Thanks Ray!

Anyway, the park we went to has been around since the 1800s and not two minutes from turning on my machine for my very first MD hunt, I found something. The signal came through pretty clear and I did not know what to expect since I am still trying to learn everything about the GTI, but after digging a little, I uncovered what seemed to be a bent in half piece of metal. After cleaning it off, both my friend and I came to the conclusion that what I had found was a bell from an old telephone. Remember the kinds of phones that you would have to hold a cylinder up to your ear and speak into another cylinder connected to the phone, (all I can think of is old Westerns and Little House on the Prairie)? Anyway, those phones had two bells mounted near the top that when a call would come in, they would ring.

That's my find. It's not much and it is bent in half, but I found something that was old. The rest of the day I pulled pieces of scrap out of the ground, lost me new $50 digging knife, (found it later) and became thoroughly confused as to what a real signal is as opposed to just some noise. My buddy said that I probably had my sensitivity too high. I started off in Discrimination Mode (Coins) and later switched to All Metal.

I had fun nonetheless. I learned a few valuable things...

1) Never leave your digging knife in the sheath unsecured - mine was not left behind, but fell out after brushing up against a tree or something.

2) You MUST have a pinpointer or you'll be digging all day. My buddy had one and once I saw how fast he was working with it, I went down to my local store and picked up a White's. (Now I can use their forum as a White's owner).

3) Always have something to drink with you.

4) Have a rag or something to wipe your digging tool before putting it back in the sheath, your hands, your coil, the item, etc... This is a really dirty hobby.

5) Have fun and dig. It was great to get out, meet a new friend and just enjoy the day. I am looking forward to more.

If you read this far, you are probably wondering why I did not post a photo. Well, it's because I am lazy today and it was not all of that impressive a find. Bent in half it was hard to tell what it was and I don't think it would transfer to a photo as well. I'll post something the next time out!

Chris / LI Digger

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture or not glad you had a fun first hunt. I enjoy hunting new ground always hoping for that once in a life time find. Good luck in all your hunts.
TnMtns

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Nice post: well-written, thought-out, and executived! Pics are always optional, but always appreciated. And if no one else has said it yet, welcome to TNet!

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Port Jeff nice was down ther to see my uncle this spring lots of places to go near by . best of luck welcome to t-net

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Chris welcome to an awesome metal detecting board, people on Tnet are mostly helpful and friendly. The knowledge is shared here regularly and a big help for the beginner as well as the pro!
You have chose an memory making, exciting, and a healthy hobby that can be very addicting ( in a good way)!
My first hunt was with a cheap radio shack machine and I found a penny and a stove lid, which I kept for years. Keep at it and it will reward you with more that money.
HH
Roger

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is that its a start, your not put off & it all down hill from now on. Good luck & don't think of all those lost years :laughing7:

OP
OP
lidigger

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Still in the process of learning and not much to take a picture of. I found two cents yesterday (both newer) and a good amount of pulltabs this past week. I'm waiting for the weather to clear up so I can go out again. :thumbsup:

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
lidigger said:
Thanks all. Still in the process of learning and not much to take a picture of. I found two cents yesterday (both newer) and a good amount of pulltabs this past week. I'm waiting for the weather to clear up so I can go out again. :thumbsup:
Good luck with everything and I hope you find some silver soon. How do you like your pin-pointer. I haven;t used mine yet dose it make it faster to find? I had to siffed through alot of dirt and it was a bit time consuming given I had a limited time I could dig.

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Just don't tell the wife that is all you found or she might start looking at you sideways if you seem excited about it. ;D and just remind her that there are lots of diamond rings found from time to time....

The Cat

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Congrats ! I am glad you are able to start your adventures. It is fun , and you never know what you'll find. Takes some patience and time, but you'll get there !

I just got my pinpointer in the mail Saturday (Garrett Pro Pointer) and it works wonders ! And yes, always have some drink with ya. I enjoy detecting and a few beers. Haha !

Keep up the work ! :headbang:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
"2) You MUST have a pinpointer or you'll be digging all day. My buddy had one and once I saw how fast he was working with it, I went down to my local store and picked up a White's. (Now I can use their forum as a White's owner)."

That could have been item #1 in my opinion. Nothing MADE my MDing experience better than when I got my PP, the Pro Pointer. I was ready to quit before I got that thing. martin

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txconservative said:
Congrats ! I am glad you are able to start your adventures. It is fun , and you never know what you'll find. Takes some patience and time, but you'll get there !

I just got my pinpointer in the mail Saturday (Garrett Pro Pointer) and it works wonders ! And yes, always have some drink with ya. I enjoy detecting and a few beers. Haha !

Keep up the work ! :headbang:

Congrats on your first day digging! :icon_thumleft: :wink: You'll find like all of us, that detecting is an addiction that once you start, you'll never get out of your system... and your finds will get better and better with time. In addition, I agree with TejasConservative about the Garrett Propointer. I relic hunted for YEARS without using a pinpointer because RELIC HUNTERS didn't need a dang pinpointer, that was for others ::) ;D Anyway, I'm an ace at scanning dirt and don't NEED a pinpointer BUT I will tell you, they definitely cut down on recovery time! Don't waste your time with cheap pinpointers either as they break after a couple months use. Go straight to the Garrett Propointer, its the best on the market and VERY durable :icon_thumleft: I've had mine now for a couple years and its a valued part of my accoutrements.

sandals55

Nov 25, 2008
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites PRL 1, M6, BHID300
Hey Chris!!!....sounds like you got the bug alright!....anytime you want to go out, give a shout, we met at the club.....welcome to TNET!

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!

I just had my first day back since I was a kid. I dont have a pointer yet and totally agree that one is as important as spare batteries!
For the moment I am going to use a magnetic strip that holds kitchen knives on the wall and sweep it through any
shovel of sand i dig.

Best of luck!

rory

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread