Amazing Site:1783 KG III Half-Guinea Counterfeit & 1 of best finds of year!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Site:1783 KG III Half-Guinea Counterfeit & 1 of best finds of year!

Hey Guys, I'm still on Cloud 9 right now!.....Myself and diggin' buddy Jeff went out to do some field hunting yesterday at a new site hoping to get maybe another King George Copper or something of the like as Jeff had dug a nice counterstamped KGII Copper the day before. I had school so could not make it but on our return, I focused on an area down from the high spot in the field, a spot that had some trash but that hadn't really been hit previously. After about an hours time I had only dug a few pieces of lead and the infamous can slaw which had been strewn about by the plow :( :P I kept on swinging along and then all of a sudden I got a PERFECT signal with a V.D.I. of +45 which is usually a button or a coin. I dug down about 6 inches and out popped a two-piece button! Now this was unexpected as Jeff hadn't dug any out there the previous day.....I was very intrigued at what it might be as the size was not quite Coat and not quite cuff, more of a school coat or vest size......I noticed the backmark was Scovills Mfg Co which is an 1850-1865 backmark and was an unusual shape. This got me very excited as i'm pretty keen as to how Eagle Buttons look and feel and this definitely wasn't one! When I turned the button over, I saw a nice green face but with alot of dirt clumped to it.....when I lightly brushed it away I saw COLUMNS! and IMMEDIATELY I thought Norfolk Military Academy :o :o :o :o :o :o :o But I didn't want to get my hopes up too high until I was sure. But after a few minutes of cleaning away the dirt alittle better and verifying....it was undeniable: a genuine Confederate NORFOLK MILITARY ACADEMY BUTTON!!!!! :wav: :wav:
In the world of Civil War buttons, the N.M.A. button ranks right at the very top as one of the rarest and hardest to find Confederate Buttons, just like the H.M.A.s from a couple months ago. It was originally misidentified by our good buddy Mr. A. Albert as being from Transylvania University of Kentucky and is a VERY WELL known fact that most Civil War Relic-hunters know about. Butch Holcombe of American Digger, Steve Sylvia of North-South Trader, Harry Ridgeway of The Civilwar Relic Man and Civil War relic-hunter and legend Buddy Andes will & have verified this well-known misidentification attributed by Albert.
Norfolk Military Academy still stands in downtown Norfolk, Virginia today and is an exceptionally beautiful structure. It was a military academy before the war and once the South Seceded, a Confederate Military Academy. It was also the military alma-mater of none other than Col. Walter Taylor, General Robert E. Lee's Adjutant and Aide-de-Camp for the duration of the Civil War and the person to General Lee's left in the now famous photo of himself, Colonel Taylor and Gen. G. Lee, Robert E. Lee's son. Many a Graduates from N.M.A. went off to fight in Northern Virginia against the Army of the Potomac.
Having dug this button and the Alabama Volunteer Corps Button (a rare button in its own right) in one month is something I may not be able to do again for a long time because of the rarity of these buttons. Although I probably will never sell it, the Norfolk Military Academy buttons rarely come up for sale but when they do they usually sale for around $1000.00 give or take a couple hundred!

In addition, I also dug a Sweet copper on Monday that I'd never seen before in this area as it was very thin, the size of a farthing and just FUNNY LOOKING! Something wasn't right :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: IT WAS TOO THIN??? And the shield on it was nothing like a King George III Virginia Halfpenny, the only other copper around here with a Shield Coat-of-Arms on it........???
COME TO FIND OUT....IT WASNT A COPPER AT ALL, but a forgery of a gold coin!; a King George III 1/2 guinea counterfeit!!!! That's why it was so thin :o
I love this find as well because I don't think that there are too many in this area...I've never found one around here and I've been digging around here for a long time.....it would've been cool though if there had been alittle gold left on it :dontknow: Oh well I guess, still a pretty cool find!!!

Also ended the day with a Large Cent, New York Cuff and the usual Eagle "A's".

Thanks for taking the time to post to you guys that do. I know its easier to just look at a post and keep trucking so it means that much more when you guys actually post something so I appreciate it fellas :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: HH

ALL FINDS FOUND BY ME ON PRIVATE PROPERTY WITH CONSENT OF THE OWNER

Col. Walter Taylor who attended Norfolk Military Academy is standing on the right side (Gen. Lee's left) of photo.

Robert-Walter.jpg

NORFOLK MILITARY ACADEMY
nor_acad.jpg

NORFOLK MILITARY ACADEMY BUTTON (Confederate Military Academy Est. 1804)

Fresh out of the Hole:

October 6th 2010.jpg

Before Rinsing: (Put it in a pill bottle and caked dirt around it to hold the moisture in and stabilize until I got home)

MD Pics 930ed.jpg

After Rinsing and lite brushing: (More Gilt on this button, will clean it slowly though to keep from damaging)

Front:
October 6th,2010 010.jpg

Back: (Backmark: SCOVILL Mg. Co. 1850-1865)

October 6th,2010 007.jpg

Video:

1780s-1800s King George III Half-Guinea Gold Coin Counterfeit

thumb01099.jpg
(Photo of real George III Half-Guinea)

geot.jpg
geotf.jpg
(Photo of another Countefeit)

MD Pics 924.jpg

MD Pics 925.jpg

MD Pics 917.jpg

MD Pics 923.jpg

MD Pics 926.jpg

MD Pics 927.jpg

181? Matron Head Large Cent

October 6th,2010 004.jpg

New York Cuff Button (Still has alittle crud on it that I'll have to clean off, should clean up nice)

MD Pics 942.jpg

22043_07_10_10_1_37_15_1.jpeg
[/youtube]
http://upload.youtube.com/my_videos_upload

GROUP SHOT (Including 1862 Fatty Indian, Nice Gilted Flower Button, Eagle "A's" and other campsite finds...)

22043_07_10_10_1_35_26_2.jpeg

22043_07_10_10_1_35_25_1.jpeg

Upvote 0

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Amazing Site!: 1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of year

You lucky dawgs!!!!

I can't believe you dug a Norfolk! I want one of those!

BANNER my friend Banner :headbang:

You suk :D

Just kidding.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Amazing Site!: 1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of year

Great finds :headbang: you guys got it made in the shade down there :laughing7: that cuff is a great find Good hunt :thumbsup: Jim

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Amazing Site!: 1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of

Wow, Josh, you hauled in the Colonial goods. I am loving that forged coin. You guys are having a wonderful year. Amazing!

Kirk :hello:

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac

WOW WOW WOW......You guys are killing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
You have my banner vote.....once again!!!!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES :tongue3:
WOW great button! Banner find!
THe counterfiet is awesome!
WTG!!!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Great Rare & Historic Finds!
Congratulations!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great stuf you can still see the plating on the coin :o

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010

AWESOME!! keep finding those finds good luck and keep digging krazyhorses

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Josh, that counterfeit King George III is a great find. It is good to see the coppers popping from down south!

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awesome finds from our early history! :notworthy:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
You lucky dawgs!!!!

I can't believe you dug a Norfolk! I want one of those!

BANNER my friend Banner :headbang:

You suk :D

Just kidding.
:D :tongue3: I Know you're just messing around...but on a real note, I KNOW, its crazy! That was the ONLY 2 PIECE button that came out of that field!!! And it was one THAT RARE :o

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My gawd !! :o :o :o And just when I thought it was safe to start digging again. Your killin' us ! :laughing7: Banner fo' sure for the Norfolk MilitaryAcademy button or the counterfeit guinea :dontknow: either one or both :headbang: :headbang: Congrats d a w g

2country

Apr 23, 2006
SE Virginia

Nice . Yall are just killing those old military buttons . I don't find too many out my way and I'm right down the road from yall . Nothing out here but poor farmers who lost lots of flat buttons it seems like .

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Amazing Site!: 1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of

Kirk PA said:
Wow, Josh, you hauled in the Colonial goods. I am loving that forged coin. You guys are having a wonderful year. Amazing!

Kirk :hello:

:wink: Thanks Kirk, I can't believe that's what it was when I I.D.ed it. No wonder I couldn't I.D. it at first.... :tongue3: You guys had quite a hunt too last weekend!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tnrelicman said:
WOW WOW WOW......You guys are killing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
You have my banner vote.....once again!!!!

Thanks TNrelicman :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: You rock buddy! :icon_thumright: :wink:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Josh, are you and Jeff breaking into museums at night-LOL. I have NEVER seen two hunters have a year like two you have had to date. I know for a fact that you guys work very hard for the incredible finds you have made including the English coinage and CW finds. Don't overload the BANNER BAR on Tnet at the new site. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kyle PA said:
Josh, that counterfeit King George III is a great find. It is good to see the coppers popping from down south!

Thanks Kyle, thanks much man! You guys did GREAT last weekend too! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Re: Amazing Site:1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of year!

Wow just Wow

:icon_thumright:

Banner vote for sure

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Re: Amazing Site:1783 King George III 1/2 guinea forgery & 1 of best finds of year!

Very nice finds. I will go out on a limb and say the coin seems to be an 1811. Could be wrong though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions