SKULLS, RATS AND TEDDYBEARS!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
SKULLS, RATS AND TEDDYBEARS!

Well it’s a day after the actual hunt but I’m finally getting around to writing about it. Two parks and lots of treasures... and a few coins too! Some surprises to be sure.
I got an early start Wednesday morning, after making breakfast for my wife and I. The venue for the day would be public parks, two of which that I’ve not detected at in quite a while. I chose the parks because all the kiddies would be in school and I wouldn’t have to worry about playing the Pied Piper, or so I thought. I found myself alone at the first park, for a while, it being a pretty day and all, even if a bit early, a couple of moms brought their toddlers to the park to play. So, I picked up a train of toddlers following me around the woodchips. At least they kept a respectful if curious distance. It’s amazing how much more interesting one part of the playground becomes as I move into it with the detector. Oh well.
Coins were almost jumping out of the woodchips and the ground that morning, along with all kinds of pull tabs of course. There were a few other odds and end as well, like this “cap” or whatever it is. When I first started uncovering it it looked like a gold ring! With Stones! I gold and diamond ring!? My heart was racing. *sigh* Alas, it’s not gold, they aren’t diamonds, and it’s not even a ring. I’m not sure what it is to be honest, maybe someone out there can identify it for me.

Gold Comp.jpg

While I’m talking about “Whatzits” maybe someone can identify it too? I’m thinking some metal flair or decoration from a handbag or purse or something maybe.

decoration.JPG

I found the kinds of things I’ve grown to expect in the tot lots too, odds and ends, the grommets , the zipper pulls, snaps, buttons, CO2 cartridges... <huh?>

Stuff.JPG

There were the usual tot lot treasures of course and pieces and parts of jewelry be it real or “junque”.

Treasures.JPG

Under one particularly large shade tree I found the light. Light as in flash light that is. It was buried , but the wire lead to a pair of headphones was on the surface.

light.JPG

As I was walking back to my truck after searching around the basketball courts I hit upon another loud signal. Another flashlight perhaps? No it turned out to be the remains of someone’s watch. Apparently it hasn’t worked for some time. It’s certainly not a timex.

watch Comp.jpg

After lunch I moved on to the second park I had planned to hunt that day. It was still too early for the school kids to be out and about and fortunately this time there were no curious toddlers following me around. The coins were coming one after another, pennies mostly but plenty of bigger denominations as well. Then there had to be a Rat in the mix. One of those cursed Chucky Cheese tokens. <grin>

Chuck.JPG

From Rats to the Morbid... sort of. One big coin target signal, solid on the fifty cent/dollar range, turned out to be a largish pendant. A skull! A Psychedelic Skull ! An ALIEN Skull maybe... but wait, what is that on the skull? It’s the Grateful Dead Teddy Bear! Oh Wow Maaaan!

Skull Comp.jpg

It was pretty much over at that point, just a bit more cleaning up of clad and trash. I found a couple of keys, not so unusual.

Keys.JPG

I bagged several Coke Rewards bottle caps... making my brownie points don’t you know!

Caps.JPG

Lastly the three pounds or so of coins recovered from the woodchips and playgrounds... when cleaned a bit, sorted and counted I finally came up with a total of $13 plus.

Clad.JPG

Not bad for a few hours work, even if it was compiled from two different sites. Made my gas money, and my lunch back and then some! Of course it all goes to the Vacation Fund... which will be coming into use sometime soon I hope. Of course I’ll probably get a few more opportunities to add to that fund in the next week or three. I hope you all get out to have a little fun as well. As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

sgratrider

Sep 21, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a good day,i'm digging the grateful dead pin (?) looks like it was a pin at one time, ahhhhhh the memories !!!!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
sgratrider said:
thats a good day,i'm digging the grateful dead pin (?) looks like it was a pin at one time, ahhhhhh the memories !!!!

Perhaps it was a pin. I thought I saw the "stumps" of a ring on the top of the "skull" that would have made it a pendant. <shrug> Either way I thought it was kind of cool to find. The song "I Will Survive" instantly popped into my head when I dug it up. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt that GD item with fetch a few dollars on E-Bay anything grateful dead sells
:thumbsup:

Attachments

• grateful_dead.jpg
    grateful_dead.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 588

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• saratoga.jpg
    saratoga.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 579
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Deepdiger60 said:
Good hunt that GD item with fetch a few dollars on E-Bay anything grateful dead sells
:thumbsup:

There's the skull again.. and the Teddy bear... is that an album cover or something Deepdiger? I've enjoyed the music by the dead for years, but I'm not exactly what you would call a fanatic. I'm no true "dead head" by any stretch of the imagination. <shrug> But I could say the same thing about most any other band no matter their musical niche. I wonder if many other bands have metal skulls out there burried waiting to be found by us metal detectorists? <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Jack Straw

Jun 24, 2010
PA/UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
i would glue that steal yer bear right to my detector. let me know if ya wanna sell it.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Mishawaka hunter said:
HAHAHHA, just yesterday I pulled 3 of the Chucky Cheese tokens from the sand near a slide in local park. Interesting coincidence, or they have littered every kids pockets in the midwest with these things.

Yeah, I think they have. Must be a prized possession amongst the toddlers and preteens of America. A "token" of success perhaps. <laughing> I find them in nearly every park and playground I detect, even athletic fields for soccer, football and baseball. They're Everywhere! They're Everywhere!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Jack Straw said:
i would glue that steal yer bear right to my detector. let me know if ya wanna sell it.

Unless you glued it to the control/display module it might just throw off you detector. <grin> It *IS* metal after all... mess witht he coil... <grin> It's now residing in my "treasure chest", I wouldn't know the first thing about selling anything on E-bay or what it might be worth to begin with. Nah, I think I'll just hang onto it... along with my other found treasures. Thanks anyway Jack.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread