Treasure Set in Stone UPDATED MACRO PIC CLOSEUPS AND X-RAY PHOTOS

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
[size=12pt]LOOK TO PAGE TWO FOR THE LATEST AND THE NEW MACRO PICS!!!!!!! [/size] :thumbsup:

Gambling in Atlantic City is a thing of the past. You'll make out better on the shoreline. I run with a Garrett Ace 250 and came back with this and a few pieces that I think are bayonets, various sand pennies and the mouth of an 1800's amber brown whiskey bottle. It stormed with thunder and lightning the night before, and the surf was really pounding. The beach opened at 6AM and out I went. I turned the stone over and there it was, a chain and a shiny silver coin sticking right out at me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and after the shock wore off, you should have heard me whooping it up. I put it in my bag with the shells I had been collecting prior. I didn't care at that point about breaking any of them, to me I don't think I'll ever find anything better. About a minute after I put it in my bag, an ATV cop went by me, and I ecstatically said "Hi" to him. It was probably pretty out of place, but I couldn't help it. I held onto that bag like my life depended on it all the way back to the hotel room, to show my sleeping partner the treasure I had truly found. I wonder how long it takes to embed coins and chains in to sandstone? More than 30 years, I'm sure. :laughing7: We didn't head straight home, we went to a friend of ours that owns a stones and gems shop. He'd never seen anything like this before. He told us that as is, we are looking at a value of at least $400. We plan to get the stone X-rayed at some random dentist's office to see if there may be a pendant or even a gem on the chain and if we're lucky, there may be more coins. There is an indent in the rock underneath the area that the coin is showing that could have held another coin, it is completely round and about the size of a dime. There's alot of MDing that goes on along the shores of Atlantic City and alot of iron content out there, so I bet this stone could possibly have been overlooked by others more than once. I want to get all of the sand removed that is concreted on this coin, but I'm afraid to hurt it in any way. I carefully removed some of the grains of sand with a razor blade and I am sure I didn't scratch it. It is just enough to see that some letters are still present, but not enough to identify them. I refuse to do anything more to it. I trust someone out there can get it clean. The chain located in the top left of the stone in picture one and on my finger in picture two is handmade, the ends of each link are wrapped over the next loop. It is non magnetic, but has been tested for 14 ct gold and dissolved right away at our local jewelry store, so it's more likely to be bronze. A few more links are showing on the other side of the stone from where it hangs out on the other, so most of the chain could be wrapped up inside the stone. I hope to make banner with this one! I live in Central Pennsylvania and I doubt there is anyone around here that could identify this coin as is, it is thinner and smaller than an American Dime.

Update: There have been lots of views, replies and posts for me. Read the whole post to see the progression of IDing this. We will have the Macro pics of the coin tomorrow (Thursday, October 7th). We have used Goo Gone and the sink spigot for two days (alot longer tonight than the last). It's is showing a spot in the middle of the coin, when it hadn't before, but not much more. We used aluminum wrapped around the coin with baking soda and hot water for about 5 minutes, it didn't help much. We're hoping to find a dentist to do a water pick trick on the coin, although none of the dentists we have called wanted to even do an X-Ray. We paid $105 for two X-Ray photos at Metzger Animal Hospital in State College (I had volunteered here 12 years ago, in High School. We received a phone call back from the head of the Earth and Mineral Science Building here at Penn State. The head of the Department gave me an e-mail for a lady in the Anthroplogy Department. She has lived in Florida and has worked with shipwrecks. Just waiting to hear back from her now. Thanks for the five coin rating, on the My Best Finds Forum, but to see how this is progressing, it goes to show you, that everyone wants to find treasure, but the time and effort it takes to ID and find it's place in history, takes alot of work and patience. No one sees that in the beginning, then you find something good and you realize. Please, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Treasure 1.jpg
    Treasure 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 7,221
  • Treasure 4.jpg
    Treasure 4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7,221
  • Chain_Closeup.JPG
    Chain_Closeup.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,869
  • Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 4,862
  • Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 4,794
  • Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 4,814
  • Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 4,789
  • X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,796
  • X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4,793
Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Wow.. now I've been attacked in a private message by one of the "grumpy old men" who ASSumed I was talking directly to him with my comments about giving the kid a break... There sure are some people on here with serious "issues" and need to get out more and post less I think. Why this particular member took my comments personal and felt they were directed at him is beyond me since I didn't quote anyone or name any names but oh well.. I just looked back at his comments and this guy was actually one of the nicer ones out of those who downplayed the find. There were several others who were downright rude and it was them I was referring to. But... as they say "if the shoe fits". With any hobby there are always some old timers who think they own the hobby, are better than everyone else & do NOTHING to make new people feel welcome. If you are one of those, I repeat.. shame on you. >:(

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1liquigirl,

i was looking over your thread here and have to say it is a very cool find to say the least, good luck with it and thanks for all of the interesting reading and pics

vp

ps: nice to see a couple other people on here from central pa too (in williamsport here)

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit said:
Wow.. now I've been attacked in a private message by one of the "grumpy old men" who ASSumed I was talking directly to him with my comments about giving the kid a break... There sure are some people on here with serious "issues" and need to get out more and post less I think. Why this particular member took my comments personal and felt they were directed at him is beyond me since I didn't quote anyone or name any names but oh well.. I just looked back at his comments and this guy was actually one of the nicer ones out of those who downplayed the find. There were several others who were downright rude and it was them I was referring to. But... as they say "if the shoe fits". With any hobby there are always some old timers who think they own the hobby, are better than everyone else & do NOTHING to make new people feel welcome. If you are one of those, I repeat.. shame on you. >:(

Why's it always gotta be the "old timers"?? :laughing9: :laughing9:

Hell, I'm about as old as they come, but if I don't have anything good to say, I simply don't post.

