The Boys are back in the Pits! A Cache of bottles!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello again from the Pits. Took a few hours off work today and took a couple friends digging with me. I am glad they went because we were digging a hole to China....I think :tongue3:

Started out where we left off the other day as we tunneled into another pit. Turned out fairly decent with my buddy grabbing up his first ever bottle! Wohoo...a keeper Milk bottle. Then Don jumped in the pit and snapped up a nice little ink. :thumbsup:. I of course was having a blast watching them go back and forth with their bottle finds :laughing7:

Went on to finish that pit and then we started on the other 4 pits we hade probed the previous day. We thought we were jinxed or something because all we were finding were ash pits. >:( Glad Don decided to hit one in the middle of the yard as it started to show some glass. 8) Now the game was on as we started popping out a few olive oil bottles and an occasional broken blob beer. Then we started snagging a bunch of Hutchinson soda bottles. Most were South Bend Soda and Mineral Water bottles. An Otto J. Zipperer showed up to play as well as a blob beer from Ohio I think. Then another Amber blob beer made me quite happy as the boys kicked me out of the pit for their turn. They soon were seeing bottles just hanging in the ash layers as seen in one of the pics. Then they were out and I was back in...I finally hooked onto a nice Insulator glass, my first non broken one. :o We finished up with a big ole pile of glass. It was a fun day in the pits for sure and it was nice to have a new digger on board. The reward of seeing him excited about the history under foot was plenty of payoff for me. He took home a bunch of bottles for his bar and I have a few more to do history checks on to find where they were made and by whom. So again, it was a great day of digging and I have another new guy to learn the ropes tomorrow..I just hope he brings goodluck, cruddy clothes and gloves and I hope I can find him a decent pit to excavate!!! Goodluck out there and stay safe. Jgas :thumbsup:

Attachments

• S 10.JPG
    S 10.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,578
  • S 11.JPG
    S 11.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,581
  • S 12.JPG
    S 12.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,580
  • S 13.JPG
    S 13.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,579
  • S 14.JPG
    S 14.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,585
  • S 15.JPG
    S 15.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,593
  • S 16.JPG
    S 16.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,567
  • S 17.JPG
    S 17.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,564
  • S 18.JPG
    S 18.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,564
  • S 19.JPG
    S 19.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,569
  • S 20.JPG
    S 20.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,561
  • S 21.JPG
    S 21.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,557
Upvote 0

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those look awesome, awesome job finding them. I need to find people in my area that do this so I can learn how to do it. :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it! I can't wait to do some bottle digging!!

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It was a fantastic spot. Unfortunately I think we ran out today as we only found a couple ash pits. So we went to another yard and pulled out 4 blob beers. I am going back tomorrow to unearth some more I hope.

That coke bottle dates to 1905/6. It cleaned up like brand spanking new too. ;D I must say that everytime I dig these huge thick glass bottles one thing comes to mind....There must have been alot of people with skull fractures during bar fights! :tongue3: Thanks again guys and I hope to post another tomorrow! jgas

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Really nice old glass guys.

You guys are on a roll.

HH Jer

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
That's some great glass! And a lot of it. I've been trying to locate some myself, but lack what it takes to locate the trash piles.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

That is so very cool. You obviously know what you are doing. Are you using probing rods? Don't know much
about them bar from what I have read here, they sound like the way forward to avoid breakage for you! Not that there seems to be any! Is that a Coke bottle? Banner anyway!

Best of luck

rory

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Nice bottles!

There is an Island in the Pacific that has a cave that is full of crates of unopened 1940s coke bottles left by US troops during WW2.

They remain in place because you would need your own substantial craft to move them and then where do you move them to?

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mickk said:
Nice bottles!

There is an Island in the Pacific that has a cave that is full of crates of unopened 1940s coke bottles left by US troops during WW2.

They remain in place because you would need your own substantial craft to move them and then where do you move them to?
My house!

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys. I will be posting again soon. Just need to load up the pics. Got a few more goods with some newbie diggers. As far as the rods go, its just a matter of getting one or two and going out there and experimenting. Just watch out for gas lines! :o...Take care and be safe out there. Jgas

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful finds! Totally jealous.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! If you find some really good glass in one privy, be sure to try the others around that area. Sometimes they will have similar glass in them, bought from the corner store or local merchant.

Cheers!

-Buckles

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: :headbang:
Looks like a "Jack Pot" to me but, I'm not feeling so good seeing you all so deep in the hole.
:hello2:"BE REAL CAREFULL" :hello2:down in there. Don't get too caught up in the digging as to where you forget about your "SAFETY" :hello:.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the thoughts guys, Yep we take good care not to get caught in the moment of digging cool glass. We are very careful. This particular hole was rock hard digging so we knew it would be pretty safe. We are going back to probe somemore in the same area. Hopefully there are a couple more there. :thumbsup: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions