Unhunted creek yields two hundred coin days!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Almost two weeks ago I hunted in a creek adjacent to an old park I like to bottle dig at....well I decided to walk the creek a bit that is just off of a spill way.....I usually find some coins near where I dig, so I started looking....I made it up the creek a bit from where I usually look, and started seeing a bunch of old spark plugs and older material in an low lying area....Ito dig a bit, and started coming up with coins out of the sand....before I knew it I had 25 or so coins....it was getting late, so I left with plans to go back that next day....When I got there, I started in the same area and the first coin I saw stuck between two rocks turned out to be a first for me...a 1926 Standing Liberty quarter! Well this was the way to start off the day! I spent about two hours there digging in the sand and water, and ended up finding over 100 coins! Also found some jewelry and other odds and ends....again, I left and came back the day after, only to dig up another 120 or so coins! My total for the three days of digging were 270 coins! I didn't even have to bring my detector! I figured that years of flooding on and off washed all of the coins and things to an outside curve of the creek....I am going to go back and dig the area really well and find the heavier silver....I did end up getting the standing liberty, a merc ('26) two dateless buffalo nickels, a mexican coin, and a british 20Pcoin from '67...also found a gold plated ring, a girls scout badge, a silver ID bracelet with a name, and a date on the back of 6.1.58....also found what looks like the rowel off of a spur...Can't wait to go back...it looks as if this spot has NEVER been hunted.....Not shown are about 20 keys, 30 or so spark plugs, various pieces of copper tubing and brass pieces, and tons of metal for my mother in laws art projects....I have stumbled onto a really productive area!

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!
Baggins

008.JPG

001.jpg

018.jpg

023.JPG

024.JPG

010.jpg

276.JPG

281.JPG

280.JPG

279.JPG

278.JPG

Upvote 0

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Looks like a good scooper would do the trick. That's quite a load...and I'm sure there's more there if you get past the junk on top!

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
DMN said:
Looks like a good scooper would do the trick. That's quite a load...and I'm sure there's more there if you get past the junk on top!

Yea, there is a TON of junk in there...you'd never get a detector anywhere near the water...just gonna have to dig...most of this stuff all came out of an area maybe 20' x 10'.....not pictured is about 50 plus pounds of metal and junk....with triple that that I could not carry out...
Baggins

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o

That's a lot of coins :o the rowel thing is actually a pastry cutter :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
:o

That's a lot of coins :o the rowel thing is actually a pastry cutter :thumbsup:

SS

Thanks SS, thought it looked a bit thick for a rowel..
Baggins

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Terrific find,buddy.The rest of the 'six pack' must have missed your call,right?Just kiddin'.I think you are on to something great there.Remember that gold sinks faster so it's probably under that stuff you are finding.Keep us posted as you dig/recover.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Sean.....I hope you can hit when's there's a good drought ;D Nice save's :thumbsup:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Found the money hole, huh? Good for you! More people should try hunting the gravel and sand bars of their local streams during low water times. If shallow streams are involved, you can come up with some real winners!

Check those sparkplugs, too. Probably not going to find the ones I'm thinking about: used in jet airplanes, and have to be changed out every week or so. But some specialized sparkplugs have platinum in 'em. Word to the wise.

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Tuberale said:
Found the money hole, huh? Good for you! More people should try hunting the gravel and sand bars of their local streams during low water times. If shallow streams are involved, you can come up with some real winners!

Check those sparkplugs, too. Probably not going to find the ones I'm thinking about: used in jet airplanes, and have to be changed out every week or so. But some specialized sparkplugs have platinum in 'em. Word to the wise.

Thanks for the heads up...how can you tell? I still have a ton of them there to pick up...
Baggins

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Baggins! I resized your pics per the request of several people who wanted to see em better.

Hope you have this much success next week...see you then.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Hey RR, thanks for the help...and if I don't find as much...that's ok, I get to see yall!
Baggins

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
thats very cool, got an idea about a place like that. hope you find more old coins :headbang:

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a simular experience 30/40 years ago in an old creek bed below the park. The swimming pools didn't have a filter system and the pool was drained every three days. This spot was down stream about 50 feet from where the drain came out of the ground. Wasn't any junk that I remember, but lots of coins and jewelry. This was before I even heard of a metal detector. Make a screen sifter.

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
kenley said:
I had a simular experience 30/40 years ago in an old creek bed below the park. The swimming pools didn't have a filter system and the pool was drained every three days. This spot was down stream about 50 feet from where the drain came out of the ground. Wasn't any junk that I remember, but lots of coins and jewelry. This was before I even heard of a metal detector. Make a screen sifter.

Totally, a screen is gonna be the next thing I make to take down there!
Baggins

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a 'hot spot', great finds. :thumbsup:

Fossis...........

Top Member Reactions