I agree though. It's really disheartening for a newbie to post something they're really proud of and then have an "old timer" come in and disparage it. Do you think they're starved for attention??? :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus
NHbandit was referring to me.

I suggest he choose his words wisely, and not generalize us "old-timers". If not for us (I'm 54) he wouldn't have a metal detecting hobby to complain about.

As for my post on this subject, I just wanted to know what all the "hoopla" was all about, and I complemented the find.........this gentleman started this new addition to this post by name calling, not I.

Everyone needs to learn in our hobby, especially us "old-timers!" On this site I learn something new everyday.

I shouldn't be penalized because I have 40 years of relic hunting experience.

I dug more than my fare share......and my heartfelt best wishes to all those who swing that loop.

But as for NHbandit, take a pill.

http://follycurrent.com/2009/11/04/folly’s-forgotten-sons-of-the-union/

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/03/nation/la-na-soldiers-bones3-2010jan03

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...dixie_an_effort_to_note_black_union_regiment/

Maybe one day I can be a real relic hunter like him!
Robert Bohrn

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::) ::) ::)

This thread has gone on long enough, interesting find yes, and I look forward to the removal of the coin(if it ever happens) but it certainly doesn't warrant 3 pages....I to are 54, guess I'm a old timer :laughing9:

SS

kracer55

May 4, 2010
Spotsylvania VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why has it gone on long enough? To me it's the same as the TV or radio...if you don't want to see, hear or in this case read about it....don't click on it.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
To those that do not find this thread interesting or worthy. Why bother putting you worthless 2 cents in? Move on!
I for one while not finding it exciting, it's still interesting and enjoy following it.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please dont break it apart. Either it is a good find or just something interesting for your collection. But as been said, its worth more like it is. I have had coins stuck to rusty sand, and old nails, from a ship wreck, and broke them open, to see what was inside, but now, wish I hadn't. Now all I have are rusty nails, and a few coins, that look like the other 1500 that I have. Sometimes its better not to know all the secrets. Maybe it would be nice to get a little more of the coin to show, but then maybe not. You have a nice story to go with it, and even x-ray pics, most of us dont have even that.

It was, and is a great story, and most everyone has been with you on this, keep it up!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maipenrai said:
Please dont break it apart. Either it is a good find or just something interesting for your collection. But as been said, its worth more like it is. I have had coins stuck to rusty sand, and old nails, from a ship wreck, and broke them open, to see what was inside, but now, wish I hadn't. Now all I have are rusty nails, and a few coins, that look like the other 1500 that I have. Sometimes its better not to know all the secrets. Maybe it would be nice to get a little more of the coin to show, but then maybe not. You have a nice story to go with it, and even x-ray pics, most of us dont have even that.

It was, and is a great story, and most everyone has been with you on this, keep it up!!
Ok that's fine, not breaking it open to know what the coin is, that's Liquidgirls perogrative...but that would be the end of the thread :-\

And as a member I have the right to say what I feel, it is a interesting find, but are we going to get to the bottom of the mystery or just talk about it. Liquidgirl has gone to the trouble of Xray pictures..Great, but if we are going to get to the bottom of what the coin is, it needs to be exposed.
I wonder how many of the more experienced hunters would already know what the coin is :coffee2:

SS

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
I have been following this thread from the start, and have rather enjoyed it. Its hers if she wants to take forever to find out what it is then so be it. If you dont like the progress dont follow the thread. AS a member you have that RIGHT!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Silver Searcher said:

This thread has gone on long enough, interesting find yes, and I look forward to the removal of the coin(if it ever happens) but it certainly doesn't warrant 3 pages....I to are 54, guess I'm a old timer :laughing9:

SS
54 must be the magic age where US "old timers" become grumpy old men.. I am also 54.. :laughing9: and for the record it was 55Massachusetts who sent me the private message but I still can't understand why.. My first post was NOT directed towards him and I thought I made it pretty clear it wasn't directed at anyone in particular.. although Silver Searcher does seem a bit grumpy at times.. :P

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
54 must be the magic age where US "old timers" become grumpy old men.. I am also 54.. :laughing9: and for the record it was 55Massachusetts who sent me the private message but I still can't understand why.. My first post was NOT directed towards him and I thought I made it pretty clear it wasn't directed at anyone in particular.. although Silver Searcher does seem a bit grumpy at times.. :P
Sometimes the Truth Hurts :wink:

Ss

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK BOYS, let's play fair or they're gonna break out the BOZO filter :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions