goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the twenty to a local coin dealer who I think is fair. The place was very busy with the price of metal what they are. I told the owner i had no interest in selling this coin but could he give me his opinion of it .He was kind enough to take the time . He seemed to be very pleased that it was a twenty and as Mainer said even more that it was a cc .He said that this is easily a vf with very minor enviromental damage . He didn't seem to see the flaw beside the wing (I did not bring it to his attention,he was very busy) for some reason that is much more obvious on camera than to the eye ,weird. Any how he said being a cc coin makes this worth hundreds more !!! this could easily be worth 600 to 650 !!! Someone in the coin shop said thats a find of a lifetime. . . i perfer to think not, if someone 125 years ago had this twenty in his pocket and lost it why couldn't he or she have had two????????????? I think this lady has a sister out there somewhere in the cold Maine soil just waiting to be rescued!!! thanks for the views and comments ..H.H. bill

Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From one Mainer to another, I hope she does have a sister waiting to be found cause I would love to find one. Congrats again on a very rare find. :icon_thumleft:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill ! That is a Banner find and it may still make it ! I,m pretty sure this coin had a brother ! In your original post you said found it at a site we had hunted together this spring ! I found this 1877 CC mint quarter at that spot the year before ! They must be related ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• 1877 seated liberty.jpg
    1877 seated liberty.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 480
  • 1877 seated liberty.jpg
    1877 seated liberty.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 482
  • 1877 seated liberty #2.jpg
    1877 seated liberty #2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 484

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Understanding how coins circulated back then, it is extremely rare that a Carson City (no less a Twenty cent'er) would be found in Maine. Nice find and congrats.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you two knock it off. ;D your killing me with these CC's. :laughing7: Congrats to the both of you. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
goldbill

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Will you two knock it off. ;D your killing me with these CC's. :laughing7: Congrats to the both of you. :thumbsuphote] hey hey the maine people have to stick together a little . can you even imagine what its like hunting behind where HE has been . It's like empty soils all targets are gone !!!! that alone makes this coin even more rare this is something Mainerelic left behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most values I see posted for finds are a bit overly optimistic, but I completely agree with this one! Just check Ebay, a crap 1875 cc gets a couple hundred bucks.

You hit the daily double... rarity with condition! The rarity is the tough one, and most times if you get it you don't get the condition. It's great getting both! :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely agree with IP's comments regarding your twenty cent piece - real rarity + condition
equals solid value , no argument ! Wonderful find !!! Argentium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread