Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

This relic gave a very nice silver signal on my Explorer SE at about 4" in depth. After digging over eight I was annoyed to have found what I thought was just some old copper wire. After a closer look it dawned on me that it was probably the frame to a hand mirror -- though quite spartan in appearance. The round copper wire seems to have small parallel ridges in it.

The property on which it was found had a house on it that went back to the 1800's and was torn down -- unfortunately tough hunting as the strata appear to be disturbed by the demolition. Across the street is an old Dutch house that dates back to the late 1600's - 1700's. And Washington's troops also marched in the area.

I'm hoping someone can give me some more info on how old it is and it's possible orgin. It's about 12" in length in its present condition. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• HandMirror001.jpg
    HandMirror001.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 513
Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Eric, & welcome to Treasure-net. :thumbsup:
Maybe someone can help with an I.D.

Fossis..............

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Hello Eric. There are alot of great minds and great friends you will meet on this site. If you want an ID, this site is the place to discover it. Welcome to the TNet!!!!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the kind welcome Fossis and 1Liquigirl!! :thumbsup: Been a member of another site (Explorer forum) for past 10 years (been detecting about that long now), but this site seems to have a lot more friendly and knowledgeable members. My buddy posted a topic called "Epic Hunt" a few weeks back (I was the "other" guy referenced in the post ;D) and I was impressed with all of the wonderful replies we received on our amazing hunt that day. Thanks again!!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rug beater?
Wife beater?
A beater of some sort?
Cool find either and all ways.
Carl

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Michelle!

I don't think so because there's no place to string it :) The "U" channel that looks like it was round at one point appears wide enough to hold a piece of glass to me. That's why I thought hand mirror, but perhaps looking glass too? I'm struck by it's very inornate design. Someone on another forum floated the idea of Indian Trade Goods and there was also an Indian occupation in this viscinity.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Erik in NJ said:
Hi Michelle!

I don't think so because there's no place to string it :) The "U" channel that looks like it was round at one point appears wide enough to hold a piece of glass to me. That's why I thought hand mirror, but perhaps looking glass too? I'm struck by it's very inornate design. Someone on another forum floated the idea of Indian Trade Goods and there was also an Indian occupation in this viscinity.

Welcome to TNet!

Part of a branding iron? What part of NJ are you in Erik?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik in NJ said:
Thanks for the kind welcome Fossis and 1Liquigirl!! :thumbsup: Been a member of another site (Explorer forum) for past 10 years (been detecting about that long now), but this site seems to have a lot more friendly and knowledgeable members. My buddy posted a topic called "Epic Hunt" a few weeks back (I was the "other" guy referenced in the post ;D) and I was impressed with all of the wonderful replies we received on our amazing hunt that day. Thanks again!!

If it's the explorer forum I'm thinking of I joined the same time as you, but left after 5 years do to the forum admin and a few others being @#*&&^* This place is FAR better than there, and any other detecting site on the net as far as I'm concerned. If this place ever closed up shop I would go back to not posting much like I did when I left the other place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread