Treasure Set in Stone UPDATED MACRO PIC CLOSEUPS AND X-RAY PHOTOS

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
[size=12pt]LOOK TO PAGE TWO FOR THE LATEST AND THE NEW MACRO PICS!!!!!!! [/size] :thumbsup:

Gambling in Atlantic City is a thing of the past. You'll make out better on the shoreline. I run with a Garrett Ace 250 and came back with this and a few pieces that I think are bayonets, various sand pennies and the mouth of an 1800's amber brown whiskey bottle. It stormed with thunder and lightning the night before, and the surf was really pounding. The beach opened at 6AM and out I went. I turned the stone over and there it was, a chain and a shiny silver coin sticking right out at me. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and after the shock wore off, you should have heard me whooping it up. I put it in my bag with the shells I had been collecting prior. I didn't care at that point about breaking any of them, to me I don't think I'll ever find anything better. About a minute after I put it in my bag, an ATV cop went by me, and I ecstatically said "Hi" to him. It was probably pretty out of place, but I couldn't help it. I held onto that bag like my life depended on it all the way back to the hotel room, to show my sleeping partner the treasure I had truly found. I wonder how long it takes to embed coins and chains in to sandstone? More than 30 years, I'm sure. :laughing7: We didn't head straight home, we went to a friend of ours that owns a stones and gems shop. He'd never seen anything like this before. He told us that as is, we are looking at a value of at least $400. We plan to get the stone X-rayed at some random dentist's office to see if there may be a pendant or even a gem on the chain and if we're lucky, there may be more coins. There is an indent in the rock underneath the area that the coin is showing that could have held another coin, it is completely round and about the size of a dime. There's alot of MDing that goes on along the shores of Atlantic City and alot of iron content out there, so I bet this stone could possibly have been overlooked by others more than once. I want to get all of the sand removed that is concreted on this coin, but I'm afraid to hurt it in any way. I carefully removed some of the grains of sand with a razor blade and I am sure I didn't scratch it. It is just enough to see that some letters are still present, but not enough to identify them. I refuse to do anything more to it. I trust someone out there can get it clean. The chain located in the top left of the stone in picture one and on my finger in picture two is handmade, the ends of each link are wrapped over the next loop. It is non magnetic, but has been tested for 14 ct gold and dissolved right away at our local jewelry store, so it's more likely to be bronze. A few more links are showing on the other side of the stone from where it hangs out on the other, so most of the chain could be wrapped up inside the stone. I hope to make banner with this one! I live in Central Pennsylvania and I doubt there is anyone around here that could identify this coin as is, it is thinner and smaller than an American Dime.

Update: There have been lots of views, replies and posts for me. Read the whole post to see the progression of IDing this. We will have the Macro pics of the coin tomorrow (Thursday, October 7th). We have used Goo Gone and the sink spigot for two days (alot longer tonight than the last). It's is showing a spot in the middle of the coin, when it hadn't before, but not much more. We used aluminum wrapped around the coin with baking soda and hot water for about 5 minutes, it didn't help much. We're hoping to find a dentist to do a water pick trick on the coin, although none of the dentists we have called wanted to even do an X-Ray. We paid $105 for two X-Ray photos at Metzger Animal Hospital in State College (I had volunteered here 12 years ago, in High School. We received a phone call back from the head of the Earth and Mineral Science Building here at Penn State. The head of the Department gave me an e-mail for a lady in the Anthroplogy Department. She has lived in Florida and has worked with shipwrecks. Just waiting to hear back from her now. Thanks for the five coin rating, on the My Best Finds Forum, but to see how this is progressing, it goes to show you, that everyone wants to find treasure, but the time and effort it takes to ID and find it's place in history, takes alot of work and patience. No one sees that in the beginning, then you find something good and you realize. Please, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Treasure 1.jpg
    Treasure 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 7,221
  • Treasure 4.jpg
    Treasure 4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 7,221
  • Chain_Closeup.JPG
    Chain_Closeup.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,869
  • Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 4,862
  • Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_2.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 4,794
  • Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_3.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 4,814
  • Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    Coin_Closeup_4.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 4,789
  • X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    X-ray Pic 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,796
  • X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    X-ray Pic 2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4,793
Upvote 0

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Treasure Set in Stone UPDATED NEW PICS

Well since it has a rimmed edge im still leaning toward modern merc or rosie. Im trying to play with it in photobucket but can't really make out much. I do see what looks to be "STA" but I could be wrong. Very intriguing, I woulda have hammered it can't stand suspense :tongue3:

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

I know, the suspense is awful. It is a very illusional coin, you see something in it, then at a different angle you see something else. Thanks for checking this out.

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

Jim couldn't make out any more detail in Photo Bucket. What is everyone else seeing here?

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What does the edge look like?

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

use a magnifying glass and write down the letters that can be seen in the second to last pic... that might help identify it.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

very cool! dyin to know what the coin is.appears to be smaller than the dime in size comparison,idk i'm stumped :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

The edge is either flat or it's possible from a few repeating patterns that it had a square pattern on it. A square on one end of the edge, then a square on the other end, then a square on the first end of the edge, then a square on the second side of the edge, etc. As to the letters from left to right facing inwardly towards the middle of the coin and wrapping close to it's edge. We think there's a V, then coming out of some concreted sand a possible D, the next two, most likely IA. Then a Trident looking symbol, but missing the middle stake. Then the space for about two letters are under the concretion and then an I is showing through the sand, but it could be just part of a letter. I know there is more to it than that, but its all that shows. At another angle it looks like it says METAH. If you hold it upside down reading the letters if they were facing outwardly towards the edge of the coin, the letters look much larger but I can't make out the letters, they're oddly shaped. It could be a small capital D, then a line that goes to the edge of the coin that could be attached to a odd shaped and crooked and oversized R and an O or U. And that's the thing, it's hard to tell what you see, the sand on it needs to go away. Hope this helps you all, please give me more suggestions on what you think, so I can narrow the possibilities down a bit and research into this more.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well I know its so tempting to do so but do not remove any of the sand/corrosion it will only damage the coin... we have to find a way to get it x-rayed or what ever will let us see into it. Besides if you do get it out the value of the piece will be drastically reduced.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

Hi there 1LiquiGirl, seems like you have a few issues going on with this item, first is what is the coin, and will it be worth more $400.00 out of the rock, and for that matter what do you want to do with this item? do you want to sell it or are you going to hold to it? As far as the x-ray goes I am surprised about the dentists saying no, maybe contact some Veterinarian in your area, take it in and show them so they know what it is, other then the iron it should be like x-raying a big kidney stone! I would think to look for a large animal vet as they should have the right machine for this. Good luck and please keep us posted, also try the magnifying glass trick for the close up's, that is a super cool find, and I don't know if i could hold back as far as peeking, I would think that if you just wanted the thin bit of stone on the coin itself you could try some Googone, it's an orange oil type adhesive remover, I have never had a bad reaction with it on coins and I think it would soften that part enough so that you could use a sharpened Popsicle stick to pick and lift the chunks off. Also I am betting the chain and coin are together. HH!

Chuck.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

1liquigirl said:
The edge is either flat or it's possible from a few repeating patterns that it had a square pattern on it. A square on one end of the edge, then a square on the other end, then a square on the first end of the edge, then a square on the second side of the edge, etc. As to the letters from left to right facing inwardly towards the middle of the coin and wrapping close to it's edge. We think there's a V, then coming out of some concreted sand a possible D, the next two, most likely IA. Then a Trident looking symbol, but missing the middle stake. Then the space for about two letters are under the concretion and then an I is showing through the sand, but it could be just part of a letter. I know there is more to it than that, but its all that shows. At another angle it looks like it says METAH. If you hold it upside down reading the letters if they were facing outwardly towards the edge of the coin, the letters look much larger but I can't make out the letters, they're oddly shaped. It could be a small capital D, then a line that goes to the edge of the coin that could be attached to a odd shaped and crooked and oversized R and an O or U. And that's the thing, it's hard to tell what you see, the sand on it needs to go away. Hope this helps you all, please give me more suggestions on what you think, so I can narrow the possibilities down a bit and research into this more. the r and o and u could be carlous from a spanish reale. willy

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And the suspence builds !! Gotta love this forum :thumbsup:

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

Tattooguy, thanks for the suggestion about applying Goo Gone, I have some of that, but I do not want to apply any chemicals that will absorb into the coin or rock, that would be awful to give it an appearance that it's been cleaned. I may be taking a little trip to the Coin Beach area in MD to have a museum look into cleaning it for me. The head of the Penn State University Earth and Mineral Science Building has yet to get back to me and it's frustrating me. Maybe he's mad that I called him on his cell phone while he was teaching class, maybe he thinks it's a prank call, but whatever it may be, you would have thought he would jump on it as soon as he left the class. I like your Veterinary clinic idea, I will be checking into that.

DfxWilly, The possible R O and U letters are facing outward, to the Edge of the coin. I think the Carolus letters on a Spanish Reale face towards the middle of the coin. Don't they? Thanks though, this is the type of responses I'm trying to get, this helps me narrow down the possibilities of what it may be.

Please help me ID this coin

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, ya got a whole bunch of us wondering. :D

OP
OP
1liquigirl

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA

Got the stone under the sink spigot running water on it right now, used Goo Gone on it earlier, and it helped minimumly. Maybe I'm impatient and need to leave it on the coin longer. We can see a little more.... but, these darn concretions are plagueing me. I'm ready to chew the darn sand grains off with my teeth!

Update: The spigot is getting the sand off in the middle!!!!

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

Hey there again 1LiquiGirl, yeah I am thinking you need to let it soak in for hours and hours, my thought is that it will penetrate and get between the sand and the coin. Also as far as the Popsicle stick what I would do is nip the end off so you have a straight edge then sand or file a chisel point in it, so you can get the thin edge between the sand and coin. Above all go slow and easy! I know what you are feeling about seeing what you have, but a little rushing could cause you a long time of regrets.

Chuck.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Stuff :thumbsup:

I hope you got these things soaking now..it will be nice if they are ready for us in the morning :laughing7:

One of those im sure is a Merc dime..I put it up to the screen and its REAL Close

Keep us posted

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a find! Congratulations :icon_thumleft: Just my opinion . . but if it were my find, it would go into my display as is. If I could afford it, I would make you an offer on it, it looks great as is. I hope that you are able to find out what the coin is without damaging the entire piece.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread