fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While taking pic's & looking for arrowheads yesterday, I was walking in a dry section of a local river, I saw this metal object & gave it a nudge with my boot, it was a tin can, the lid came off & it was (full to the brim with coins).
after collecting my wits about me, I started taking pic's, & hurried home to clean them.
The whole can was full of rust , & coins were even sticking together, so by noon the next day, (today), I finished cleaning them the best I can for now, they had been in a tobacco sack with a drawstring, in the can.
Totals were.............1 peace dollar
1 Silver coin from the Netherlands
4 walking liberty halves
10 mercury dimes
13 V nickels
1 Barber half dollar
2 Barber quarters
1 flying eagle quarter
94 Indian head pennies (oldest 1864)
9 buffalo nickels
4 recent nickels
15 foreign coins (nothing very good)
20 wheat pennies ( 30's, 40's, 1 shot with a bullet)
1 token (Good For 5 cents in trade), slick on the back
1 sheild nickel 1836 (the best I can tell)

Not a 'bad haul' for me. :P

Fossis.............

Attachments

• Found on the River 010.JPG
    Found on the River 010.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 10,292
  • Found on the River 011.JPG
    Found on the River 011.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 10,178
  • Money Finds 001.JPG
    Money Finds 001.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 10,954
Upvote 31
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
sorry for being late but i ignored the banner until i realised who posted it. great find :hello2:

Thanks, better late than never. :P

Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mhagy1 said:
Super find Fossis. :notworthy: Now that you found the silver in the creek(river), now find them gold nuggets. :icon_thumright: Congrats!

Thanks, we're not known for 'nuggets in this country, just some flour Gold, but maybe someone lost a few Gold coins around. :dontknow:

Fossis............

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Fossis, really great find, I hope your toe does not hurt anymore :laughing9: Nice story!

Nice Dutch coin, its a 2 1/2 gulden coin from Wilhelmina (queen from 1898 to 1940), its in great condition. I don't see the mention of a date but some of those dated 1932 or 1938 (with rough hair) are worth a bit in this condition, hopefully its one of those (say 125 to 200 euros). That was a great way to find coins.

It brought back memories of when I was 8 or 9, living in Lancaster California. Lancaster is desert land (Mojave) and I had to walk to school across a few dirt fields, watching out for rattlesnakes. The town was not really built up back then, so there were many lots/areas just of dirt and tumbleweeds. One day I was looking for nice stones while walking to school and I took a somewhat other path and did exactly what you did, saw a tin can poking a bit out of the soil and kicked it, the lid flew off (it was a old peanut can), and I though wow! That was neat, the lid flew just great! Then before I walked on my eyes caught on something that looked like a coin....

I of course stopped, a coin of course meant = CANDY!. Well got the can out with the coins, it was full. There were old quarters, old half's, silver dollars (Morgan) and EVEN about (if my memory is correct) 7 or 8 gold coins in it. I was not into the coin hobby back then - did not have any coins - but can remember there were a number of $2 1/2 coins (with an eagle on it), some $10 coins (with an Indian on it) and 1 or 2 $5 coins (also eagle)! Well I was not going to tell anyone, it was mine! Back in the late 40's we did not get allowance, or not much, nickles or dimes. So this was great. Took it home after school and hid it, once in a while taking a coin out and spending it at the candy store across from the school (of course is was there!). Everything was in dollars or dollar cents, so the woman at the store had no problem with taking them in. The 5 and 10 gold pieces were really neat, I wanted to keep them but I needed every bit of sugar there was to grow up and become a man (I thought). It took some time to get rid of them all.

I have hated that i did that all my life, what great coins they were, just looked new, fresh from the press. They had never really been used at all, that's why I liked them. But that is the way life is.... and the dentist was happy with me. :hello2:

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
Wow Fossis, really great find, I hope your toe does not hurt anymore :laughing9: Nice story!

Nice Dutch coin, its a 2 1/2 gulden coin from Wilhelmina (queen from 1898 to 1940), its in great condition. I don't see the mention of a date but some of those dated 1932 or 1938 (with rough hair) are worth a bit in this condition, hopefully its one of those (say 125 to 200 euros). That was a great way to find coins.

It brought back memories of when I was 8 or 9, living in Lancaster California. Lancaster is desert land (Mojave) and I had to walk to school across a few dirt fields, watching out for rattlesnakes. The town was not really built up back then, so there were many lots/areas just of dirt and tumbleweeds. One day I was looking for nice stones while walking to school and I took a somewhat other path and did exactly what you did, saw a tin can poking a bit out of the soil and kicked it, the lid flew off (it was a old peanut can), and I though wow! That was neat, the lid flew just great! Then before I walked on my eyes caught on something that looked like a coin....

I of course stopped, a coin of course meant = CANDY!. Well got the can out with the coins, it was full. There were old quarters, old half's, silver dollars (Morgan) and EVEN about (if my memory is correct) 7 or 8 gold coins in it. I was not into the coin hobby back then - did not have any coins - but can remember there were a number of $2 1/2 coins (with an eagle on it), some $10 coins (with an Indian on it) and 1 or 2 $5 coins (also eagle)! Well I was not going to tell anyone, it was mine! Back in the late 40's we did not get allowance, or not much, nickles or dimes. So this was great. Took it home after school and hid it, once in a while taking a coin out and spending it at the candy store across from the school (of course is was there!). Everything was in dollars or dollar cents, so the woman at the store had no problem with taking them in. The 5 and 10 gold pieces were really neat, I wanted to keep them but I needed every bit of sugar there was to grow up and become a man (I thought). It took some time to get rid of them all.

I have hated that i did that all my life, what great coins they were, just looked new, fresh from the press. They had never really been used at all, that's why I liked them. But that is the way life is.... and the dentist was happy with me. :hello2:

Thanks, the nice thing about the Dutch coin is, we have a State Park in Western AR named for Gueen Wilhilmena, the KCS railroad was seeking funding to build the line through the area, they approached the Dutch gov & secured funding.
Alas, the Gueen never visited, but it is a fitting tribute for their help.
yeah, we live & learn, candy was our #1 priority in our younger days, & your dentist was happy. ;D

HH, Fossis..........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BomberJohn said:
Congrats on the dream find and making the banner. :hello2:

HH
John

Thank You

Fossis............

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!!!! :headbang: Who could be so lucky? That's what keeps me going when you show me stuff like that. :laughing7:... yep!,,,yep! :laughing7:

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a find of a lifetime right there. Congrats on that Fossis.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can just picture all us T'netters with heads cocked sideways to see all of your cache, eyes bugged out, drooling into our own ears. :laughing9:

Fossis, you rule! :whip2:
I am so happy for you.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great eyeball find ! :icon_sunny:
Congrats on making banner

GG~

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spitfire55 said:
Wow!!!!! :headbang: Who could be so lucky? That's what keeps me going when you show me stuff like that. :laughing7:... yep!,,,yep! :laughing7:

I didn't think it would ever happen to me, so 'hope springs eternal'. :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rookie2 said:
Man that is a find of a lifetime right there. Congrats on that Fossis.

It sure was, thanks.

Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
midnightmoon said:
I can just picture all us T'netters with heads cocked sideways to see all of your cache, eyes bugged out, drooling into our own ears. :laughing9:

Fossis, you rule! :whip2:
I am so happy for you.

I planned it that way to make you work harder, naaa, the other pic didn't work. :laughing7:
Thanks
Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
Great eyeball find ! :icon_sunny:
Congrats on making banner

GG~

After searching for Indian Artifacts for years, I got lots of practice. :P

Thanks
Fossis..............

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a FANTASTIC find and a well deserved banner find! :thumbsup: Breezie

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie said:
Congratulations on a FANTASTIC find and a well deserved banner find! :thumbsup: Breezie

Thanks
Fossis..............

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find and without a detector! :headbang:

RyanOShea

Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac. Ex2. X-Terra. Garret pro pointer. Fisher Headphones, Whites headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good lord! There is a story that will never get old sharing with people. This is just fricking amazing!!!
So cool you found this nice cache! Can full of history. Totally awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread