Buckle piece....

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Been awhile…Haven’t done much detecting in the past year…I found this piece of buckle in the woods along a small lake today…The lake is one I’ve kayaked on for years, but I always assumed it was man-made…Last week I came across an old postcard that showed an old mill on the lakes bank..Seems that activity in the area dates pretty far back..

I figured I’d take my detector and go for a paddle this morning and check out a couple of spots…
I stopped at a small area that juts out into the lake and this was the third signal I dug….It was about 4-5 inched deep…Didn’t think much of it…and didn’t think it was that old….I spent about 20 minutes there and dug a memorial cent and a clad quarter.. The other spots I stopped at were full of "Partiers" junk which was discouraging…

Folks over at "What is it?" tell me it’s colonial period…if so…it’s my oldest find to date…Guess I’d better go back…Thanks for looking….

Attachments

• buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 248
  • site.jpg
    site.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 248
  • buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice Colonial Buckle, definitely some more relics (coins?) hiding around there. Good Luck on your next trip! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is certainly a 1700s shoe buckle chape. Now all you need to do is zero in on the site. It's possible that it is a random drop, but most likely there was a structure close by somewhere.

Cheers,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread