Found Railroad Track coin... but I think its a half cent though :-(

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Found Railroad Track coin... but I think it's a half cent though :-(

During yesterday's hunt, I found a probable railroad track coin as it was thinner than a regular coin. It's also not uniformly round. After some cleaning, the word “LIBERTY” came clear, but unfortunately not much else. Weight is only 3.2 grams, so that puts it roughly in the Half Cent realm. It's slightly larger than a quarter, but smaller and thinner than a large cent. It almost looks like the date is 180x, but I really can’t tell for sure. The yellow arrow is pointing to the "8" in the date. Can anyone determine what design it actually is? The back is pretty much toast. I can only see the “EN” which can be seen in one of the pics. What do you guys think?

It's kind of neat but kind of a bummer for what looks to be my first half cent.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• RailRoad Track coin Oct 2, 2010 (3).jpg
    RailRoad Track coin Oct 2, 2010 (3).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 439
  • RailRoad Track coin Oct 2, 2010.jpg
    RailRoad Track coin Oct 2, 2010.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 406
  • 8 with arrow.jpg
    8 with arrow.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 419
  • RailRoad Track coin Oct 2, 2010 (1).jpg
    RailRoad Track coin Oct 2, 2010 (1).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Re: Found Railroad Track coin... but I think it's a half cent though :-(

Hi there Testing123, that is a cool find, being a bit of a train nut I wonder what type of steam loco did that! As far as what type of coin it is I am going to say Indian head cent for several reasons, first the weight issue, I looked at half cents and the weights ranged from 5.44 grams up to 6 plus, now you say yours weighs 3.2 grams, the IH weighs 3.1 according to the one site I found. Also the word Liberty appears to be set in from the edge, maybe about where the Headdress is on an IH, the half cents I saw had the word right near the edge. Now I am by no means an expert on train flattened coins but I have done around 20 and they all seem to just get bigger, the design does not shift around, again at least on the ones I have seen, hope this helps and HH!

Chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread